You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Chris Cornell - No One Sings Like You Anymore Vol. 1

James wrote:

This was released with no promo. I had no idea until just now that it even existed. I rarely check Soundgarden/Cornell news.

It's a covers album...and Vol. 1 tells us more will be coming.

I was right....had he lived, he'd go in the Johnny Cash, Rod Stewart, Michael McDonald direction and spend a portion of his career doing covers.

Get It While You Can
Jump Into The Fire
Sad Sad City
Patience
Nothing Compares 2 U
Watching the Wheels
You Don't Know Nothing About Love
Showdown
Stay With Me Baby

It's worth the purchase for a studio version of Nothing Compares 2 U. It's not as powerful as the live version on Sirius but it's serviceable.

I'm shocked by the Ghostland Observatory cover(I saw them live in 2007) but I wish he had covered Midnight Voyage...their best song.

I wish he was alive to go through this stuff. I don't think he would have released some of these. Nothing Compares... is sterile compared to the live version. I think he would've did another vocal take on that one before releasing it.

Nice choice on the Lennon cover but I'm not digging his interpretation of it. It also feels like a demo. Maybe it's a grower.

Showdown pretty good... feels like a demo though.

To Be Treated Rite and Stay With Me Baby are gems.

Still weird hearing him sing Patience.

Anyways...check it out. I'm hoping Vol. 2 has a better assortment of covers. I'm dying for a studio version of Fascination Street.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Was going to start a topic about this and was surprised no one had!

I've grown to love the Patience version - haunting.
For me the absolute standout along with Patience is the Lennon cover of "Watching the wheels". Stunning.
Also enjoy "Jump into the fire",  "Get it while you can" and "Stay with me baby"

In the biggest development for me at least - as part of the press, his wife has said a lot more is coming including the Soundgarden stuff they were working on. That is a stunning development.
I'll find the quotes....

jimmythegent

jimmythegent wrote:

From recent Vicki Cornell interviews:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai … 876393001/

"Q: After this album, is there more unreleased music from Chris that could see the light of day?
Cornell: Yes. All of Chris' music, including Soundgarden, will see the light of day because there's nothing in the world that lifts me most than sharing Chris' gifts, having people speak his name, and having his music out there. He's alive that way and his legacy lives on. So it's the most important thing to me, seeing how much people love him, miss him, respect him, and how much we want more of his music out there. So everything will be released. "

This quote from the same interview is intriguing...

"Q: In light of his death, are there any other songs that resonate differently with you now?

Cornell: A lot of people think Chris was suffering from depression. He was not and this album illustrates that. ... Chris was a very happy man: a father and husband, and happy with his life. I think a lot of these songs, though, did resonate with him differently."

Can't say I agree with that - anyone who was paying close attention to the lyrics on the Higher Truth album might beg to differ here. Also, someone who chooses to hang themselves while alone in a hotel room isn't depressed? I guess it's a coping mechanism for her.

From another interview, this is a nice insight into the Patience cover.

"Baltin: The video for "Patience" was so well done. Take me through that a bit.
Cornell: People think, "Oh yeah, you go through pictures and that's fine." When you go through pictures and you've suffered los, number one, it's hard. You see the beauty of it and the difficulty of it, but also it's really time consuming. But it's almost like I heard Chris saying it, "This is the one." But it's true and it just came to me and we put together that video. So it was a very special project with that song. And even that song actually, when Chris went in the studio he had a list of songs. He's one of those, "We don't waste any time. You only go in when you're fully ready." And with "Patience" it actually came up because my daughter loves that. Huge, huge, huge Guns 'N' Roses fan and huge Axl [Rose] fan. She wore a bandanna, she literally wore the bandanna. It was all about Guns 'N' Roses and Axl. He taught her how to play the song on the guitar and then he started singing it and it actually worked. Then he went in the studio and decided to record it. He also did it to pay tribute to the band cause they had just announced they were going back on the road again. He owed one to Axl anyway. It all just came together naturally, but that was totally our little Toni being such a huge fan. "

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevebalti … dio-album/

jimmythegent

jimmythegent wrote:

Just to refresh memories around what this new Soundgarden album could be and how they would go about it, this article is illuminating. Of all bands, I would trust Soundgarden to do a stellar and respectful job of finishing it right.

https://www.kerrang.com/the-news/a-new- … -possible/

A New Soundgarden Album Featuring Unreleased Chris Cornell Recordings Is “Entirely Possible”

Soundgarden’s Kim Thayil believes that the band have another record in them.

Not for the first time, guitarist Kim Thayil has been asked about the potential for a new Soundgarden record featuring unreleased recordings by the late Chris Cornell.

Having spoken previously about the existence of unheard material with Chris’ vocals, Kim recently expanded on those comments, telling SiriusXM’s Trunk Nation LA Invasion of the possibility of new Soundgarden songs emerging:

“It is entirely possible, because that’s what we were doing… We definitely have another record in us. Stuff that’s written, stuff that’s demoed and recorded – certainly. All it would need is to take the audio files that are available. I’d tighten up the guitar stuff that’s on there, add other stuff. Ben [Shepherd] does the bass. Matt [Cameron] is able to get the drums he wants. We can get the producers we want to make it sound like a Soundgarden record. And yes, we can totally do that.”

Explaining the reasoning for anything potentially hindering the plans for a follow-up to King Animal, Kim simply stated that it was all down to if they could get ahold of Chris’ old recordings.

“There shouldn’t be – there really isn’t – other than the fact that we don’t have those files,” he said. “And I think that will happen. It would be ridiculous if it didn’t. But these are difficult things – partnerships and property.”

James

James wrote:

Both sides must have reached an agreement. It's about time. Nothing good was going to come from that feud. It was splitting the fan base.

I'm hoping they stick to the actual Soundgarden songs. I know it's not a lot but I'd rather they work on those and maybe add a few old, unreleased songs to fill it out. I don't want them taking Cornell solo songs and adding music to them.

Let's keep this as authentic as possible.

James

James wrote:

It was a grower. I was running around and went shopping today and this album was the soundtrack. I heard it 3 times.

I was initially harsh on the Nothing Compares... cover. It's great but that live version was magical.

Watching the Wheels is pretty good. It's an odd way to cover. One of my favorite Lennon songs and his cover throws me off a bit.

Gotta give him credit though...it's a unique selection of covers.  He could've played it safe by covering nothing but hits.

Can't wait for more volumes.

I still can't believe he covered Ghostland Observatory. Anything is possible at this point.

You know what would be awesome?

Cornell covering Bucket and adding his own lyrics.

James

James wrote:

Incredible. My favorite song right now.

That's a hit. If he was alive, this song would be gaining traction fast.

This song also increases my expectations for a studio Fascination Street.

Both songs were performed on the Temple of the Dog tour in 2015.

James

James wrote:
James wrote:

Both sides must have reached an agreement. It's about time. Nothing good was going to come from that feud. It was splitting the fan base.

This just got a helluva lot uglier. They are now going to sue each other over the rights to the Soundgarden name.

Apparently they tried to buy out Cornell's portion of ownership for 300k. She had previously tried to buy them out for 20 mil.

Fans have just been plunged into the worst case scenario....his greedy widow throwing a wrench into everything and killing any potential creativity/projects.

If it gets dragged out for years, no one will care anymore and the future material won't be worth much.

I'm siding with the Soundgarden guys but on the other hand....were they trying to buy out Cornell to continue the band without him? I'm not a fan of that possibility. While I would like the three of them to continue making music, doing it under the Soundgarden name isn't kosher.

The guys and Vicky need to call a ceasefire for a couple years and finish that final Soundgarden album. After that, a Down on the Upside deluxe edition....after that, one final box set clearing out the vault of old demos/unreleased songs.

Split the profits evenly and then work together on other areas such as merch.

Leave your greed at the door.

Give the band and its legacy what it deserves....a nice bookend to their career and something that honors Cornell.

This infighting over money and rights is the exact opposite of what he would have wanted.

Having said all that....we finally know who owns the rights to the name. Fans had speculated for years. I was in the group who believed it was Chris as not a single damn thing ever happened with Soundgarden after he bailed in 96. Now it looks like they owned it together.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:
James wrote:

Split the profits evenly.

14 14 14

I’m unfamiliar to who deserves credit for what but no Chris Cornell, no Guns n’ Roses.

I know music doesn’t sell for shit these days and Soundgarden isn’t exactly a huge act but $300k? For what? Permission to use “I was in Soundgarden” on your club show tour?

James

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
James wrote:

Split the profits evenly.

14 14 14

I’m unfamiliar to who deserves credit for what but no Chris Cornell, no Guns n’ Roses.

I know music doesn’t sell for shit these days and Soundgarden isn’t exactly a huge act but $300k? For what? Permission to use “I was in Soundgarden” on your club show tour?

They shouldn't have lowballed her. It was just begging for more drama and litigation.

While Kim and Ben wrote a decent portion of the songs, yeah it's definitely not Soundgarden without Cornell.

They are worth millions in revenue. This isn't a GNR situation with a small vault. They're currently fighting over the newer material unfinished for one final album.

After that, they've got a couple more album deluxe editions and a box set of demos... maybe two if they scrape the bottom of the barrel. Then take into account all the live footage. Then take into account using their songs in commercials.

It's why she's so focused on controlling the Soundgarden name and material.

It's worth a lot more than any Cornell solo material.

Board footer