You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Posters who vanished long ago....

James wrote:

Been awhile since looking through the archives. I just looked for something Fleetwood Mac related and stumbled upon some members long forgotten. Kept reading some of it and it was bittersweet. This was such an amazing community at the time.

We really took it for granted.

I know I sometimes mention how much I miss certain people like Acquiesce, Polluxlm, or Axlin08/12/16 but there's people who have been gone a hell of a lot longer than that....

DTJ
Elmir
Backslash
CC
Tommy
Tejastech
NYGiants82
Jim Bob
Killing vector
Younggunner
Saikin although he popped up when Cornell died
Axl4Life
Baby dolls
LLL
Mariposa
Nugdified
F*ck Fear
Jessica
Briggsy
AlexH
Robman

I'm missing tons. No offense to those forgotten.  I'd have to go through a bunch of old threads to jog my memory.

We  always liked to portray ourselves as the small, alternative, outlaw community in a small corner of the internet. We sold ourselves short.

We were bigger than that and should've treated ourselves as such. There's a reason various media outlets and celebrities lurked at Evo off and on...and it's not because we were small potatoes.

I have noticed that a small handful of old school members log in from time to time but never post.

So when it comes to memory lane, which long vanished members hit your radar?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Wow...its crazy thinking back on it all the ups and downs we have gone thru

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I know he left in a bad way...but i always enjoyed Bono.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

CC & DTJ stand out. Tejastech & backslash were pretty big posters. Tommie & Jimbob were here a bit few years ago, myb during NITL tour.

I forgot about LLL, wonder what happened to her. One you forgot was Skynyrdgirl. She was attractive but after a while became obvious she enjoyed posting pics on a forum full of guys. Kindof an early instagrammer before it was a thing.

Yeah i miss those years. In some ways this place helped me out thru some tough times and ife. Cant explain why im always here, like an escape from my real world.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

CC & DTJ stand out. Tejastech & backslash were pretty big posters. Tommie & Jimbob were here a bit few years ago, myb during NITL tour.

I forgot about LLL, wonder what happened to her. One you forgot was Skynyrdgirl. She was attractive but after a while became obvious she enjoyed posting pics on a forum full of guys. Kindof an early instagrammer before it was a thing.

Yeah i miss those years. In some ways this place helped me out thru some tough times and ife. Cant explain why im always here, like an escape from my real world.

Is CC Communist China?

James

James wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Wow...its crazy thinking back on it all the ups and downs we have gone thru

And the timespan....March 2006-now.

I realize the community is a mere shell of what it used to be but goddamn...what a great run.

Today I realized that the site was much bigger than we had always perceived it to be.

When you can come up with a list of members like I did after only 5-10 minutes and it's leaving off many people, that's a big community.

It's not surprising that out of all the communities that came out of the early-mid 2000s GNR insanity....

GNR Strip
newguns
GNR Source
Newgnr

Etc

We were the last standing.

Hell....we even outlasted one of the "Big 3"....chinesedemocracy.com....and HTGTH started dying years before our activity nosedived.

I know he left in a bad way...but i always enjoyed Bono

I intentionally left the people involved in that fiasco off my list.

I liked him too. He was really abrasive though.

He had great taste in music.

One you forgot was Skynyrdgirl. She was attractive but after a while became obvious she enjoyed posting pics on a forum full of guys. Kindof an early instagrammer before it was a thing

Yeah she was really something and yeah... definitely got off on the attention.

She also didn't like the few female members of the forum....as if they were competition or something.

Acquiesce was like the anti Skynyrd Girl. She went above and beyond the call of duty to not point out she's a girl to the point that the majority here didn't even know.

I remember telling her back then she could've been more popular than Skynyrd Girl. She was insanely attractive in that girl next door way along with being really intelligent. Could craft lengthy posts putting any male nerd to shame.

I understood the reluctance. Back in those days when forums were the rage with the non-existence of social media, regardless of the forum or its subject, guys always gravitated towards the girls. If you don't have the desire or certain personality type to deal with that kind of attention, it's a drag.

I think it's a big reason why GNR forums had so few openly female members.

The height of the forums run was also the height of my drug addiction. A lot of good and bad memories and yeah...I miss those years too.

I always thought it was funny how I was an internet addict during a period when it was looked down on for being one and then when it reached the point where everyone is an internet addict thanks to smartphones, I can take it or leave it....

James

James wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Is CC Communist China?

Yes.

Hard to believe that he was a teenager back then. Wise beyond his years.

I know I've brought this up before but I always hated long time members (on any site) just leaving and never coming back.

Their fate open ended... like a TV show ending. Did they come back under a new name on a similar site? Did they die?

You rarely get to find out.

Wasn't it by total accident that people found out EFISH died?

Edit

That was a great group of teens in that little posse....

CC
Saikin
Axl4Life
Robman
EFISH
Mandy

James

James wrote:

I just remembered someone else although he mainly posted on HTGTH and ROV.....

Minneapolis NewsMan

He just dropped off the face of the Earth.

James

James wrote:

It was barely acknowledged but I liked how during a brief period we had....

BigBoss(Splat)
Sic
SkyDog
Davegnr2k
gnfnraxl
Nesquick

posting and it was like a mini Sp1at reunion.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

Even still it seems like there are a ton of lurkers...

I always wondered what the appeal of lurking in as even though i was one at some point.

I was mostly intimidated to participate. I wonder what other reasons people lurk around here.

Board footer