You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Posters who vanished long ago....

James wrote:

I've lurked on various sites over the years....

Metal Sludge

The old Soundgarden forum

Old school wrestling forum

Reddit the latest site I lurk.

Just don't feel like posting... especially on a huge site like Reddit. No one really stands out. A sea of anonymity.

Some people like to ignore any potential drama. As far as lurkers here, at this point they're doing one of the following....

Reading Chinese Whispers

Reading the political stuff

What surprises me is long time members logging in yet never posting. Why bother logging in at all? 16

Another aspect of lurking and you'll see even more of it as time goes on if forums stay alive is the fact that thanks to the combination of smartphones, texting, social media, and short attention spans, lengthy posts are going the way of the dinosaur.

People have little incentive to post.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

DavegGnfnr2k was someone I went way back with to the Rollingstone message boards along with Skydog. I really miss DTJ, she was really really cool and would send me dvd bootlegs. She was way into horror and would post sexy pics that I guess rubbed some people the wrong way.

Dizzy at HTGTH I swore was buzz. It was like two peas in a pod, nearly identical in personality, but Dizzy loved Ozzy and Tracy Lords. big_smile

James

James wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I was mostly intimidated to participate.

At the prime of this forum, we would get messages from people sometimes who would say that the length and quality of some of the sites posts was intimidating and they couldn't bring themselves to jump in.

That "mantra" we had back then about the quality here probably didn't help things in that regard.

I don't regret it though...we always had a level of quality control lacking on other forums.....and trolling or what is known as "shit posting" was never allowed to gain any traction here.

James

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

DavegGnfnr2k was someone I went way back with to the Rollingstone message boards along with Skydog. I really miss DTJ, she was really really cool and would send me dvd bootlegs. She was way into horror and would post sexy pics that I guess rubbed some people the wrong way.

Dizzy at HTGTH I swore was buzz. It was like two peas in a pod, nearly identical in personality, but Dizzy loved Ozzy and Tracy Lords. big_smile

The only previous Buzz alias I remember is Slashahaulic.

I'll never forget that time I ran into him on a Spice Girls forum in 2008. I don't remember the name he used there though.

DTJ sent me the greatest salt water Taffy I ever had.

So much time has went by. DTJ's young son has to be in his 20s now...and she's gotta be in her 50s.

Crazy....

Anyone remember Mike Giuliana?  I miss that guy. I think he was the first person to talk to me on HTGTH. Haven't seen him since ROV.

He was friends with DTJ in real life.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Buzz on a spice girls forum is hilarious. I can only imagine a belligerent buzz in a sea of kids.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
James wrote:

One you forgot was Skynyrdgirl. She was attractive but after a while became obvious she enjoyed posting pics on a forum full of guys. Kindof an early instagrammer before it was a thing

Yeah she was really something and yeah... definitely got off on the attention.

She also didn't like the few female members of the forum....as if they were competition or something.

Acquiesce was like the anti Skynyrd Girl. She went above and beyond the call of duty to not point out she's a girl to the point that the majority here didn't even know.

I remember telling her back then she could've been more popular than Skynyrd Girl. She was insanely attractive in that girl next door way along with being really intelligent. Could craft lengthy posts putting any male nerd to shame..

Yeah I remember Synrdgirl didnt like other females and definitely was a competition thing. I remember Acquiesce but didnt know she was a girl, although it sounds familiar, I think it was brought up in a post and I was one of them who was surprised. LLL was cute too, shy, I think she was only here for a short time and between bfs.

Mike Guiliana was a nut. Didnt know he knew DTJ. We wrote on htgth once or twice, he was like a plumber for new skyscrapers and buildings and like broke his wrist. Was out of work for like 6 weeks and accrued about 10,000 posts in such a short time. There were days he posted almost every minute.

Yeah CC was young. Probably only around 30 by now. I think he went to college and barely posted for a year, then dropped off.

AtariLegend wrote:
James wrote:

DTJ
Elmir
Backslash
CC
Tommy
Tejastech
NYGiants82
Jim Bob
Killing vector
Younggunner
Saikin although he popped up when Cornell died
Axl4Life
Baby dolls
LLL
Mariposa
Nugdified
F*ck Fear
Jessica
Briggsy
AlexH
Robman

So F*ck Fear at least still posts on mygnr and I think a few others might still post (just not here).

Jessica randomly logs the forums every few years, she posted a thread on htgth a year or 2 back. She was great.

LLL randomly logged evo too a little longer back than that.

Backlash? He made that random post after years and vanished?

Elmir? I might have imagined it, but he has definitely logged in the past year or 2, but not post.

Jim Bob quit rov or evo after some argument years ago (I think) and continued posting on other forums for a bit (haven't seen the name since) in several years. Didn't like Slash and a big Finck fan (I might be misrembeing)? Curious what he thought about the reunion.

DoubleTalkinJive I missed. I know others might see it differently, but I think she was as important as anyone in the early days. It's a shame she didn't come back.

Axl4Life I assume went to college and smartly stayed away from forums like this?

Robman was part of the gnr2k crew with Efish (r.i.p.), Mandy ect. Not sure on his age, but he did traverse the forums as little as a few years ago (I think).

I wonder if any of the others are still active?

SkynardGirl I think you guys were too harsh on and from a different generation. I always remember her being cool. From what I vaguely remember it sounded like she had a fun life (hopefully still has). Her other half at the time she left was the singer of a certain cover band.

davegnr2k still posts on forums and on discord everyday.

I hope Communist China and Saikin are okay and live good lifes.

James

James wrote:

I remember Skynyrd from 2005 on HTGTH. She had an account before that where she was fairly subdued. She went "all in" on anal sex and became a polarizing figure. We argued quite a bit.

Fast forward to ROV 2006...

I'm in the chat room with a few people and someone brings her up. I mention how her story is fishy and think she might be a gay guy pretending to be a woman. One of them tells her what I said.

All hell breaks loose.

She joins and instantly starts cussing me out. Long story short....we made up and never argued again.

Anyone remember that tiny site I did between ROV and Evo called GNR Unleashed?

Skynyrd Girl did the banners/logo.

Yeah...I know she's a real woman. Talked to her years after she left on Myspace and Facebook.

Having said that....I'd still swear on a stack of bibles that there was something fishy going on with that account early on. We'll never know of course and at this point it doesn't even matter. Just call it a hunch.

I liked her though. The forums lost a little something when she left.

She loved the attention and got spoiled by the love spewed for her at HTGTH. People saying she was the most beautiful woman to ever post at HTGTH.

No she wasn't. Rocket Queen was. Literally supermodel material. She vanished right before Hammerstein I think. Never popped back up.

DoubleTalkinJive I missed. I know others might see it differently, but I think she was as important as anyone in the early days. It's a shame she didn't come back.

She was critical to the continuing success of the forum as we went into 2007. She was unique to GNR forums at the time....a female moderator that everyone loves. Only female staff on forums at the time were Madison and Pandora....who everyone hated.

I take the blame for what happened with her. We had become close since 2005. We'd talk on messenger daily... sometimes for hours in the evening.

In 2008 she had some personal issues in her life. For some reason, it was being taken out on me.  I get it... people need to vent...but don't aim such vitriol at me. After a couple more incidents, I removed her from staff. I knew I was risking imploding the whole site. She left and that was it. I created an environment at the time where people weren't going to ask and eventually everyone just moved on like nothing happened.

A couple years later she came back, posted a couple times, we sent PMs to one another burying the hatchet, and then she never came back again. I think she came back just to make peace and for closure.

If it hadn't been me, it would've been someone else. Not to judge or assassinate character, but she got way too close with various guys on the forum to varying degrees. It was a recipe for disaster. To this day I don't know how she juggled all that.  Yesterday I see that she was sending ID stuff. I didn't even know that.

Skynyrd Girl's stuff was impersonal and shallow. DTJ's was not.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Wait wtf...you can see people’s PMs?

James

James wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Wait wtf...you can see people’s PMs?

No. Why in the hell would you think that?

For the record since it's been brought up....

I was told years ago that on this forum design it is technically possible for admin to read PMs but it would require nerds working overtime to decipher a single PM.

They'd have to dig through a sea of white noise piecing it together...like SETI attempting to hear a message in the cosmos.

No I never asked.

Board footer