You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: The Wrestling thread

misterID wrote:

Dark Side of the Ring season 3 premiers May 6th. Brian Pillman, Nick Gage, Ultimate Warrior, Grizzly Smith (yikes), the Plane ride from hell, and Dynamite Kid will have episodes. Can't fucking wait, especially especially for the Pillman episode.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah Pillman definitely the big one there but I have a feeling that the Grizzly Smith episode may end up being the one that gets a lot of attention.

If done right and they don't hold back like they did with the Von Erich episode, it'll be amazing.

Grizzly Smith...a mediocre wrestler in the pre-Wrestlemania days has two sons...Jake the Snake and Sam Houston.

Dysfunctional family from hell. Hates his father and winds up outshining his dad and brother.

Baby Doll was Grizzly's daughter in law so they might be able to include her somehow.

Dynamite Kid has potential. A real piece of shit.

I want to hear more details about that insurance scam with him and his brother in law (I think) where they busted his niece's kneecaps and then did a fake car wreck to get money.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Don't forget, Rockin Robin was Grizzly's daughter, and that'll be the REAL ugly stuff.

Pillman will be getting a two hour episode. There was no way you could get everything about the Von Erichs in one hour, it was really more about the brothers deaths. But they did go back and do more for that episode.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

Dark Side of the Ring season 3 premiers May 6th. Brian Pillman, Nick Gage, Ultimate Warrior, Grizzly Smith (yikes), the Plane ride from hell, and Dynamite Kid will have episodes. Can't fucking wait, especially especially for the Pillman episode.

Plane Ride from hell for me. Ric Flair WILL NOT come off looking good in that one at all.  Jim Ross got interviewed for that one I think.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

Don't forget, Rockin Robin was Grizzly's daughter, and that'll be the REAL ugly stuff.

My memory is really slipping. How in the fuck did I forget that?!?

First The Breeder's Cannonball, now Rockin Robin.

Yeah they can go various directions with the Grizzly episode.

With the Von Erichs, you gotta go big or go home. Just focusing on the two big deaths(David and Kerry) with a brief mention of Mike simply doesn't do justice to the story.

I'd like a deep dive on the 88-91 period when they were doing terrible financially, sold World Class which became USWA, the crowds have walked away, Von Erichs being phased out, and Chris is old enough to make an attempt to become a wrestler....which is an utter failure obviously.

I wish they'd tackle it properly in a later season.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

How much fun is this?

misterID

misterID wrote:

Mitch, cut & paste this part of the link "avEpDWdh0ag" and place that between the YouTube blocks. Like this,

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Mitch, cut & paste this part of the link "avEpDWdh0ag" and place that between the YouTube blocks. Like this,

thank you...i'm not sure i'm smart enough for this...

misterID

misterID wrote:

Watched an early screening of part 1 of Pillman's DSOTR on YouTube. Good stuff so far, it focused a lot on his personal life, and his Penthouse pet wife.... Yikes! The years and drugs have not been kind. Had no idea Flair liked him so much, but shocked they didn't mention he was a four horseman. Not a lot of focus on his wrestling career outside the Hollywood Blondes. But his "loose cannon" gimmick is so freaking muddled. I mean, people (or just his really weird football coach) were trying to insist that he worked both Eric Bishoff for his early release and worked Vince to hire him... But Dave Metzler (who helped him get hired at WCW) confirmed that Bishoff was in on the gimmick and getting his release. There was no way Eric could give him the big contract he wanted but encouraged him to raise his value to get that big contract and advised his short stint in ECW.

Metzler made it clear Pillman always planned on going back to WCW, he knew Vince would never push him, and he wouldn't have a long career in WWF, Eric was basically his guy -- Dude would have no doubt been in the NWO.

misterID

misterID wrote:

The Macho Man Bio was pretty crap. They go from Wrestlemania III to his feud with Hogan to him jumping to WCW. And why shit on his WCW run when that was pretty significant to his career (like his feud with DDP, which was awesome)? They literally said his run was only good in the eighties. Why put that piece of shit Bubba the Love Sponge on his bio, who did nothing but clown on him with Hogan his whole life -- and insult him for the entire show? Bleh. I did like they finally talked about Gorgeous George, which no other bio has talked about, and his steroid and drug use in the early 2000s.

Board footer