You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Current Events Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Haley is more of a war hawk than DeSantis. Haley probably is a bigger fan of the military industrial complex.

What exactly is the GOP stand on this?  Less on defense spending and intervening in wars and shit or more military hawkishness?

James wrote:

The problem with media sort of candidates like Tucker Carlson is that I have no idea what his real thoughts are on things.  I mean he might be just saying shit for ratings or entertainment purposes.  I think he's smarter than the stuff he peddles.

It's literally for entertainment purposes only.

While I hadn't watched Fox News heavily since the early 2000s, that info turned me off to it completely.

When Fox was being sued for various shit said by Hannity, Tucker, etc. Fox admitted it wasn't meant to be real news(which is a tad ironic), for entertainment purposes only, and no one in their right mind would believe what is being said on the shows.

How this info didn't destroy their careers and kill off Fox News shows in a nutshell how fucked up this country is.

Before SG responds with "But CNN lies too!....

Yes they do. So does MSNBC. However, nothing those two outlets have done comes close to the insanity of admitting your show isn't news but propaganda disguised as entertainment.

Last week's admission by CNN that they played up Covid for ratings and to make Trump look bad is getting awfully damn close though.

I want all these media outlets regulated again.

No lies...only news. The panels of talking heads needs to be limited to a set amount of hours a week. You also have to give equal time to both sides.

I think he's smarter than the stuff he peddles.

He's an elitist...heir to the Swanson foods fortune....who plays a character on TV that relates to the common man. Millions of people fall for it. Apparently like Trump, he's mocked the idiocy of his own followers in private.

These people are despicable and insidious.

The problem on a larger scale is that these people just need to report the news and deliver facts.  I don't mind if you have one or two of these opinion shows but fuck when almost every news show is skewed with the anchor's opinions, I mean what happened to these people being neutral or objective.  Try watching the BBC or whatever.  There's very little opinion and just the simple matter of fact delivery of news stories.  And to be honest, if I wanted slanted opinon types I'd go online.

I disagree on giving both sides equal time.  If one side is peddling false shit, then NO you don't need to give them airtime.  No real time was needed to give the Dems their defund the police thing or the Republicans lie about election fraud.  That's one of the big problems  really.  It just helps one side spin and obfuscate.

As far as Carlson is concerned, I'm shocked he's still relevant given how Jon Stewart fucking nuked him on live tv in 2003.

Tucker is typically the smartest guy in the room. John Stewart is smart but he didn’t nuke him over substance, just called out his bow tie.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Haley is more of a war hawk than DeSantis. Haley probably is a bigger fan of the military industrial complex.

What exactly is the GOP stand on this?  Less on defense spending and intervening in wars and shit or more military hawkishness?

James wrote:

It's literally for entertainment purposes only.

While I hadn't watched Fox News heavily since the early 2000s, that info turned me off to it completely.

When Fox was being sued for various shit said by Hannity, Tucker, etc. Fox admitted it wasn't meant to be real news(which is a tad ironic), for entertainment purposes only, and no one in their right mind would believe what is being said on the shows.

How this info didn't destroy their careers and kill off Fox News shows in a nutshell how fucked up this country is.

Before SG responds with "But CNN lies too!....

Yes they do. So does MSNBC. However, nothing those two outlets have done comes close to the insanity of admitting your show isn't news but propaganda disguised as entertainment.

Last week's admission by CNN that they played up Covid for ratings and to make Trump look bad is getting awfully damn close though.

I want all these media outlets regulated again.

No lies...only news. The panels of talking heads needs to be limited to a set amount of hours a week. You also have to give equal time to both sides.

He's an elitist...heir to the Swanson foods fortune....who plays a character on TV that relates to the common man. Millions of people fall for it. Apparently like Trump, he's mocked the idiocy of his own followers in private.

These people are despicable and insidious.

The problem on a larger scale is that these people just need to report the news and deliver facts.  I don't mind if you have one or two of these opinion shows but fuck when almost every news show is skewed with the anchor's opinions, I mean what happened to these people being neutral or objective.  Try watching the BBC or whatever.  There's very little opinion and just the simple matter of fact delivery of news stories.  And to be honest, if I wanted slanted opinon types I'd go online.

I disagree on giving both sides equal time.  If one side is peddling false shit, then NO you don't need to give them airtime.  No real time was needed to give the Dems their defund the police thing or the Republicans lie about election fraud.  That's one of the big problems  really.  It just helps one side spin and obfuscate.

As far as Carlson is concerned, I'm shocked he's still relevant given how Jon Stewart fucking nuked him on live tv in 2003.

Tucker is typically the smartest guy in the room. John Stewart is smart but he didn’t nuke him over substance, just called out his bow tie.

Yeah...well if he’s so fuckin smart then why is his only aspiration to be a host of a fake news show?

He’s got no sense of humor....he’s smug as shit. He is incapable of even attempting to have a real conversation with anyone about anything bc the goal is to put people down regardless of what’s said.

In court...his lawyers defense in some type of slander suit was that no reasonable person could take his show seriously...

So what’s his goal other than being a tv personality? He’s right up there with Jerry Springer and Robert Downey.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

This 'obsession' with Rittenhouse is deranged. Progressives keep bringing him up, trying to compare his case with everything. No one had business being out there on those streets. He was attacked by Leftists with weapons, one had a gun. He immediately called 911 to help the guy and report what he did, then immediately turned himself in. I mean, other than that, completely the same.

Every show on MSNBC has spread misinformation for political purposes, Joy Reid is a homophobic bigot who was caught making homophobic comments, lied about it, brought in the FBI and committed a federal offense by making false statements/reports that she had been hacked. And when confronted with this, she said she couldn't remember doing it -- As a result, she got a primetime network show!

Tucker never claims to be a journalist, the others do. It was Tucker who warned about covid whenever all the other cable networks called it the flu. He called out Fauci for lying when he said "don't wear a mask, it doesn't work" (remember that?).  I don't agree with Tucker on everything, but without him, the Left would have a full media monopoly on disseminating information, and would never be called out for deliberate disinformation. I'm sure that's what really angers progressives, though.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

This 'obsession' with Rittenhouse is deranged. Progressives keep bringing him up, trying to compare his case with everything. No one had business being out there on those streets. He was attacked by Leftists with weapons, one had a gun. He immediately called 911 to help the guy and report what he did, then immediately turned himself in. I mean, other than that, completely the same.

Every show on MSNBC has spread misinformation for political purposes, Joy Reid is a homophobic bigot who was caught making homophobic comments, lied about it, brought in the FBI and committed a federal offense by making false statements/reports that she had been hacked. And when confronted with this, she said she couldn't remember doing it -- As a result, she got a primetime network show!

Tucker never claims to be a journalist, the others do. It was Tucker who warned about covid whenever all the other cable networks called it the flu. He called out Fauci for lying when he said "don't wear a mask, it doesn't work" (remember that?).  I don't agree with Tucker on everything, but without him, the Left would have a full media monopoly on disseminating information, and would never be called out for deliberate disinformation. I'm sure that's what really angers progressives, though.

What does Joy Reid have to do with anything? Talk about out of left field.

I mean yea...it’s cool for a kid to jump state lines and obtain a gun illegally....i hope it happens more. ?

misterID

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

What does Joy Reid have to do with anything? Talk about out of left field.

I mean yea...it’s cool for a kid to jump state lines and obtain a gun illegally....i hope it happens more. ?

Well, mitch, you brought up the media, as if Tucker was some special case. This is a comparison, this is what happens when you bring up a comparison that's comparable. You tried to insinuate he lies, and that's important for you, yet there are real egregious liars in media that you strangely ignore. Just putting it into perspective for you. smile

I'm sure you do!

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

I dont think I’m the one who brought up Tucker...

Ya know...media is like sitting down at a bar...you get to order what you want and as much as you want.

All i ask is that you don’t complain about what you order.

I typically order a whiskey...straight forward, pretty genuine and not contrived. I also drink straight black coffee everyday like a psycho. But it’s straightforward and simple.

I don’t know who Joy Behr is...I’ve never ordered that and i don’t think I’d like it. So i won’t be defending her.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

Btw...i get the appeal of Tuckers position...more than any other network fox churns out these media icons. The power, money and influence associated have to be hard to pass up.

But i don’t believe in any way he means much of what he says.

misterID

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I dont think I’m the one who brought up Tucker...

Ya know...media is like sitting down at a bar...you get to order what you want and as much as you want.

All i ask is that you don’t complain about what you order.

I typically order a whiskey...straight forward, pretty genuine and not contrived. I also drink straight black coffee everyday like a psycho. But it’s straightforward and simple.

I don’t know who Joy Behr is...I’ve never ordered that and i don’t think I’d like it. So i won’t be defending her.

I was responding to you.

Yeah, most people are going to seek out a news source that speaks to them. If media outlets are going to act like activists for whichever political party, just admit that. If they're pretending to be neutral but aren't, they should be called out. I don't like Hannity and I really can't stand Ingram, but I will give them credit that they fully admit they're not journalists and are conservative. I've never heard MSNBC make a similar admission. I do like Steve Karnaki over there.

And yes, you are a complete psycho for drinking black coffee ugggh lol

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

I totally disagree with this part.  The left would never have a "full media monopoly" as you put it.  If anything the networks try to be "fair" and  lean center.  Yeah, maybe there are some shows that lean left but not to the point where you make it sound like "leftist or liberal" info or idealogy is at the heart of American politcs.

Board footer