You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: The Wrestling thread

Neemo wrote:

New Jack was a piece of work...but rip none the less

Regarding Red Rooster, there were too many superstars and not enough screen time or belts in the WWF...lol, the people with less charisma usually didn't last very long...

Anyone seen the movie "fighting with my family"? Was a pleasant surprise

Also who is watching S3 of DSotR?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Welp, it's going to be a battle of Warrior documentaries this week. Bio vs Dark Side of the Ring....

misterID

misterID wrote:

The warrior dark side of the ring was sooooo much better than bio. Now I give a lot of credit for bio showing all the outtakes of his promos and had no idea Vince was so involved with them. And it proves just how high he was on the guy. I wish I could've heard more from Sting. But tdsotr episode was really good with its spot with Jake the Snake, and I had no idea he got screwed out of title run and big money when Warrior decided to hold the WWF hostage for Hogan money and got fired. I think bio also did a better job with the HOF, but strangely enough his ex wife did a better job humanizing him and defending him (Cornette was brutal) than his widow did.

Watch both if you get the chance. Btw, Vince looks terrible.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Jake was NEVER getting a WWF title. I don't doubt that McMahon (or Patterson) blew smoke up his ass to keep him happy during that period....but it wasn't going to happen.

The time to pull the trigger on a Jake title reign was when they had to do a face turn because just like Savage, too many people were cheering him.

You just couldn't hate the guy.

I've said it before but I'll say it again....

Honky should've been a transitional champ to get the IC title off Steamboat into the hands of your next big star now that Hogan and Savage are on the verge of dominating the main event scene with The Megapowers storyline...which also ties up your two biggest heels until the grand finale of the Megapowers exploding.

Get the belt off Honky and put it on Jake or Bigelow.... maybe Brutus. It was the only time someone of that caliber could have a decent run with it.

I'm still flabbergasted that Honkey had it for like a year and a half.

What a waste.

I gotta catch up on this show. Really looking forward to the Grizzly Smith episode.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I think Jake got the title run wrong, the warrior didn't have then. The fact they didn't put Warrior in a true with Savage and Jake during his title run was a huge mistake. I mean, they could have built Demolition Crush as an anti Warrior. There were some missed opportunities during that period.

misterID

misterID wrote:

The grizzly Smith episode probably deserved to be longer with all the different people involved. You didn't hear about the second sister until they brought up her kidnapping. As bad as it was, I actually thought it would be worse. I mean, grizzly having eight-year-old girlfriends at 50 is pretty terrible. Robin really didn't get too into the details about her abuse, which is understandable, but I'd like to know more of what her life was like after wrestling.

James

James wrote:

Holy shit I forgot all about that. Damn.

I've actually got a handful of episodes to catch on.

The Dynamite Kid episode should be another doozy. That dude was insane. I'm hoping they don't dive too deep into animal abuse. Just give us the basics and move on to the rest.

Both him and Davy needed the shit kicked out of them over how they treated Matilda. I wish that story had gone public back then. It would've ruined both their careers.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

The grizzly Smith episode probably deserved to be longer with all the different people involved. You didn't hear about the second sister until they brought up her kidnapping. As bad as it was, I actually thought it would be worse. I mean, grizzly having eight-year-old girlfriends at 50 is pretty terrible. Robin really didn't get too into the details about her abuse, which is understandable, but I'd like to know more of what her life was like after wrestling.

Grizzly Smith is a super interesting story but we're talking about a guy who was in his prime 40-50 years ago. If nothing else it should give you fantastic insight into how carny it really was back then. Quite frankly, I find the shit that happened in that era way more interesting than the highly polished corporate wrestling they put out now.

I believe the fabulous moolah and a few of those old school women wrestlers who were on top allegedly ran a prostitution ring of some sort of the side. They'd bring women on the road with them and whore them our to the male wrestlers on a regular basis. Now that's something I'd like to hear more about.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think Jake got the title run wrong, the warrior didn't have then. The fact they didn't put Warrior in a true with Savage and Jake during his title run was a huge mistake. I mean, they could have built Demolition Crush as an anti Warrior. There were some missed opportunities during that period.

There sure was some missed opportunities. But I kind of chalk it up to how deep the talent roster was back then and the what ifs just seem endless. WCW went a long way by having some of the dream matches and pouncing on some of those missed opportunities and I think it was just as important as the NWO with regard to its success.

Roddy beating hogan for the title was one thing I thought WCW did well. Hogan legit put over Roddy for what I assume to be a nod of the cap to Roddy for what he did for Hulk at the first two wrestlemanias. They also had the legit Ric Flair/Hogan fued that should've happened in WWF in 1992.

Interesting story about Jake...I think they did have bigger plans for him in the early 90s but he abruptly quit. Do you know why? He was promised a job on the booking team which would've added to his pay. Pat Patterson was planning to retire. Obviously that didn't happen and Pat kept the spot. Jake was so pissed about it he left at the height of his popularity. He later got that job in 1996 (didn't replace Pat obviously) when he came back all out of shape as an in ring performer. He very quickly learned he didn't like it or could no longer perform due to his personal problems and only had the job a few months before quitting/being let go.

James

James wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Grizzly Smith is a super interesting story but we're talking about a guy who was in his prime 40-50 years ago. If nothing else it should give you fantastic insight into how carny it really was back then. Quite frankly, I find the shit that happened in that era way more interesting than the highly polished corporate wrestling they put out now.

I believe the fabulous moolah and a few of those old school women wrestlers who were on top allegedly ran a prostitution ring of some sort of the side. They'd bring women on the road with them and whore them our to the male wrestlers on a regular basis. Now that's something I'd like to hear more about.

Nothing alleged about it.

Moolah was essentially a pimp/sex trafficker for decades. It wasn't just for the male wrestlers. Her "wrestlers" had to screw local businessmen and God knows who else in each area they went to....and all the money was funneled into Moolah's pocket.

Sick shit.

Board footer