You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: SMKC Album #4

metallex78 wrote:

It seems as though things are starting to pick up with this album. Slash has posted some photos recently of him in the band in what looks like some kind of video/performance shoot.

He’s also posted some photos of his gear with what looks to be a setlist of old and new SMKC songs.

Looks as though we’re getting another album from them before a new GN’R album.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

This will be his second SMKC album release since returning to GN’R, and GN’R (Axl Rose) still can’t even manage one new single...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I'm mixed on it.

Like TBH by the third Album I sort of felt it was played out.

Not sure if that's about them or me though, could be I personally just moved into some other stuff for a bit. I mean, logically, I should really like that album - there's great riffs and solos - but aside from 1 or 2 songs I just couldn't get into it.

Part of it was I felt some of myles stuff on it was sort of repetitive - which again is weird for me cos I was a big myles fan when he started with slash. Maybe I was burned out.

So on that front I was kinda ready for a GNR album so more Slash solo is kinda not what I needed....that said.... here we are lockdowns and 2 years of covid going on and so on....and now compared to nothing at all the promise of a new slash album sort of interests me again....

especially cos this one will have had a couple of years for slash to refine the riffs and really workshop stuff....which I've thought in the past makes for a better slash album....like when he's creatively pent up....like 5'Oclock, like Contraband....like the first solo album....so I mean it's not GNR which sucks....but who knows...maybe there's another Anastasia somewhere hiding waiting for us.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

I’m a big fan of Myles in Alter Bridge, but with Slash, not so much.

I thought World on Fire was fantastic, and Apocalyptic Love gave us some killer songs in Anastasia, Standing in the Sun, and Halo.

But like Monkey, I kinda thought with the last album, the band was running out of ideas. The riffs and solos were there, but vocally, and song structurally, it kinda sounded like it had all been done before.

Here’s hoping that, with some extra time to work on these songs (as Slash as stated himself), that we get some at least World on Fire level stuff, and maybe, another Anastasia!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Myles ruins it. I can't even bother listening to a hefty portion of Slashs discography thanks to his singer.

I've always wanted a reunion of the first Snakepit. It's still his best album.  While it was a success obviously, had 1995 not been such a quirky year for music, it might have caught on with the mainstream.

He swung for the fences and almost connected.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Living the Dream was trash. Cheese on cheese on cheese. Almost like a parody of a rock band.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Would love a snakepit 1 reunion. Amazing album

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Absolutely, I know I post this yearly, but I think Snakepit 1 is one of the most GNR sounding records he did.

Like obviously it badly lacks Axl in terms of getting it to be a GNR record, but from a guitar POV there's stuff on there that's easily UYI level and some of it has kinda a 'back to basics' AFD feel about it.

I love it as is, but it's a real shame the proper band wasn't really cooperating anymore.

Even as is, it's weird that he hardly ever returns to it - most just Beggars....but stuff like Neither Can I, Dime Store Rock, Soma City Ward...I would love to see these get more love in his setlists.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I wonder if Dover has some rights to the 5 O'Clock stuff that may make it a challenge to incorporate ... or maybe it's just a sore spot in GNR history better left alone

Board footer