You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Wagszilla
 Rep: 16 

Re: We don't really expect a new setlist do we?

Wagszilla wrote:

James your theory would be fine but both normies on social media and the ticket sales have said “we’re tired of the same old” for years now.

Their back catalogue will always be the focus but even the most cynical has-been acts plays a couple of new songs and releases new music if only to justify another tour.

They’d lose nothing by playing more VR or New Guns or “new” music while retaining their classic core. Fans confused? Yeah right. If anything it’d be the time they go on a beer run. This treating your fans like they’re fragile thing is bizarre.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 52 

Re: We don't really expect a new setlist do we?

FlashFlood wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

James your theory would be fine but both normies on social media and the ticket sales have said “we’re tired of the same old” for years now.

Their back catalogue will always be the focus but even the most cynical has-been acts plays a couple of new songs and releases new music if only to justify another tour.

They’d lose nothing by playing more VR or New Guns or “new” music while retaining their classic core. Fans confused? Yeah right. If anything it’d be the time they go on a beer run. This treating your fans like they’re fragile thing is bizarre.

Metallica puts out new music and basically doesn’t tour the US. This band is something else.

davegnfnr2k
 Rep: 0 

Re: We don't really expect a new setlist do we?

davegnfnr2k wrote:

and with the leaked set list we didn't get a new setlist lmao
they just put in hard school / pretty tied up in one slot and that is IF they even play either of them
this band is such a joke they have so many UYI songs they could add
hopefully they actually play other UYI songs like breakdown, locomotive, or anything off those albums.
it looks like the didn't even change the order of songs

davegnfnr2k
 Rep: 0 

Re: We don't really expect a new setlist do we?

davegnfnr2k wrote:
James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

I can't fucking believe Slither & BHS are still on the setlist. What the actual fuck. If Axl insists on playing covers at least vary it up a bit. Play The Last Fight or Messages, VR tracks that would go better with his current voice. If you still need to play Soundgarden, play RATYW or something. Slash keep shredding and getting more technical, give him a challenge.

Nobody cares about The Last Fight and even less care about Messages. You want them playing VR deep cuts and B sides in 2021?!?

The audience would think they are brand new songs. This would cause any potential that Hardschool has to be squandered.

When looking at things such as set lists, you have to stop looking at it from a hardcore fan perspective.

It's not about hardcore fans anymore and hasn't been for a long time. It's about casual fans and will be until the end of the line.

Hell....GNR management...which literally spent nearly 20 years obsessed with forums....no longer gives the tiniest of shits about them.

They only care about social media...which is where casual fans reside.

They aren't seeing requests for VR deep cuts on social media....and wouldn't play them if they did.

Do you know what they're seeing on social media?

Jungle....SCOM....PC....NR.... Patience.....the occasional mention of something new.


I just hope Hardschool is staying in the set even though I'm not a big fan of it. They're not playing it for hardcores.... they're playing it for a large audience...and there has to be a reason for it.

You know why they don't care about forums anymore? Just look at them. Mygnr and HTGTH were two fo the biggest GNR forums and this band and management killed them. They are a waste land now. So there is no need to give a crap about them anymore

James
 Rep: 644 

Re: We don't really expect a new setlist do we?

James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:
James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

I can't fucking believe Slither & BHS are still on the setlist. What the actual fuck. If Axl insists on playing covers at least vary it up a bit. Play The Last Fight or Messages, VR tracks that would go better with his current voice. If you still need to play Soundgarden, play RATYW or something. Slash keep shredding and getting more technical, give him a challenge.

Nobody cares about The Last Fight and even less care about Messages. You want them playing VR deep cuts and B sides in 2021?!?

The audience would think they are brand new songs. This would cause any potential that Hardschool has to be squandered.

When looking at things such as set lists, you have to stop looking at it from a hardcore fan perspective.

It's not about hardcore fans anymore and hasn't been for a long time. It's about casual fans and will be until the end of the line.

Hell....GNR management...which literally spent nearly 20 years obsessed with forums....no longer gives the tiniest of shits about them.

They only care about social media...which is where casual fans reside.

They aren't seeing requests for VR deep cuts on social media....and wouldn't play them if they did.

Do you know what they're seeing on social media?

Jungle....SCOM....PC....NR.... Patience.....the occasional mention of something new.


I just hope Hardschool is staying in the set even though I'm not a big fan of it. They're not playing it for hardcores.... they're playing it for a large audience...and there has to be a reason for it.

I don't think evidence backs up your assertion about TB. Fernando spends almost no time on social media, however he held several Q&As  on GNR Reddit in 2019 and 2020, and gave a 2 hour interview on the GNFNR discord chat last year. He was still doing MYGNR chats in 2018, and only stopped because he was pissed at the way they handled the leaks.

I get your point about the confusion about VR deep cuts being new songs, so that wouldn't be a great idea. But I doubt there were many requests for Wichita Lineman on social media either, not to mention The Seeker which they've played a thousand times. Speaking of social media, the NITL select of BHS released in December was a laughing stock on both Twitter and Facebook and even had some mainstream music news sites mocking it. If Axl is going to do covers he should at least do ones he can sing well. Just look at Youtube comments on Slither videos, lots of casuals not impressed at all with that chorus.

Reddit is a form of social media. Even if you consider it more like a million sub forums within a massive forum (which I do), it is marketed as a social media platform.

Discord is essentially a social media chat room spread across the internet.

My point is the GNR camp doesn't give a fuck about fan forums....and that's true no matter how you slice it.

I was always shocked that it took them so long to abandon forums...the last few years on forums was spent rubbing shit in the faces of long time fans. Once they tired of that, they moved on. They still do it to an extent on social media but not like before.



Of course there weren't requests for Wichita, Black Hole Sun, etc

Adding those killed two birds with one stone...

It broke the monotony of their own set lists.

Paid tribute to artists they liked who had died.

I don't even know what NITL Select is but it sounds like various live videos posted online. Any band.... ESPECIALLY GNR...run the risk of negative feedback on live videos. They're dealing with a vocal minority of fans who spent years waiting for something new. They're not going to jump for joy when that stuff gets posted.


As far as Slither goes....it should've been removed after the novelty wore off. That song isn't required in a set.


This treating your fans like they’re fragile thing is bizarre.

I don't think fans are fragile....I just know the difference between a hardcore fan who spent years following the Chinese saga and a fan buying tickets to hear the big hits....the latter representing 99.9% of the crowd.

When the Stones released albums, you didn't see Jagger go, "Here's a new song called Rough Justice", crowd cheers and digs the song, and then they bust out the Richards solo song 'Wicked As It Seems'...a song ten people in attendance have heard.

The crowds aren't fragile....but they're also not band historians.


James your theory would be fine but both normies on social media and the ticket sales have said “we’re tired of the same old” for years now.

Which I addressed by listing it as one of the things people want on social media. I placed it last because that's where it belongs.

I agree they need a change and it looks like the laws of diminishing returns are coming home to roost.

Covers of VR deep cuts and B sides are not the answer. If that was the answer...covers in general would be good enough.


Their back catalogue will always be the focus but even the most cynical has-been acts plays a couple of new songs and releases new music if only to justify another tour.

Yes they're overdue for something new. A new song and a new compilation should've happened in 2016-17.

It didn't.

Why?

Because they had entered Stones territory where you're this huge legacy act where new releases were not required to keep the machine turning.

Like with everything else...they don't do this properly. While The Stones would do huge tours....they also went away. Crowds started to miss them....and when the next tour is announced, stadiums sell out in minutes.

GNR love the constant cash injection and aren't willing to go away for long because it might risk people no longer giving a shit.

We live in a low attention span, fickle world.

Another thing The Stones started doing the past decade is unloading their vault. It keeps fans happy and helps promote tours. They are literally working on the Tattoo You deluxe edition as we speak.

Other than the AFD box fiasco, GNR refuse to do this.

They also refuse to do any promotion whatsoever.

If they're gonna move forward, move forward. Release Hardschool as a single, promote the shit out of it, and perform it every night.

Half assing it with VR covers isn't going to get the job done.

davegnfnr2k
 Rep: 0 

Re: We don't really expect a new setlist do we?

davegnfnr2k wrote:

Causal fans may not care about unreleased new songs but i am sure causals who go to every show would like a new set list with more UYI songs on it.  And if they are going to do other covers they have a cover album pick from that FFS

James
 Rep: 644 

Re: We don't really expect a new setlist do we?

James wrote:
davegnfnr2k wrote:
James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

I can't fucking believe Slither & BHS are still on the setlist. What the actual fuck. If Axl insists on playing covers at least vary it up a bit. Play The Last Fight or Messages, VR tracks that would go better with his current voice. If you still need to play Soundgarden, play RATYW or something. Slash keep shredding and getting more technical, give him a challenge.

Nobody cares about The Last Fight and even less care about Messages. You want them playing VR deep cuts and B sides in 2021?!?

The audience would think they are brand new songs. This would cause any potential that Hardschool has to be squandered.

When looking at things such as set lists, you have to stop looking at it from a hardcore fan perspective.

It's not about hardcore fans anymore and hasn't been for a long time. It's about casual fans and will be until the end of the line.

Hell....GNR management...which literally spent nearly 20 years obsessed with forums....no longer gives the tiniest of shits about them.

They only care about social media...which is where casual fans reside.

They aren't seeing requests for VR deep cuts on social media....and wouldn't play them if they did.

Do you know what they're seeing on social media?

Jungle....SCOM....PC....NR.... Patience.....the occasional mention of something new.


I just hope Hardschool is staying in the set even though I'm not a big fan of it. They're not playing it for hardcores.... they're playing it for a large audience...and there has to be a reason for it.

You know why they don't care about forums anymore? Just look at them. Mygnr and HTGTH were two fo the biggest GNR forums and this band and management killed them. They are a waste land now. So there is no need to give a crap about them anymore


They don't give a shit about them because they finally realized that forums only represented a minority of fans.

Forums were needed during the CD saga. Hardcore fans were needed as the last line of defense and as first responders....

They hype announced shows and make interest appear bigger

Something leaks...instant feedback

A critical article.... feedback and you can also use a select group of people to craft a specific narrative if the need arises

When the reunion happened....none of this mattered anymore. It was on too large of a scale for the hardcore base to be a factor.

They could simply make announcements on social media platforms and the forum fans just read the updates like everyone else. Forums also saw a massive decline in activity which made them even more useless to the GNR camp.

Funny thing....

Many years ago they attempted to give the middle finger to fan forums by starting the official forum. They quickly found out that constant nutswinging and fake optimism by a select group of sycophants was beyond useless and provided nothing in the form of genuine feedback. They had more disdain for these people than they did for the "haters".

Axl S
 Rep: 109 

Re: We don't really expect a new setlist do we?

Axl S wrote:

Once they got Duff and Slash back together it went from being Axl's fake GN'R to becoming the Guns N' Roses Industrial Complex.

They went from being a midcard touring outfit to being someone who the head of Live Nation isn't going to leave on read if they contacted them.

That's the difference.

I see fans speculating that they chose Hardschool because of the leaks. We are the 1% of fans at these shows who will have heard them. 10% if I am being generous but I would really doubt that.

Most likely they chose this song because it is that song that was meant to go with that Jackie Chan movie in the 90s and it's actually Slash and Duff original. That could also be the reason it didn't make the album in 08 which was supposed to be Axl's big comeback without the old band - would look shitty to have old band members getting writing credits on that record.

Seen some fans complaining or saying they don't want to hear it if Axl sounds shit. Are you guys insane? We all complain about lack of new music and now some are complaining about this and finding negatives. Even if it doesn't get played for months it is still positive that this band with Slash and Duff are soundchecking a tightly rehearsed new song.

It is a clear sign that despite the woeful lack of communication that something with new music is genuinely happening behind the scenes.

Put it this way: them soundchecking it pre covid cancellation in 2020 and then soundchecking it again for this tour has me convinced that eventually we will get new music from them - before, I was beginning to have doubts. Might not be this year, could be years and years from now with how this band works. But it seems very likely we'll get at least one new album of material from this band before they pack it in.

James
 Rep: 644 

Re: We don't really expect a new setlist do we?

James wrote:

Most likely they chose this song because it is that song that was meant to go with that Jackie Chan movie in the 90s and it's actually Slash and Duff original

I think so too and I wish they had unveiled it in 2016.

Get it out of the way and let's move on to Oklahoma/Berlin.


Only a few hundred people cared about that last batch of leaks. The media completely ignored it.

If it had anything to do with those leaks(it doesn't), they'd be doing Perhaps or Atlas Shrugged.

WARose
 Rep: 26 

Re: We don't really expect a new setlist do we?

WARose wrote:

I think I remember something Fortus said about working on material Slash wrote, but i‘m not exactely sure where and when i read that. If I had to guess I‘d say around 2014, but definitely long before Slash was back in the Band. Could have been hardschool.. and it‘s probably not the only song from those days. (Down by the ocean, this i love original version come to mind as well)

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB