You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: We don't really expect a new setlist do we?

Axl S wrote:
misterID wrote:

And I would wager Axl's lifestyle is very, very, very expensive, and he's taking care of a lot of people. Before the reunion he was doing commercials and licensing his music to everything, something he didn't do before. Money is a motivator. And if he's punching a time card on stage, I can understand why he's not releasing anything.

If that's the case it would explain a lot. The album and new music are a useful future tool for promoting a tour when the tours need it. From that point of view, why waste that when you can still sell enough tickets to be decently profitable. Do this touring long enough to bank enough for a long, happy, rich and comfortable retirement.

Still, at some point something has to be coming or if it doesn't there was at least plans for it. They don't tightly practice a new song at rehearsals and then soundcheck it both before the 2020 aborted tour and again for this year unless there are/were plans to do something. So, still reason to hope for something in the near future - just hope they don't get cold feet.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:

At least it's not as bad as him storming off stage for forgetting the lyrics to Patience or ending the show over sound issues. It could be as simple that he's convinced himself he needs to sing a certain way to preserve his voice. Maybe the rasp took it out of him. Thing is, he's fully capable of putting on a great vocal performance.

And I would wager Axl's lifestyle is very, very, very expensive, and he's taking care of a lot of people. Before the reunion he was doing commercials and licensing his music to everything, something he didn't do before. Money is a motivator. And if he's punching a time card on stage, I can understand why he's not releasing anything.

Agreed. If there was a plan to focus on new music and tour around that in late 2019, that obviously changed when the whole world stopped. The money from touring stopped pouring in, so this is the obvious way to recoup some of that. I’ve listened to other artists (Dave Grohl) talk about losing millions from not touring. I’m not suggesting anyone feel sorry for them, but it is a factor when you’re used to pulling in that money and you rely on it.

And everybody’s priorities changed. It became about survival for a lot of people. (For) now, people are free to do things they weren’t able to do for over a year, like go to concerts. A vast majority of people going to concerts could care less about hearing new music. This has always been the case, but even more so now.

Obviously for those of us who have been following this saga for so long, we have a different viewpoint and expectations. And that’s fine, but I’m viewing this tour as returning to normalcy. I know we’re always coming up with excuses as to why they aren’t moving forward and this could certainly fall under that category, but I think it’s legitimate. I do think they’ll play “Hard School” and “Pretty Tied Up” is on the set list too I believe. But that’s all I’d expect in terms of changes or additions.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I can only go on what I've seen, but Fernando seemed genuine when he said that they were prepared to release something before the lockdown. It's clear GN'R is a touring band now and they only plan on releasing an album to promote a tour.

For the first time, Axl has no pressure to release anything (maybe that's why he's so happy!). They have music to release but have no problem not releasing it for whatever reason. *I* think they will release an album, but only if they can tour. All he needs is an excuse not to.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:
misterID wrote:

I can only go on what I've seen, but Fernando seemed genuine when he said that they were prepared to release something before the lockdown. It's clear GN'R is a touring band now and they only plan on releasing an album to promote a tour.

For the first time, Axl has no pressure to release anything (maybe that's why he's so happy!). They have music to release but have no problem not releasing it for whatever reason. *I* think they will release an album, but only if they can tour. All he needs is an excuse not to.

And the soundchecks of Hardschool before both the aborted Mexico tour suggest Fernando wasn't bullshitting. Time will tell though and plans can always change. Still, there are more reasons to be positive about thinking something might be coming than ever before.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The sound problems....

The thing is...this is one of the biggest acts in the world, on one of the largest tours of all time, and in the previous legs has just made some of the most money EVER made touring....

So i mean, yeah we've seen them have audio problems, it's not only performance, but if that it what is happening OVER AND OVER...then at some point it falls back on GNR for hiring people who are unable to act competently.

Maybe they shouldn't always hire friends of friends, maybe hire people who are pros. If they are hiring pros - maybe they could get better pros if they didn't short change people and paid their debts.

You just made hundreds of millions of dollars. You can afford to pay for professionals. Maybe audio quality is not the place to skimp when your entire act is a musical performance.

There is literally no reason why one of the biggest acts in the world should have a failing audio set up on repeated occasions...it simply doesn't happen if you follow other major acts. If it's broken...then fix it already.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

The sound problems....

The thing is...this is one of the biggest acts in the world, on one of the largest tours of all time, and in the previous legs has just made some of the most money EVER made touring....

So i mean, yeah we've seen them have audio problems, it's not only performance, but if that it what is happening OVER AND OVER...then at some point it falls back on GNR for hiring people who are unable to act competently.

Maybe they shouldn't always hire friends of friends, maybe hire people who are pros. If they are hiring pros - maybe they could get better pros if they didn't short change people and paid their debts.

You just made hundreds of millions of dollars. You can afford to pay for professionals. Maybe audio quality is not the place to skimp when your entire act is a musical performance.

There is literally no reason why one of the biggest acts in the world should have a failing audio set up on repeated occasions...it simply doesn't happen if you follow other major acts. If it's broken...then fix it already.

Soundcheck is not just about getting levels. It's a dry run of making sure everything is setup correctly. If certain things aren't checked because someone doesn't soundcheck then that surely doesn't help.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

They've been having live sound issues since 1987, and they still haven't figured it out!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
James wrote:

I just thought of the perfect cover to replace one of the current covers.

Let  Axl go get oxygen and let Melissa tackle a song....

I GUARANTEE you it will get a bigger crowd pop than any cover not named KOHD and LALD.

Women in their 30s-40s  will go ape shit when that intro kicks in.

I'm honestly surprised they haven't brought Melissa up front. Get her to do a duet with Axl. Gimme Shelter or something.

Anyway, after all the shit talk about this show I watched some of it. There's more aggression and venom in this Chinese Democracy performance than Axl's put in in a long time:

Yeah that was good even though he sings it differently. The verses sound a tad awkward after hearing it millions of times like I have.

I love how no one gives a shit when the song kicks in but it gets a good crowd pop at the end.

It really is a bad ass song that got wasted when it was released.

I wouldn't be opposed to an updated version getting released at some point.

Melissa....

I've suggested using Melissa as a secret weapon of sorts since she joined. They're squandering having a female member of the band. There's no point in having her there if you won't take advantage of it.

Good to see you back Faldor and KV.  smile

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Good to be back James. In the process of moving so things are a little hectic right now. But I’m glad there’s something more substantial to talk about for sure.

That performance of CD sounded pretty tight. Maybe he strained his voice after that? Or he just chooses to sing with his low register on that song only? Or he picks and chooses, but he certainly sounded better on that one the entire song, instead of spotty in others. Hopefully they’re a little tighter tomorrow and show some improvement. A friend of mine snagged a free ticket, so I’m a little jealous. But with the move and all the craziness (and lack of changes in the show), it just wasn’t at the top of my priority list this time around. Tickets ain’t cheap.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
faldor wrote:

Good to be back James. In the process of moving so things are a little hectic right now. But I’m glad there’s something more substantial to talk about for sure.

That performance of CD sounded pretty tight. Maybe he strained his voice after that? Or he just chooses to sing with his low register on that song only? Or he picks and chooses, but he certainly sounded better on that one the entire song, instead of spotty in others. Hopefully they’re a little tighter tomorrow and show some improvement. A friend of mine snagged a free ticket, so I’m a little jealous. But with the move and all the craziness (and lack of changes in the show), it just wasn’t at the top of my priority list this time around. Tickets ain’t cheap.

I gave my brother in law a ticket over the weekend so maybe it was him smile

Board footer