You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Haters Gonna Hate
 Rep: 1 

Re: We don't really expect a new setlist do we?

This was posted on Ebay apparently and the guy looks legit. CB289E3A-2467-4933-9E2C-2D8DA0FA75F8.jpeg.feb990d5f432ab0b50e0dbea5331fc46.jpeg

It is time for Silkworms lmao

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Haters Gonna Hate wrote:

This was posted on Ebay apparently and the guy looks legit. https://gunsnfnroses.com/z282916/monthl … 1fc46.jpeg

Low key, Axl using the CD band's songs on a new album to get them all writing royalties for the reunion album is a good guy Axl move.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Haters Gonna Hate wrote:

This was posted on Ebay apparently and the guy looks legit. https://gunsnfnroses.com/z282916/monthl … 1fc46.jpeg

That's.....weird.

Silkworms...a song not performed in 20 years and never released...worms its way back into the set list as an alternate.

That's such a GNR thing.

What's also a GNR thing is the fact that they'll never play it.

I'm wondering if including it is some wacky inside joke that we'll never know about.

It was written by Dizzy and Axl, wasn't it?

Edit

It's also another hint that if any sort of album is being cooked up....it really is gonna be reworked songs from the Chinese vault.

Axl may have zero desire to record vocals again so if an album is going to happen, the band is forced to work with final vocal takes rotting in the vault.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

If (massive) that's legit, the good news is that stuff like Soul Monster has to be a lock, right? I mean, a lot of us we're worried they would only use CD II songs that fit Slash's style like Hardschool, but if Silkworms is in play...

James

James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

If (massive) that's legit, the good news is that stuff like Soul Monster has to be a lock, right? I mean, a lot of us we're worried they would only use CD II songs that fit Slash's style like Hardschool, but if Silkworms is in play...

Yeah it's a swerve ball as far as what jaded fans were expecting.

Go lsten to Silkworms. If you could strip away all the music and all you're left with is Axl's vocals, Slash and Duff can turn that into a rock song.

Or they could do minor touch ups and give the song a slightly different flavor.

I just wish they would update the fans like a normal band.

It wouldn't hurt to let hardcore fans know something is cooking.

James

James wrote:

Soul Monster a lock?

Nothing is a lock.

Who wrote Soul Monster? Would the GNR camp want that person getting royalties now?

Does Slash like the song? How about Duff?

I agree in spirit that if Silkworms is in contention for anything....all bets are off and a potential album could have a very unusual track list.

Whatever they're doing...I hope it's soon.

Edit

I would imagine Buckethead songs are off limits. He cares nothing about GNR and I doubt he will be continually rewarded for that stance.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

How do we know 'Absurd' is 'Silkworms'?

James

James wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

How do we know 'Absurd' is 'Silkworms'?

It adds up.

They've done this before using one word out of a song as the song title itself on a setlist...and it's the song that has the word absurd in it.

It's either that or a brand new song....and my money is on Silkworms.

For all we know, that IS the song title and its working title 20 years ago was Silkworms.

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:

Supposing this setlist is legit, maybe it's a coincidence and it's another unreleased CD era track that has been renamed into "Absurd"? It just can't be Silkworms (it was written by Pitman and Dizzy - and Axl, I suppose)... Or can be? Unless Axl wants to reward Pitman or something.

By the way, I have wondered if Axl would want to keep "Atlas Shrugged" as a song title. Maybe he doesn't want it to be associated with Ayn Rand anymore.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
James wrote:

Soul Monster a lock?

Nothing is a lock.

Who wrote Soul Monster? Would the GNR camp want that person getting royalties now?

Does Slash like the song? How about Duff?

I agree in spirit that if Silkworms is in contention for anything....all bets are off and a potential album could have a very unusual track list.

Whatever they're doing...I hope it's soon.

Edit

I would imagine Buckethead songs are off limits. He cares nothing about GNR and I doubt he will be continually rewarded for that stance.

1.Pitman was the writer for Silkworms, and while we don't know what the new version sounds like, I think he wrote the basic structure that is the backbone of the song so I don't know if he could be denied writing credits. If Axl is willing to give royalties to Pitman I doubt he would have a problem with doing so with Bucket.

2.As of the December 2008 chats Axl seemed to have a positive opinion of Bucket and I doubt Bucket simply never saying anything about GNR would make Axl sour on him in the last decade. Bucket says almost nothing about anything.

3.If it was an issue, I think it would be easy to complete strip off the guitars from a song like SM (assuming it is in fact MAME) and just letting Slash write the thing entirely anew, denying Bucket royalties. Once again I think this would be easier than taking what Pitman wrote out of Silkworms.

4.If Axl has not written much in the way of new music in the last decade (all speculation but I think it's where the evidence lies, Slash/Duff have referenced the vault music in dozens in interviews and never a single mention of a new track, not to mention Silkworms isn't exactly the cream of the crop so if it's still in contention there can't be much more), than Slash and Duff might not have much choice in picking out these tracks. If they want a new album to sell another major tour, they'll have to go with the songs Axl has recorded vocal tracks for, like them or not.

Board footer