You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: We don't really expect a new setlist do we?

I think forum fans forget that they make up a very small fraction of the fan base.  Most people don't spend hours scouring youtube to watch bootleg clips of every performance and then opine on it.  I was in Section B, 23 rows back Saturday.  Bought those with the Nighttrain pre-sale.  So everyone around me should have had at least one friend who was a diehard and could sing every lyric to not only UYI material, but CD as well,, right?  That was my expectation, but these shows aren't the Hammerstein in '06.  When Chinese Democracy and Better were played, I was the only one singing along.  Same with Dead Horse and DTJ.  Yet when KOHD or SCOM were played, everyone joined in.

If you want the perfect rendition of a song, you have the album.  Vinyl preferably with a several hundred dollar sound system.  This is a tour, and since we're still talking about Hershey, the first tour in over a year.  I'm not making excuses for Axl's inability to even sing an entire song or the sound hiccups.  I had a great time and would buy my tickets all over again.  Seeing GN'R every 4-5 years is a relatively inexpensive hobby all things considered.  But 99% of the people at the concert aren't checking in on a forum or comparing set lists.  They're drinking their $10 beers and enjoying a live show, and all that goes with that.  That 99% is who all bands cater to when they perform.  They already know most of us will buy the fanclub membership and attend a show.  If we don't, there are plenty of 20 somethings and teens who found their mom or dad's collection or discovered GN'R on YouTube and this is all brand new for them.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:

At the risk of sounding like a nut swinger, I feel like every CD track Slash and Duff have touched has yielded a killer track that is equal if not better. That little sample of "Hard School" has me salivating on what the finished interpretation is.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
harmon420 wrote:

At the risk of sounding like a nut swinger, I feel like every CD track Slash and Duff have touched has yielded a killer track that is equal if not better. That little sample of "Hard School" has me salivating on what the finished interpretation is.

Agree

harmon420

harmon420 wrote:

"https://www.youtube.com/embed/OHaZVef3UT4"
That sounds like a GN"R track.

Sky Dog wrote:

Well, you are right….one big clusterfuck since the Illusion tour ended. Just a mess really.

Still not paying $200 to hear them play Hardschool! big_smile

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I think forum fans forget that they make up a very small fraction of the fan base.

I don't forget that.

I take it one step further....

We no longer matter.

The GNR camp has had a rocky relationship with its hardcore base for decades. Most of the animosity boils down to the lack of released music.

Other bands like Metallica never had to deal with this issue.

Also... artists like Springsteen, U2, Metallica, Pearl Jam, The Stones, etc actually reward their hardcore base. They know they aren't going to get mega rich on box sets, deluxe editions, etc. but they do it anyways.

It keeps the hardcore fans happy and provides a nice income stream.

Another aspect is the shit management going back 20 years....Azoff the only exception and we got the album during his short reign.

I just wish they desired finding the sweet spot that other artists have tapped into.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
harmon420 wrote:

That does sound really good.

Not a bad first single for CD II.

Like Sky Dog.....they have to release something to get access to my wallet again.

harmon420

harmon420 wrote:
James wrote:
harmon420 wrote:

That does sound really good.

Not a bad first single for CD II.

Like Sky Dog.....they have to release something to get access to my wallet again.

I hate how they continually show that they could put in literal minimal effort and please a majority of the fanbase, yet it's always a gag order silence. If they would have dropped hardschool on the last touring cycle, there would be a different climate amongst fans. They could have dropped a 20+ year old song on the setlist, and the fanbase would have went wild.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

I mean that sounds like a GN'R song to me and like it would be a very good comeback single.

I really don't understand the complaints about this. Why would you want what these guys can write in their late 50s and 60s, when they're comfortable and more levelheaded in their day to day lives. Give me the shit they wrote when they still wanted to do something and were still somewhat reckless.

This whole saga since 94 has been one mistake after another but clearly Axl had some shit he wanted to get off his chest musically at some point. I'd rather hear that instead of some stuff they write when they're close to being senior citizens.

Jw224
 Rep: 1 

Jw224 wrote:
Axl S wrote:

I mean that sounds like a GN'R song to me and like it would be a very good comeback single.

I really don't understand the complaints about this. Why would you want what these guys can write in their late 50s and 60s, when they're comfortable and more levelheaded in their day to day lives. Give me the shit they wrote when they still wanted to do something and were still somewhat reckless.

This whole saga since 94 has been one mistake after another but clearly Axl had some shit he wanted to get off his chest musically at some point. I'd rather hear that instead of some stuff they write when they're close to being senior citizens.

I liked the snippet that leaked a while back (minus the vocals) and I quite like this one as well. I have said before that I don't think they'd be able to write much compelling stuff nowadays.

Board footer