You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:

The Shining - It's amazing. It ages like wine....and you see the story from a different perspective as you age.

When you're young...it's all about the supernatural and the creepy atmosphere.

As you get older, you see it more for what Coppola was aiming for...a disturbing portrayal of a dysfunctional family mired in alcoholism and abuse. The supernatural stuff merely there to move the story along.

Back to School - This is peak Dangerfield. Great story, cast, and soundtrack. What more do you want?

I'm shocked this never got a remake.

Boogie Nights - Great movie...one I rarely watch.

How do you not give Burt Reynolds the Oscar for this? I mean.... come on.

Heather Graham is amazing in this. Should've had a better career.

I hate the ending. After all that, they just decide to let bygones be bygones and get the gang back together?

Pups - Hadn't watched this in ages. With 20 years of hindsight, it's sad to watch Mischa's early films like this or Lawndogs. You know you're seeing a huge star in the making... like with Natalie Portman in The Professional and Beautiful Girls.

All that potential got flushed on The OC and a mixture of cocaine, fame whoring in the early years of the Hilton's, Lohan, and Kardashians, and mental illness.

PaSnow wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

One last note: Why is it I have ZERO interest in anything new Hollywood puts out?  I'd rather watch any and all old movies than anything new (foreign films, exempt here).  The last "new" movie I tried to watch was that Carey Mulligan film and I turned that off after 15 mins.

Oh wait, I'm looking forward to a Nicholas Cage film coming out.  But that's because it's directed by a Japanese director whose films I've seen a lot of.

I think it  has to do with superhero films.  There are no Brad Pitts or Fight Clubs because all the money goes into Marvel/DC. There was no Reality Bites or Swingers because of Avengers/Justice League. No Tarantino's because scripts like that don't get made anymore. Joker was a great standalone movie, didn't even need to be 'Joker', could've just been a Taxi Driver type movie about a crazy dude.

I was just talking to someone about this a few days ago.

In our youth, you could go to the theater and there was a smorgasbord of choices.

On one screen...an action movie, the next....a family drama, the next...a courtroom drama, the next...a comedy, the next, a kids movie, the next...if it's in the fall...a horror movie.

Now? It's a sterile hellscape of superhero movies, mindless action films, remake/franchise horror movies, and a handful of random movies tossed in.

I'm with Scorsese....the theater experience has been ruined and probably will never recover.

The cherry on top of this shit sundae is we ruined it for movies that aren't even meant for you. American audiences are an afterthought.

This garbage is meant for the Asian market.

James

James wrote:

Just finished watching Boys Don't Cry. I watch it every couple years or so. This might be my last.

Something I could look past when it came out but now I can't....

The story is too fictionalized.

They removed the existence of several people from the real story....their black friend(one of the real murder victims) and Lana's sister.

They try to make Teena likeable even though she's doing horrible things.

I also don't like how they left the drug element out of the story. They just have them drink beer. In reality...these people were trailer trash meth heads.

Trying to push the Teena-Lana relationship as magical and love at first sight is ridiculous. This is not how it played out in real life and if memory serves me correctly...the amount of time from when they met Teena until the murder is only between 6 to 8 weeks.

They also leave out issues that were already brewing between Teena and the guys. She was already being bullied by the group before the big reveal/murder.

They also had Lana be there at the scene of the crime... and that simply didn't happen.

Swank deserved her Oscar....but the one who really brings it to life and keeps you invested in the story is Chloe Sevigny as Lana.

Edit

One more thing...

I know this is going to sound like victim blaming.....but...

She brought it ALL on herself.

The movie gets this part right....she had several chances to get away from these people and get the fuck outta Dodge but she doesn't. She keeps coming back even though it's obviously going to lead to tragedy.

Her infatuation with Lana created a blind spot and got herself killed.

James

James wrote:

It's been two weeks since I watched that? 18

Where does the time go?

Stand By Me -  This gets better with age... although it feels as if it's designed to. The older you get, the more emotional the adventure they're on becomes. You also notice more how the friendship is an escape from the dysfunctional life each kid is dealing with...which happens in reality.

I love the final scene which felt like an afterthought in my youth. The adult Gordy sees his son and best friend playing outside..and of course the brief conversation they have about him.

It's the circle of life.

Crazy how Ethan Hawke auditioned for this film. I can't imagine anyone but these four actors in these roles.

In the alternate universe it's....

Gordy - River Phoenix
Chris - Ethan Hawke
Teddy -  Corey Feldman
Vern - Chris O'Donnell

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Watched The Conjuring (3): The Devil Made me Do it.

Not as good to me as Conjuring 2 was which was one of my favourite horrors (even though it's new school not old)...but still watchable....but kinda plays more like a conjuring tv show would....awesome but lacking that epic vibe of the first couple....i miss James Wan behind the wheel on them....

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot--1970s Clint Eastwood and Jeff Bridges film.  Probably underlooked/under rated.  It's sort of a buddy film/heist film/contrast between the guys from the 50s and the flower power/hippies generation of the 1960s.  It works because the acting is great and the script is pretty good.

Deep Cover: 90s film w/Laurence Fishburne and Jeff Goldblum.  First time watching this and wow.  Beautiful neo noir film.  Sleazeball characters all around.  Plus it's sort of a critique on how useless/what a farce the war on drugs from the late 80s-90s was.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Pig with Nic Cage is damn good. Rewatched Spirited Away and Paprika a couple days ago since I remember watching those like over a decade ago. Pretty great animated features!

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot--1970s Clint Eastwood and Jeff Bridges film.  Probably underlooked/under rated.  It's sort of a buddy film/heist film/contrast between the guys from the 50s and the flower power/hippies generation of the 1960s.  It works because the acting is great and the script is pretty good.

Deep Cover: 90s film w/Laurence Fishburne and Jeff Goldblum.  First time watching this and wow.  Beautiful neo noir film.  Sleazeball characters all around.  Plus it's sort of a critique on how useless/what a farce the war on drugs from the late 80s-90s was.

Ill have to watch these, sound cool

A fb friend posted abojt Blowout, a 1981 John Travolta film. Its really cool & prolly him at his best, I dont recall any of his early movies being this good (not incl Pulp Fiction obvi). Its a Brian DiPalma film, rigbt around the time of Scarface. Not as violent or anything but all in all a good movie worth checking out. Those are some underrated years, late 70s early 80s.

Its free on Pluto TV if you have a Roku or Fire OTT type device

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

A fb friend posted abojt Blowout, a 1981 John Travolta film. Its really cool & prolly him at his best, I dont recall any of his early movies being this good (not incl Pulp Fiction obvi). Its a Brian DiPalma film, rigbt around the time of Scarface. Not as violent or anything but all in all a good movie worth checking out. Those are some underrated years, late 70s early 80s.

Its free on Pluto TV if you have a Roku or Fire OTT type device

Love Blow Out.  I'm surprised you didn't mention it was filmed in Philly, which looks great.  Depalma is hit and miss for me though. 

Rewatched Se7en for the first time in YEARS.  And wow, I totally noticed stuff that I didn't realize before.  It's a pretty bleak film in terms of most of the scenes.  And the Morgan Freeman character is really unhappy and is more or less a double of John Doe.  It rains a lot too in this film.  And yet, it all works perfectly for me.  It kinda rose above the  usual serial killer movie to this beautiful and wonderful 90s Neo Noir (I watch this stuff a lot).  I mean even conversations and scenes I totally ignored/wrote off on previous viewings have meaning or purpose.

James

James wrote:

Se7en is probably the greatest film of the 1990s.... although a case can be made for some other films.

The bleak atmosphere of their surroundings helps propel the story along.

It feels dystopic.

It's a crime it didn't get any Oscars.

I also like how you don't know which city it takes place in.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:

Pig with Nic Cage is damn good. Rewatched Spirited Away and Paprika a couple days ago since I remember watching those like over a decade ago. Pretty great animated features!

Pig was awesome.

The Donut King last week. Entertaining but a bit generic.

The Hunt this week. I dug it.

Board footer