You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: GNR Release 'Absurd' Single

monkeychow wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Looks like Beta is up to her old tricks on Instagram - slagging off and berating fans who aren't feeling the song and dare criticise it ..

I'm not saying people have to like the song....but it's interesting to me how much the internet has become about hating stuff in any fandom.

Like I think about a number of bands and movie franchises I follow, and even some other hobbies, and the whole internet experience has become about people critiquing everything they do and hating on everything we get.

In the case of GNR however I'd say it's more justified than in some - given the history of the band is really full of all kinds of disappointments and chaos and wasted opportunities that you'd think even the band must dislike sometimes.

Myself I'm happy with this, I wanted a single for this tour, I've got one. I wanted to hear the old demos with Slash. I'm getting it. There's things I could nitpick but like at the end of the day they're delivering what I'd been wanting fundamentally. I think this track sounds killer and rocking now....it makes me excited for an album.

As for beta, it's weird to me that she wastes her time in a way. Like people are negative on the internet. It is as it ever was in a way. You'd expect the managers to have thicker skin and not engage in a battle thats going to go nowhere.......but who knows I guess...maybe it's all more personal to them.

I hope this single does ok though. I want this band to be successful now so we get more new music. Last thing we need is this single failing and the band going into a 20 year reboot mode.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Back to the song... loving it the more I listen. It's definitely a grower...

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I hope this single does ok though. I want this band to be successful now so we get more new music. Last thing we need is this single failing and the band going into a 20 year reboot mode.

If they were truly aiming for success they should have chosen a different song. Hard School or Perhaps. The general public and the casual concert attendees who want to hear SCOM and NR won't dig this track. The song won't get any radio airplay with these lyrics.

Don't get me wrong, I like the song and I'm glad they finally put something out, but they surely can't expect it to be the next Paradise City or Jungle...

They should call the album Not In This Lifetime, cuz this being the first single with Duff and Slash back in the band is a bigger surprise than the reunion tour itself. It's literally the most absurd thing they could have done for a release..

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Back to the song... loving it the more I listen. It's definitely a grower...

Yeah, it's not like "My World" where the thing is a total throwaway piece of garbage. "Absurd" is a very strange song, but there is some good stuff in it and it has some catchy elements in there. Slash & Duff did a great job on their parts. It's definitely better than the demo versions of Silkworms. You could not say this about the final album versions we got for Catcher In The Rye or other songs on the CD album.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Vale wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

If they were truly aiming for success they should have chosen a different song. Hard School or Perhaps. The general public and the casual concert attendees who want to hear SCOM and NR won't dig this track. The song won't get any radio airplay with these lyrics.

Don't get me wrong, I like the song and I'm glad they finally put something out, but they surely can't expect it to be the next Paradise City or Jungle...

They should call the album Not In This Lifetime, cuz this being the first single with Duff and Slash back in the band is a bigger surprise than the reunion tour itself. It's literally the most absurd thing they could have done for a release..

Agreed, they went with this song for a reason and that reason wasn’t so it could be a #1 smash hit. Who knows what the actual reason is. Monkey laid out a few good options. Maybe they just like the aggressiveness of the song when they performed it? For the first time in a long time it seems as though there’s a plan. I would expect Hard School will be unveiled later on this tour. It could just be a coincidence, but they unveiled Absurd in Boston & announced the single in NY, two major cities. In this day and age I’m not sure how much that matters when everything finds its way to the internet anyway, but maybe the plan is to debut Hard School in another large city. The LA show is in a few weeks, so that might be too soon? Chicago next month?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

With how well Absurd is doing on word of mouth alone, no radio play, commercials or anything, Hard School (or Skool) has the potential of being a really, really huge hit.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

With how well Absurd is doing on word of mouth alone, no radio play, commercials or anything, Hard School (or Skool) has the potential of being a really, really huge hit.

That's my thought. They are setting pretty low expectations by going with a very industrial sounding tune. Then you launch Hard School and even the haters of Absurd will likely be way happier. I really like Slash & Duff's contributions on Absurd. I think they elevate the song, even if the song was never worthy of being saved in the first place. So I'm excited to see what Slash & Duff might be able to do for Hard School. That one has a lot of potential.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
faldor wrote:
Vale wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Agreed, they went with this song for a reason and that reason wasn’t so it could be a #1 smash hit. Who knows what the actual reason is. Monkey laid out a few good options. Maybe they just like the aggressiveness of the song when they performed it? For the first time in a long time it seems as though there’s a plan. I would expect Hard School will be unveiled later on this tour. It could just be a coincidence, but they unveiled Absurd in Boston & announced the single in NY, two major cities. In this day and age I’m not sure how much that matters when everything finds its way to the internet anyway, but maybe the plan is to debut Hard School in another large city. The LA show is in a few weeks, so that might be too soon? Chicago next month?

It’s a fair point. No way they were debuting the song in Hershey. No offense.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
faldor wrote:
Vale wrote:

Playing it at Hershey may have been in the plan and then canned because of audio tech issues they had during the show. Maybe also just wanted to use that gig as a warmup and play it safe. Definitely seems like midnight on Thursday was always the release plan though.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
Axl S wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
faldor wrote:

Playing it at Hershey may have been in the plan and then canned because of audio tech issues they had during the show. Maybe also just wanted to use that gig as a warmup and play it safe. Definitely seems like midnight on Thursday was always the release plan though.

It definitely was the plan. New releases are always Friday in the states. Or Thursday at midnight eastern. I dunno how last minute you can arrange shit like that but they had artwork and a "video" for YouTube so most likely was always the plan.

Board footer