You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Cerulean wind
 Rep: -6 

Re: Axl Rose at his best

In his first gig after the release of CD.

First gig with DJ Ashba.

First gig since 2007.

Last gig where we can hear the real Axl Rose.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The performance on The Late Show polluxlm posted is probably their best performance ever. The high quality of the vid has something to do with it of course...but they were just on fire in 88. Best band in the world at the time.

It's a travesty that they didn't do more of these TV shows. They should've been all over US and British TV.

They were just so massive that they didn't have to.

You're Crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWOebV2lLqc

Used to Love Her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuOSh_Zcdhc

I wish they could have done a longer set.

Funny thing....

That performance is like six months before Lies gets released. They should've been performing SCOM...red hot at the time...and maybe Jungle.

Instead they do an unreleased song and a slow version of a deep cut.

That took balls....and it's a perfect example of how unpredictable they really were back then.

This performance is also a good example of why they can still fill stadiums over 30 years later even with a small discog.

It's because they were that good.

It's unfortunate that all we got out of that period... Axl's prime IMO...is four songs from recording Lies.

I guess we're lucky we got that....Geffen could've easily just rereleased Live Like A Suicide as is.

Another career highlight rarely talked about today....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzGNFh4ktQA

This might be peak GNR...which is fitting considering the fact it's the final performance of the original lineup.

Again....the balls it took to do this set.

The wait/hype for Illusions is already underway. The whole world is watching just for GNR. Everyone is expecting them to do two hits...which is what everyone else is doing.....

But this is GNR. They don't do what is expected.

We get a brand new song which will soon be on the radio....and an obscure punk song no one has heard of.

They're on fire....and Axl will never look that cool again.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:

The performance on The Late Show polluxlm posted is probably their best performance ever. The high quality of the vid has something to do with it of course...but they were just on fire in 88. Best band in the world at the time.

It's a travesty that they didn't do more of these TV shows. They should've been all over US and British TV.

They were just so massive that they didn't have to.

You're Crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWOebV2lLqc

Used to Love Her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuOSh_Zcdhc

I wish they could have done a longer set.

Funny thing....

That performance is like six months before Lies gets released. They should've been performing SCOM...red hot at the time...and maybe Jungle.

Instead they do an unreleased song and a slow version of a deep cut.

That took balls....and it's a perfect example of how unpredictable they really were back then.

This performance is also a good example of why they can still fill stadiums over 30 years later even with a small discog.

It's because they were that good.

It's unfortunate that all we got out of that period... Axl's prime IMO...is four songs from recording Lies.

I guess we're lucky we got that....Geffen could've easily just rereleased Live Like A Suicide as is.

Another career highlight rarely talked about today....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzGNFh4ktQA

This might be peak GNR...which is fitting considering the fact it's the final performance of the original lineup.

Again....the balls it took to do this set.

The wait/hype for Illusions is already underway. The whole world is watching just for GNR. Everyone is expecting them to do two hits...which is what everyone else is doing.....

But this is GNR. They don't do what is expected.

We get a brand new song which will soon be on the radio....and an obscure punk song no one has heard of.

They're on fire....and Axl will never look that cool again.

Probably exactly why we got Absurd as the first reunion single. Unsafe, unpopular.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

While obviously he had his very best performances in the 80s and to some degree early 90s, there is still something to be said for his early 00s voice. He had undergone surgery and lost a lot of his signature rasp, at least he didn't use it nearly as much, but on the other hand he seems to have mastered his voice better than in his youth making him able to belt out some very impressive screams.

I'm not sure prime Axl Rose can pull this off:

James

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

While obviously he had his very best performances in the 80s and to some degree early 90s, there is still something to be said for his early 00s voice. He had undergone surgery and lost a lot of his signature rasp, at least he didn't use it nearly as much, but on the other hand he seems to have mastered his voice better than in his youth making him able to belt out some very impressive screams.

I'm not sure prime Axl Rose can pull this off:

[/embed]

Yeah he gets a lot of shit for 2002 but there's some highlights for sure.

He's great on the CD songs in Boston, Tokyo, and Osaka as well.

They just needed product in stores to help keep the momentum going. If not the album, then a DVD/CD of either HOB or one of the 2002 shows.

Probably exactly why we got Absurd as the first reunion single. Unsafe, unpopular.

Yep.... it's something the 88-91 band would do in this position.

Haters Gonna Hate
 Rep: 1 

His voice is perfect here  Drunk Fux Yesterdays starting at 29:00

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

His voice seems to be getting better on this tour, here's the most recent Nightrain:

James

James wrote:
Haters Gonna Hate wrote:

His voice is perfect here  Drunk Fux Yesterdays starting at 29:00

[/embed]

Just listened to some of that... hadn't heard it in a coon's age.

It reminded me of one of those Axl interviews from 1988-89 when he was talking about how many songs they had to work with when recording AFD...and of course the upcoming UYI.

He talked about how they had the three big ballads to choose from for the debut....

SCOM, Don't Cry, and November Rain.

They went with SCOM obviously.

They also had other songs like Shadow, Yesterdays, etc.

You can easily picture alternate universes branching out with alternate tracklists for AFD....which also alters the tracklist of UYI four years later.

An AFD with Don't Cry as its ballad and SCOM is saved for later. Imagine that....a timeline without SCOM exploding in 88. I don't think DC can replicate that. It doesn't have the balls of SCOM.

How about Shadow in the place of something like Anything Goes, Yesterdays in place of  Think About You, and YCBM in place of Nightrain?

They really lucked into the perfect tracklist.

Sky Dog wrote:

Civil War and Down On The Farm at Farm Aid…far and away my favorite Axl moment.

James

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Civil War and Down On The Farm at Farm Aid…far and away my favorite Axl moment.

Vocally....my favorite Axl moment is the Lies version of You're Crazy. It's his studio peak.

Visually.... it's Farm Aid. To 15 year old me, he was the coolest and baddest looking motherfucker on the planet that night.

It still holds up.

It also happens to be a great performance. They had something to prove. They were there to kick ass and chew gum....and they were all out of gum.

Board footer