You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: Charlie Watts Dead at 80

James wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Damn.  Fucking legend.  I'm seeing them October 4th in Pittsburgh.  Will be interesting to see them play with this band and at this age.

I know they technically had plans to continue the tour but I have a feeling this is the end of the line.

They always said if one of the core group dies(Mick, Keith, Charlie) there is no Stones.

They said that, but Mick Jagger is the hardest-nosed businessman in the business. The Stones will carry on until him or Keith drops, I guarantee it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Couple more vids....

Undercover of the Night

One Hit to the Body

80s era Stones are hella underrated. Now that one of them is unfortunately dead...and the fact that their deluxe releases have now entered the 80s with Tattoo You.... hopefully in the coming years this period of their career gets a much needed second and closer look and gets the respect it deserves.

James

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
James wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Damn.  Fucking legend.  I'm seeing them October 4th in Pittsburgh.  Will be interesting to see them play with this band and at this age.

I know they technically had plans to continue the tour but I have a feeling this is the end of the line.

They always said if one of the core group dies(Mick, Keith, Charlie) there is no Stones.

They said that, but Mick Jagger is the hardest-nosed businessman in the business. The Stones will carry on until him or Keith drops, I guarantee it.

Maybe.

Couple problems....

Charlie is loved by the fans. This isn't Bill Wyman or Ron Wood dropping dead.

There will be a fan backlash to any sort of continuation of the Stones.

The media is going to bring up their old comments and may go negative. The Stones...and more specifically Jagger...does not like negative press.

Their peers are going to weigh in on this. It might get ugly.

This is a dicey situation. Like I said, the only way around it might be marketing the upcoming shows as a tribute to Charlie....and next year some sort of farewell tour or residency.

James

James wrote:

Couple more vids....

Harlem Shuffle

Almost Hear You Sigh

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

RIP.

Charlie was a true master of his craft.

I hope people will post rarities and live performances. He really shined there and listening to the albums these days does nothing for me.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
James wrote:

Maybe.

Couple problems....

Charlie is loved by the fans. This isn't Bill Wyman or Ron Wood dropping dead.

There will be a fan backlash to any sort of continuation of the Stones.

The media is going to bring up their old comments and may go negative. The Stones...and more specifically Jagger...does not like negative press.

Their peers are going to weigh in on this. It might get ugly.

This is a dicey situation. Like I said, the only way around it might be marketing the upcoming shows as a tribute to Charlie....and next year some sort of farewell tour or residency.

Maybe, but tickets were sold over a year ago and all of this is rescheduled.  How many people are gonna try to sell their tickets cause Charlie isn't behind the kit (and anyone going knew he wouldn't be).  Die hards might make a stand, but just like Guns, people really care about the singer and lead guitar player.  Mick and Keith will be there.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I don't see them stopping this tour short. Maybe this will be the last tour, but I even doubt that. How could they resist a farewell tour.

James

James wrote:

The Stones showing class on the official site.

It's just a picture of Charlie.

https://www.rollingstones.com/

Yeah there's probably going to be some sort of farewell.

Charlie had gave his blessing for the upcoming shows. It's anything after that where it might be on shaky ground.

Also...the Covid situation makes this even worse. Will they have to cancel or postpone more shows?

None of these guys are spring chickens.

Next year is the 60th anniversary. Maybe do farewell residencies in London and New York...and time it with that final album they've worked on off and on over the past few years.

There's now a lot more interest in that album.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

As somebody said, the end of an era. This decade is going to see a lot of big names bowing out and especially classic rock bands.

They'll definitely do the tour. Too much money involved to pull out. Wouldn't put it past Mick to continue even after that if Keith is still capable.

James

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

As somebody said, the end of an era. This decade is going to see a lot of big names bowing out and especially classic rock bands.

The next 5-10 years are going to be brutal.

Jagger
Richards
Wood

Bob Dylan
Willie Nelson
Paul McCartney
Ringo Starr
Rod Stewart
Elton John

Actors like Pacino, Deniro, Eastwood, etc.

We'll also see a handful from the later generation die as well.

The 20th century is being wrapped up.

Board footer