You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Hardschool single coming September 24th.

Sky Dog wrote:

This is getting more disturbing by the second!!!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

I don't believe it.

That "rumor" should've been instantly shut down on the Hoffman forum before it spread.

In the off chance it's true....

A disaster...worst case scenario regarding new material. Excluding the Chinese era, last two GNR releases were The Spaghetti Incident and Sympathy for the Devil. The world yawned....so they bookend that with an EP of mostly covers?

Unless one of them can catch on like Johnny Cash's Hurt, it's gonna crash land.

This type of EP is what should've happened in the mid 2000s during the wait for CD or as a release right after the reunion kicked off as a bonus disc to a new GH.

I wouldn't mind hearing a studio version of Black Hole Sun but there's other Soundgarden songs much better suited for their style and his voice.

Ty Cobb for starters...their most GNR style song.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

First listen I'm a little disappointed in Slash. The intro from 5-15 is a great addition but the solo and the bridge thing does not impress me. A little meh to be honest.

Obviously the vocals are old but it is rare to hear Axl use this voice in the last 20 years. For once I'd say he is the strongest element on this track.

He was always the strongest element on the demo version. Makes sense that it’s still the case with the official version.

The intro by Slash gave me hope he had clicked with the song. I don't know if he's just lazy or past it.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Still this might be the best song for them to release as a single. Catchy tune, strong vocals, signature sound. Tells the world they still got it.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Tonight will be interesting. What does he say and what if anything gets said or announced when this releases?

The timing is bizarre. There are five dates left on the US tour and whilst they've now been postponed again, the Australia and Mexico gigs never needed a new single to promote those dates - it's not like the US where GN'R come through on +20 date tours every year, it's a once every few years novelty when they hit other countries.,

This single is apparently going to get radio play starting tomorrow... what on earth is it promoting? The European leg isn't until June, and it doesn't need promo either, it happening is a novelty because it's not so frequent. If this single is just to promote tour dates it should have been out 1) before Absurd and 2) before the tour even began.

Really really odd. We'll see what happens tonight.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Tonight will be interesting. What does he say and what if anything gets said or announced when this releases?

The timing is bizarre. There are five dates left on the US tour and whilst they've now been postponed again, the Australia and Mexico gigs never needed a new single to promote those dates - it's not like the US where GN'R come through on +20 date tours every year, it's a once every few years novelty when they hit other countries.,

This single is apparently going to get radio play starting tomorrow... what on earth is it promoting? The European leg isn't until June, and it doesn't need promo either, it happening is a novelty because it's not so frequent. If this single is just to promote tour dates it should have been out 1) before Absurd and 2) before the tour even began.

Really really odd. We'll see what happens tonight.

I think it was all supposed to happen months ago but since proper management doesn't exist, the rollout got delayed.

Yes it was clearly a mistake to release Absurd before Hardschool. The latter deserved the buzz of being the first new GNR song. Instead it was Absurd, it got decent press, they perform it, but it died on the vine.

Again... management makes these decisions.

You're right.... Hardschool is sitting on the launch pad with nothing to promote.

Bands used to do this back in the day sometimes but in today's world, your releases normally are nothing more than a promotional tool for your tour.

IF it's an album and we're on single number two, logic and common sense would tell us that single number three will coincide with the albums release....

So let's say November.

What's happening in November/December?

A residency in NY, Vegas, or London isn't a bad idea.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

MAYBE, just MAYBE, they're releasing the only songs that are ready - as in already recorded by Slash and Duff?
GNR has never been a productive band in the studio, it's always been erratic...

Haters Gonna Hate
 Rep: 1 

It sounds ok. It grew on me a bit already. I still prefer the Village version however. Average rock fans will like this more than absurd

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
otto wrote:

MAYBE, just MAYBE, they're releasing the only songs that are ready - as in already recorded by Slash and Duff?
GNR has never been a productive band in the studio, it's always been erratic...

Very possible. Remember Sp1at said they were hoping to have the album ready by Q4 of this year.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Well with the Australia/NZ tour in major doubt, maybe just maybe it's a sign an album is forthcoming. From memory UYI was released in between tour legs...

To the song - perfectly serviceable.  I kind of get why Absurd was first - it wasn't a first single as such but a bit of a bizarre pressure release valve perhaps ... where as this is clearly your rock radio single.
I think the drums could be bigger and they again sound a bit processed. Is it Frank? I tend to think so. Duff and Slash do their thing and it sounds like Duff and Slash. One could  argue Slash phones in his solos but I'm not complaining - I actually prefer his work on Absurd.

I too would like to hear Axl a bit more up front and centre but again, it sounds like Axl Rose and I think this will go over well with mainstream rock listeners.

All in all, it's a pretty breezy formulaic song but it does the job ... hoping it leads to something meatier

Board footer