You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Slash: GNR has not written any new music, everything completed is CD 2

faldor wrote:
James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

I don't think it has anything to do with potentially pissing off Axl which would fuck things up.

Doesn't it?

Why then is everyone who works for the organisation media shy?

By nature of their extreme fame Slash and Duff field gnr questions for life but they always answer with "it's fun, can't recall, don't know, don't ask, and I'm here to talk about fluff".

The other guys like Dizzy and Richard and Melissa, Frank etc really only take interviews when they have a side gig and get cornered then they usually make vague promises about how lots more happens than we know and it's all going to be bad ass until they are asked when and then they hear their mom calling outside and have to go.

The actual management seems to only talk to the media or make public statements to tell us what victims they are of outside circumstances or how desperately we all need to go fuck ourselves for the crime of liking the band.

Yet, weirdly, the minute people leave this organisation, like DJ and Bumble, and Gilby and whoever they tend to go back to sane and rational communications with fans and media.

So if it's not that Axl requires a culture of silence and secrecy around the band, then who does it come from?

In the era of the ancient Chinese secret, Scooby Doo mystery act of the new GNR years?

Absolutely.

Now? I don't think so.

Part of it may have to do with it but like I said earlier, none of these guys(especially Axl) is going to risk imploding this thing over small potatoes.

Let's say in the next interview, Slash is asked about the Chinese vault...and he mentions a Bucket song that's ok but Axls vocal take isn't up to snuff.

Would there be any real blowback from that?

I doubt it.

I think we've reached the point where they know no matter what they say or if they give updates, chances of it happening are slim to none due to how the organization is run.

Hell...if they had mentioned an anniversary box set for AFD... something easily set in stone for any other band ...they would've been a year off!

It has to be frustrating.

The Chinese guys definitely walked on eggshells around him though. That was one of the problems...they had no power in that dynamic. While dealing with that, also forced to deal with shoddy management.

Polluxlm does make a valid point about how history impacts how you act around someone....I just don't think they're "afraid" of him anymore.

that’s how I see it. I don’t think there’s any mandate laid down by Axl to not say anything about the inner workings of the band. Nor do I think Slash or Duff is afraid of Axl. They just know the pros and cons of what they do or don’t say. It’s one thing to talk about the MKC Conspiracies or whatever they call themselves. The reach is a lot less broad and they have much more control. They know how it works in GNR. What do they gain from spilling all the beans when they’re all working towards a common goal? Same thing for Ron, DJ, etc. They can talk freely about their own side projects. They have no control over what happens in GNR. So why even go there?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I don't think it's a matter of him requiring it, rather they know and fear him. I have a friend who is kind of cautious around me because I got really mad at him once. I imagine with Axl this feeling is a lot stronger.

Yeah great point.

I actually think a lot of team brazil/beta weirdness is kinda like that.

Something like Axl has a day where he experiences a lot of rage for whatever reason, and the people around him try and work out what triggered it and adjust accordingly without him explicitly telling anyone they have to do anything.

At first it's probably simple stuff like keeping away someone who is annoying, or not telling him some bad news right after he just had a bad night's sleep, after you do that for a while there comes a point where you're making sure no one ever says anything irritating anywhere.

Tortilla_Man
 Rep: 1 

Tortilla_Man wrote:

I wish the person that interviewed Slosh brought up the fact that he had recently said 2022 was gonna be the UYI Box Set.

So which is it Slosh?

1- keep releasing GNR singles from Chin Dem II until album is done.

2 - release UYI Box Set

I highly doubt they will do both these things in the same year ?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Tortilla_Man wrote:

I wish the person that interviewed Slosh brought up the fact that he had recently said 2022 was gonna be the UYI Box Set.

So which is it Slosh?

1- keep releasing GNR singles from Chin Dem II until album is done.

2 - release UYI Box Set

I highly doubt they will do both these things in the same year ?

Why not?

One has nothing to do with the other.

Nothing new is required for a UYI box set. It just takes someone to go through the vault and putting it all together.

New singles or an album just requires Duff and Slash to add an extra layer to finished songs.

A band like Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac have released multiple deluxe editions and box sets in the same year.

IMO everything boils down to management. If they have little involvement in these projects getting off the launch pad, I think they can juggle two projects.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

From what we can gather Hard Skool and Absurd were meant to be released in 2020 but got pushed to 2021 because COVID delayed the tour. Those soundchecks of Hard Skool in Mexico in 2020 kind of confirm that.

The UYI boxset was supposed to be 2021 but according to Slash in that interview got pushed back too because of COVID delays. They soundchecked Pretty Tied Up in 2020 too.

I can't see why they can't do both this year. Oh My God was on the 2018 setlists... it must be a candidate.

Good that someone stuck with an uncomfortable line of questions in that interview and actually got some answers out of Slash. Sounds like we can expect what we got last year for a while - small digital releases of singles, followed up with niche physical releases for hardcore fans that ship months later due to manufacturing delays with a take orders and then go to print model. Eventually once they've done enough they give it to us as an album and if we're lucky there will still be some stuff left for that release.

Bit disappointing but I'll take it. Album in late 2022 at the absolute earliest, but depending on their pace they could run this through until 2024/25.

James

James wrote:

The UYI boxset was supposed to be 2021 but according to Slash in that interview got pushed back too because of COVID delays. They soundchecked Pretty Tied Up in 2020 too.

I forgot about that.

Makes me wonder if that song will get a re-release instead of what fans are hoping for...

Ain't Going Down.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:

I forgot about that.

Makes me wonder if that song will get a re-release instead of what fans are hoping for...

Ain't Going Down.

They released that as an instrumental on the AFD box. Think that’s all we’re going to get of it.

Sky Dog wrote:

Not sure but it may have been done again during the Illusion sessions

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Yes, it was. A version with vocals is on one of the UYI era bootlegs (the one titled "Axl's advance copy").

It was in a UYI tracklist in April 1991, so it seems it was intended to be included in the albums. Slash said in 1994, when he was promoting the pinball machine, that they didn't finish it during the UYI sessions, so I guess that's why it didn't make the albums and was used for the pinball machine.

I suppose the UYI demo will be in the box set, although it doesn't necessarily mean it will be released as a single.

James

James wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:

I forgot about that.

Ain't Going Down.

They released that as an instrumental on the AFD box. Think that’s all we’re going to get of it.

Sky Dog wrote:

It was definitely recorded during the UYI sessions.

As Blackstar mentioned, it started appearing on UYI tentative tracklists in early 91 and made it to the final tracklists released to the media in August.

Its exclusion from the albums was one of the biggest surprises for hardcore fans on release day.

First few things I noticed seconds after going to the record store that morning to buy it....

No Ain't Going Down

No 'Why Do You Look At Me When You Hate Me?'

What in the fuck is My World?

Another surprise was the third version of Don't Cry(assumed to be the demo) was not on the albums. It was supposed to be.

No TSI tracks as well.

They almost had enough material for a 4 disc box set of new material...which was unheard of and would've been record breaking at the time.

Instead they went for the record of simultaneous release.

Knowing how everything turned out, I wish they had swung for the fences.

Didn't Duff say the label balked at that insane idea? This is that period of time when they were still juggling album titles, including 'Buy Product'.

Board footer