You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Current Events Thread

polluxlm wrote:

1 official for every 100 people is incredibly efficient. He will pretty soon know all his subjects intimately and can detect any deviation from allowed conduct.

Of course, the Chinese like this type of stuff, but now we are seeing it introduced in the West as well.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I do find it funny if not totally expected that Biden is already saying the 2022 elections will be illegitimate unless their election laws are enacted.  This is nothing new as nearly every Democratic leader said the same thing after 2016.  It's just terrifying how many morons fall for the hyperbole and rhetoric and consider themselves objective intellectuals. 

"Trumps the most evil man in history for questioning the legitimacy of the 2020 election, but we're entirely credible when we lob the same accusation after every election we don't win, and spend years with our media sympathizers pushing our big lie."

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

He completely embarrassed himself with that press conference. No wonder they keep him away from the media. Dude is toast. I just hope someone like Crenshaw runs for the Republican nomination. Biden won't win.

misterID

misterID wrote:

You seriously can't make this shit up:

M&M characters redesigned for a "more dynamic, progressive world," Mars announces
By Alexandra Larkin

January 20, 2022 / 12:01 AM / CBS News

M&M's iconic characters — six different colored "lentils," each with their own personality — have gotten a modern makeover for a "more dynamic, progressive world," Mars said Thursday. The redesign is focused on creating a sense of belonging and community, as well as spotlighting the character's "personalities, rather than their gender."

The most notable changes include the green M&M's redesign, which will exchange the white heeled go-go boots she was given in 1997 for "cool, laid-back sneakers to reflect her effortless confidence." Mars had received criticism for the green M&M's sexy characterization. The green M&M will also be "better represented to reflect confidence and empowerment, as a strong female, and known for much more than her boots."

The green M&M and the brown M&M will have a more friendly relationship, showcasing a "force supporting women." The two characters' dynamic will have them "together throwing shine and not shade," the company said. The two characters have sometimes been at odds in advertisements, but they have also been seen as friends — or more than friends in others, like this viral tweet from 2015 showing the two holding hands on a beach.

Mars also added that the brown M&M's heels will be lowered to a professional heel height.

The orange M&M, who has an anxious personality, will "embrace his true self, worries and all." But the orange M&M's shoe laces will now be tied to represent his cautious nature. According to Mars, the orange M&M is "one of the most relatable characters with Gen-Z," which is the "most anxious generation."

The red M&M, who has shown bully tendencies in the past, will be more kind to his co-characters.

Mars will also include imagery of M&Ms of all shapes and sizes, moving away from only one body size, and it will remove the prefixes from the characters' names in order to focus on "their personalities, rather than their gender." Currently, only the brown M&M has a prefix — Ms. Brown — on the M&M website.

The company hopes their changes will show the importance of "self-expression and power of community."

I can just picture the woke hipster who wrote that shit. This is really about destroying masculinity and femininity from a generation of insecure, fragile losers still resentful of the kids who were mean to them or who they were jealous of in school.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

LOL WTF?  They're M&M's.  Freaking colored chocolate pieces to eat.  The last thing I'm thinking of when I'm eating those things is gender empowerment or whatever bullshit that clown wrote.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Just wait until the new woke Amazon Lord of the Rings where they will explore transgenderism in Middle Earth!

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Can't say I ever cared about the M&M portrayals of gender stereotypes but don't see why folk are so incensed about this.

Just sounds like they made the two women M&Ms (didn't even know they existed) less sexualised and less stereotypically bitchy, the orange one more confident and the red one less of an asshole. Don't necessarily get why that's bad or worth being upset about but at the same time don't think anyone was actually upset about.

misterID wrote:

I can just picture the woke hipster who wrote that shit.

I imagine this was probably written by a multi person corporate PR team who wrote a bunch of stuff that they think young, socially aware people care about. I'd also guess that actually no one actually gave two shits about the M&M characters to begin with.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Yeah just wait until some kook in the school system convinced your child he/she should "transition" and then watch as CPS and police descend upon you if you object.

misterID

misterID wrote:

This is the part that made me laugh:

"According to Mars, the orange M&M is "one of the most relatable characters with Gen-Z," which is the "most anxious generation.""

It's so true! lol

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

So Hong Kong is forcing all of its residents to kill their small animals out of COVID fears. I wonder how many people in the west will obediently off their cats and dogs if the EU follows suit. I can say with all sincerity I’d go fucking Rambo before I killed or turned over either of my dogs.

Board footer