You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Re: DJ Ashba: Buckethead Took the Coolness Out of the Band

Vale wrote:

I get that the look of that line-up as a whole was irritating for people who wanted just another AFD. But even if the music went in another direction, the way that each of the "new" guys could just be themselves was pure punkrock. Unlike Ozzy, Axl didn't mind the mask or the bucket, he was more interested in the guy's musical ideas. Same with Robin. And that's how it should be in my opinion.

What I never understand is why people always put Bucket in the stunt-player category. His talent was/is so much more than just the insane technical skill. Just compare him with Bumblefoot. Bumblefoot was also really skilled, but Bucket always had a sense for melody and harmony, that sets him apart from other "stunt-players" like Bumble. I'll never forget the moment I first heard Electric Tears. I had no idea what would be waiting for me, as it was the first Bucket album that I bought. I was blown away by the feel, not the skill.

Ashba is the exact opposite. 80% show, 20% skill, and 0% feeling. No wonder his time with GN'R was the lamest in the band's history.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

As usual...this guy doesn't know his elbow from his asshole and states the opposite of reality.

GNR lost its "coolness" in 1997 with that nameless, faceless lineup that literally couldn't be marketed after first Slash, then Duff bailed out.

Three years later Bucket enters and along with Finck brings quirkiness in place of cool, a marketable lineup is now in place... which is squandered...and also allows the possibility of pushing 21st century GNR as a supergroup... also squandered.

The only reason Ashba was brought in is because Team Brazil... notorious haters of Slash...all of a sudden wanted a B grade Slash clone.

That's it.

Without that, he never becomes part of the GNR story.

It was also the point many hardcore fans threw in the towel...me included. It was obvious what was happening....no more albums and they wanted to try to market GNR to casual fans until reunion time.

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Yamcha wrote:

Poseur.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I'm shocked DJ hasn't trademarked poser yet 16

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

Having seen GNR with Bucket and with DJ …

Bucket indeed was a freak but a weirdly fascinating one. His musical skills were stunning, the robot dancing and nunchuck routines made the audience respond positively (morphing from WTF delight into “This guy is good!” appreciation). When he’d stand there, motionless, between performances he still had presence.

Obviously his recorded work with GNR - released and leaked - is just phenomenal. He took the band into the 21st century. He added levels of drama, skill, and emotional range which honored Axl’s vision.

DJ played skillfully and respectfully, as a fan-turned-band member might be expected to do. His comments about how he perceived the job reflect the guy I saw onstage.

Bucket was an inspiring foil who brought out the best in Axl. He followed him into new territory while offering even further possibilities. DJ came across as a dedicated hired hand. Definitely nice to fans, and he seems like a decent guy.

But they are worlds apart in terms of skill, aspirations, and contributions to GNR. That Axl didn’t work harder to keep Buckethead is the greatest tragedy.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

James wrote:

As usual...this guy doesn't know his elbow from his asshole and states the opposite of reality.

GNR lost its "coolness" in 1997 with that nameless, faceless lineup that literally couldn't be marketed after first Slash, then Duff bailed out.

Three years later Bucket enters and along with Finck brings quirkiness in place of cool, a marketable lineup is now in place... which is squandered...and also allows the possibility of pushing 21st century GNR as a supergroup... also squandered.

The only reason Ashba was brought in is because Team Brazil... notorious haters of Slash...all of a sudden wanted a B grade Slash clone.

That's it.

It was also the point many hardcore fans threw in the towel...me included. It was obvious what was happening....no more albums and they wanted to try to market GNR to casual fans until reunion time.

This!!!

I threw in the towel as well.

Having seen new GNR in 2002 at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Buckethead was the highlight.

Then in2006 at the Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC, Robin was the highlight. Bumblefoot was ok. The band was all right.

When Robin left that was it for me.

When they added DJ Ashba l was like really? This hair metal poison motley crew freak? Fuck this band.

DJ is a cunt.

Wishes he had Buckethead’s talent.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:
James wrote:

That's it.

This!!!

I threw in the towel as well.

Having seen new GNR in 2002 at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Buckethead was the highlight.

Then in2006 at the Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC, Robin was the highlight. Bumblefoot was ok. The band was all right.

When Robin left that was it for me.

When they added DJ Ashba l was like really? This hair metal poison motley crew freak? Fuck this band.

DJ is a cunt.

Wishes he had Buckethead’s talent.

I feel like you just described my GNR fandom to the T. This guy is a Dollar Store Slash wannabe. Long live bucket

gavgnr
 Rep: 4 

gavgnr wrote:

I always regret not seeing GnR with Buckethead. Had tickets to the 2001 tour here in the Uk, but it got pulled as we all know. I am still transfixed by that era of the band.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

polluxlm wrote:

Doing something different was exactly what nu gnr needed. They could never recreate the magic of the old band so why try? Axl had the right idea, but unfortunately the rest of the world sort of killed it.

If he had been able to truck on with that lineup until the fanbase got used to it I think they could have reaped great rewards. It's much easier to forget the old band when you turn up as something completely different, yet good. With Ashba and Co it pretty soon turned into a nostalgia band and the question then becomes "why not just bring back Slash?".

Yup. There was genuine curiosity about the new line-up, and in Buckethead they had an iconic figure who could act as a focus of attention in the same way as Slash (it's telling that even half a decade later, casuals, magazine articles and comedians were still referencing "the guy in the KFC bucket" long after he was out of the band). You need someone who's recognisable by their silhouette.

If they'd sorted out their management, got the record company behind the new band and CD, and coordinated their promo, there were a couple of opportunities to redefine GN'R as the CD line-up.

1) VMAs 2002. If Axl's voice had been in shape, and they'd come out of the gates with a one-two punch of Chinese Democracy and TWAT, or WTTJ and Better, or something, instead of that bizarre WTTJ/Madagascar/Paradise City medley. Songs where you showcase each of the lead guitarists and their unique tone, basically, and unapologetically blast out some new stuff. And then say, "The album is out in x weeks."

2) The 2006 tour. If they'd managed to retain Buckethead, and the continuity of the new line-up. As it was, frantically subbing in Bumblefoot left everyone confused, and started the "revolving door" of guitarists. Promo was completely fucked by the time they got around to doing the Better video; it was "introducing" like seven band members, and the two lead guitarists were no longer in the band by that point. Bumblefoot, for all his guitar skills, just wasn't as iconic a figure as Buckethead. And Robin and Fortus' idea of just sticking with two guitarists was terrible. Yes, they could play the songs, but by that point the public had latched onto Buckethead as the defining figure of nu GN'R, and his absence could only leave the band looking diminished.

But Axl's voice was on top form, and with a stable line-up (which meant coherent promo) and an album release they would've killed it.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

That is a really good point: Buckethead was the one member everyone talked about, usually progressing from shock/confusion to curiosity and then respect. He was as iconic as Slash in his hat. He defined the new era, first visually and then sonically. Didn’t Kurt Loder or another reviewer mention Bucket as the highlight of Rock in Rio?

Board footer