You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: Current Events Thread

Axl S wrote:

Mitch for once could you engage in a conversation without being a shit stirring asshole.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Jesus Christ. How are you incapable of engaging in normal discussion? It always leads to this. Haven't you only been back for a couple weeks?

I gave you another timeout...it'll expire April Fool's Day. If I have to ban again it'll be permanent. As you all know, I'm reluctant to take such measures against long time members but this is beyond ridiculous.

James

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

Over $4 a gallon for gas where I live. If they honestly believe they can blame this all on Putin the midterms are going to be a bloodbath.

$5.19 when I got gas yesterday.

Crazy.

CA needs to temporarily drop the state gas tax. Biden should let the strategic reserves flow.

I think he's handled the Russia-Ukraine crisis fairly well so far but the upcoming elections will be a complete disaster if he doesn't get control of what's happening here.

James

James wrote:

Both the Ukrainians and Russians are putting out propaganda according to the DoD

It's crazy.

Social media, smartphones, and memes have created a new battlefield in warfare.

I've noticed the Ukraine stuff is meant to embarrass/emasculate the Russians.

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw this one...

FNH90kLXIAUeTIR?format=jpg&name=small

Spreading like wildfire on Twitter...and I assume other platforms as well.

FNgPxLqWQAALKA1?format=jpg&name=small

Ukraine is winning this element of the war, no doubt about it. I assume that they're getting plenty of help.

Some of the stories they put out are crazy. I'm only believing what I can actually see. There's some terrible footage of what's going on so they don't need to lie or exaggerate incidents.

I also don't like the way Zelensky is trying to shame or goad the US into either enacting a no fly zone, send jets, or give immediate entry into either NATO or EU.

He now says he doesn't want in NATO because it doesn't do anything.

Without the West helping with guns,, money, intelligence, and the information war, Ukraine would have already lost.

He needs to tone down his rhetoric.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I actually think Biden has handled Ukraine well, too. I'm kind of torn on giving Poland jets to replenish Ukraine. But no, we can't allow ourselves to get sucked in. Putin wanted to restart the Soviet Union. He got it, and they're going the same way.

James

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

I actually think Biden has handled Ukraine well, too. I'm kind of torn on giving Poland jets to replenish Ukraine. But no, we can't allow ourselves to get sucked in. Putin wanted to restart the Soviet Union. He got it, and they're going the same way.

Other than the risk of WWIII, the main reason to stay out of it is because it forces Putin to stew in his own juices, deal with the disaster of his own making, and face the coming consequences such as a collapsing economy.

If the US or NATO intervenes, it's no longer a Russia-Ukraine conflict. It's the long hyped and long feared US- Russia showdown. This would instantly play into his hand because now the people would support him unconditionally, and the troops would certainly rally behind him.

He doesn't deserve an "out" of this magnitude.

We shouldn't go any further than the support we're giving now.

I saw how McDonald's is leaving Russia... temporarily anyways.

The first McDonald's was in Russia right before the Soviet Union collapsed and now look what's happening.

James

James wrote:

Simple and to the point. It doesn't fan the flames or create drama for the media to push.

People can see the contrast between this and how Russia will occasionally hint at using nuclear weapons.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:

I've been shocked at the media pundit class and those in the centre (both right and left) calling for direct intervention or no fly zones and how they don't realise the risk (WW3/Nuclear war) and don't recognise that from a military point of view it's completely unnecessary.

Russia seem to be incapable of performing complex air operations and therefore are having to fly low. Meanwhile that country has been flooded with anti air weapons for weeks and months now. Their planes are flying low and getting taken out by farmers and volunteers.

Let Russia sweat as this drags. This doesn't lead to any sort of victory for them now anyways.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

One thing we are finding out is Russia’s military with the exception of nukes is trash and now we must must question how efficient their nuke stockpile is. Half are probably duds. What an embarrassment for pooty poo

Axl S

Axl S wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

One thing we are finding out is Russia’s military with the exception of nukes is trash and now we must must question how efficient their nuke stockpile is. Half are probably duds. What an embarrassment for pooty poo

What's surprised isn't the quality of the equipment. Some is a bit dated but it seems largely good and effective. It's the incompetence of it's deployment and use alongside their apparent disorganisation. And that's a personnel and internal culture problem for the Russian military and state, no amount of fancy kit fixes that.

Board footer