You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

BLS-Pride wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Who is going to see Maverick so I have someone to talk to about it?

Should be going this week with my brother if I don't work over time. I'll let you know dude.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Amanda Peet was hot here and makes me wonder why she didn't become a bigger star.

Yeah... should've happened. I first saw her back then on an episode of Law and Order.

There's a lot of low-mid level actresses from that period that deserved better careers. It had to be frustrating for many of them. Looks like your career is entering the stratosphere...here comes a different batch of actresses moving up while you run in place or fade into obscurity.

Excluding those who sleep their way to the top, I've never understood exactly how Hollywood picks and chooses who moved up and down the totem pole.

I don't remember her name as it's been awhile since watching it, there's an actress on a late 80s episode of Matlock that was smoking hot. There's probably an alternate universe where she got Julia Roberts career instead of being a name I can't remember.

I've never really gotten how Hollywood chooses either. It's easier to explain how they move actresses down: age, box office success and attitude.  Let's face it if you have a rep for being difficult and you're starring in a few bombs, it's far easier to blacklist you. 

To this day, I'm not sure what the appeal of Julia Roberts is.  I mean she's not that good looking and her acting isn't that great.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

To this day, I'm not sure what the appeal of Julia Roberts is.  I mean she's not that good looking and her acting isn't that great.

- She had perfect timing. That late 80s period was just begging for new stars as we entered the 90s. She was in Mystic Pizza which made some waves....and the 1-2 punch of Steel Magnolias and Pretty Woman(along with Flatliners) cemented her position on the A List.

- The men she dated played a role...Liam Neeson who was also moving up the ladder and of course Keifer Sutherland...which leads to....

- The media wouldn't shut up about her. From magazines to gossip rags to entertainment shows and MTV, she was everywhere all the time.

It would have required a collosal blunder to fuck things up.

While I do like a few of her movies, I never understood the mass appeal either.

He'll...I like her niece(Emma) more than Julia.

Let's face it if you have a rep for being difficult and you're starring in a few bombs, it's far easier to blacklist you.

This is what killed Sean Young's career...and it was such shit timing. She was headed towards Julia Roberts level in that same timeframe. One problem though....even if her career doesn't hit the skids, she was like Geena Davis where the window is small due to her age at the time.

James

James wrote:

The Hero - This is one of Sam Elliott's best performances. It made me realize he should've had more leading roles in his career.

It covers similar ground as Bert Reynolds last film. Unfortunately...this film shits the bed and Elliott's performance can't save it. For starters, the film focuses on the wrong relationship. He gets involved with a young(er) woman and considering what's going on in his life.... diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, distant relationship with daughter, his desire for one more movie....you don't give a shit about this woman.

When he finally has the meeting with his daughter, there's like 10 minutes left in the film.

Such a waste.

Walk the Line - I waited way too long to watch this. Both Phoenix and Witherspoon are amazing in this. I love how they actually sing the songs themselves.

I just wish it had went a bit deeper into his career.

James

James wrote:

On the subject of actresses that could've/should've made it....

Shevonne Durkin

Was on an episode of The Wonder Years, this led to Leprechaun 2 and Ghost in the Machine...and then downhill from there.

Put her in an Aerosmith video in the middle of that and she's Alicia Silverstone.

James

James wrote:

Insomnia - Holy shit this was good. This makes my top 5 Pacino movies. I didn't remember anything about it except Robin Williams being the killer. It was like a new movie.

This would make a great double feature with Heat.

Daisy Winters - A Tubi recommendation. This had so much more potential. It starts as a half kids movie/family drama about a girl's relationship with her mother who's dying from cancer...and what you would expect to be the end actually happens in the middle of the film. That threw me for a loop...had no idea how they would finish the story from there.

It gets really wacky...and the film does a terrible job conveying how shocking her decision really is.

I rolled my eyes at the little twist at the end when she finds out who her father is. They take that unconventional approach in the middle just to play it safe and wrap it up nice and neat at the end.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

even if her career doesn't hit the skids, she was like Geena Davis where the window is small due to her age at the time.

This is where I really hate Hollywood's double standards.  Guys can go into the same leading man roles into their 50s.  Women?  Once you get close to 40, they are going to be writing grandmother (ie shittier) roles for you.

James wrote:

Put her in an Aerosmith video in the middle of that and she's Alicia Silverstone.

Silverstone is a great example of someone who broke through and got the "rocket push" and did nothing with it. Or maybe she never had the box office power .  If we are using wrestling terms, she was a mid carder and not main event material.  Looks at some of those bombs she starred in post-Clueless.

Neve Campbell and Love Hewiitt probably had a better box office track record/success than Silverstone.  I love Silverstone but it's obvious that she was best suited for jailbait and snobby girl roles.

Miller's Crossing; I should like this but it was ok and really dragged in the second half to the point where I started falling asleep.   There's nothing wrong with it but I just don't connect with it

Vengeance; revenge thriller w/Johnny Halladay.  Not bad.  Liked a lot more this viewing.   It had a nice meditative, "western" feel to it.

Sky Dog wrote:

Top Gun Maverick! I feel like I’m 18 again!

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Top Gun Maverick! I feel like I’m 18 again!

Hell yeah!! Glad someone else saw it. BADASS MOVIE!!

James

James wrote:

Had another Clint double feature last night....

High Plains Drifter - This is a fucked up story. Clint rides into town...gets asked to help the town....rapes two women (but this is ok because they wind up liking it)...and uses the town for all they've got.

In the final showdown he doesn't even speak to them.

No need to ever watch this again. Same with...

A Fistful of Dollars - I didn't really like this one. Without thhis being the film to get things started, which leads to some classics, this wouldn't be held in such high regard.

Silverstone is a great example of someone who broke through and got the "rocket push" and did nothing with it. Or maybe she never had the box office power .

Yeah...her peak wound up being Clueless. It looked like a smart decision at the time but I now think it was a mistake to pass on the Clueless TV show. Yeah that show was short lived....but it's because she wasn't in it.

She chose to be in a couple box office bombs instead.

Another actress from that same period who wasn't nearly as big as the media portrayed them as is Claire Danes. I never understood the push in the first place. She was in a TV show that bombed and was quickly canceled...why does this warrant the star treatment?

Neve Campbell and Love Hewiitt probably had a better box office track record/success than Silverstone

I loved Party of Five but they were both crazy for not leaving the series in season 3...maybe 4. They both had horror movie hits, the media loved them, guys loved them, and it was time to break out.

Instead they ran that momentum into the ground. Hewitt stayed on Party of Five to the point they knocked her off the show to do a spin off series which bombed of course.

She wound up being lucky to have the career she did have.

Timing is everything.

There were some crazy stories about her back then(mainly sex related). Imagine if phones and social media had been around then.

Board footer