You are not logged in. Please register or login.

otto
 Rep: 83 

Re: What is your favorite song on CD?

otto wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think 2009 and “the forever tour” happened because he needed money. I think money may have played some role in ‘16, I think they were offered Cochella and a big pay day and that’s what spurred the Slash call, but there was nowhere else to go with the *new* lineup. And I’m certain he always anticipated a reunion.

And yeah, he pushed himself with Axl/DC

Yeah, 2009 up to 2014 may very well be about money.
And maybe the reunion was supposed to be a one-shot Coachella thing for the pay day. Even if it was only a 2016 thing it would make sense...
What I don't get is the need to keep pushing it this far... What is the motivation?

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Booking them to play VMAs without even just a single and music video ready to go - that's a terrible idea. Following that up with a tour when you still have nothing ready? Also terrible idea.

Probably it was then that the record company funds started to dry and they needed the money to fund additional sessions and finish it..

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

While the 2002 and 2006-07 tours were a mistake with literally nothing to promote them, they did serve one specific purpose which was a miscalculation....

New GNR needed a reason to justify its existence. If unable or unwilling to release a single or album for whatever reason, there's only one more thing he could do....

Tour.

Each tour has its own issues....the 2002 tour is absurd on every level. It's not about "moving forward" with a new chapter/imminent album release....each venue becomes a soap box for him to rant about the old band. Some of those rants were pure cringe...and I don't think it's a coincidence it all blew up after that infamous Albany rant.

He was in the wrong state of mind to tour.

2006 in hindsight feels like a thrown together plan B when the reunion fell apart in 2005.

Now he really has to justify the project's existence...on top of the previous issues, he's now got Velvet Revolver's success to compete with.

Instead of taking a swing for the fences and getting the album (or a song) out, it's just a repeat of 2002 with a more in shape and put together Axl.

The album is in a worse state of flux than it was in 2002 because now he has to add two more people to it.

The end game for new GNR should've been the album release in 2008..... Azoff understood this. There was nowhere else for it to go....Finck understood this.

The "forever tour" as you guys are calling it was a waste of his time.

And I’m certain he always anticipated a reunion.

Absolutely.

That tour manager admitted a few years ago that Axl had reunion on his mind in 2011 but "wasn't ready yet".

Oh he was ready....he just didn't know how to approach it considering he had painted himself into a corner thanks to years of unnecessary venom spewed at the old band.

We were never getting CD II..... NEVER.

If the reunion hadn't happened, we'd still be waiting for it. Releasing it may have been briefly considered just like CD was in 2002...but it was never coming.

It's why I quickly warmed up to Slash and Duff working on some of the material....it was the only way any of it would ever be released.

James

James wrote:

Booking them to play VMAs without even just a single and music video ready to go - that's a terrible idea. Following that up with a tour when you still have nothing ready? Also terrible idea.

All they needed was a single to give them some momentum....

Madagascar with Silkworms or Riad as a B side. Hell... Silkworms might have accidentally turned it into a double A side if it can sneak its way on to a club chart and/or become a hit on the rave scene.

Not a big fan of Madagascar as a first single but he was willing to play it at the VMAs....so release it. Should've been in stores within days of that performance.

They didn't have the slightest clue what they were doing. It's unfortunate that the rest of the lineup didn't have any clout or influence to get something going.

The next blunder would happen a year later with the infamous Trunk IRS leak. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory....

Releasing that as a single to tide fans over would've worked wonders in more ways than one...

Fans are happy

Media has something positive to discuss

It buys time for you to wrap up the album without the negativity clouding everything.

I'll go even one step further with the 2006 leaks....

By the time the band hits the stage at Hammerstein, the following songs should have been released as an EP....

Better(this is the single)
IRS
TWAT

Hell...you could still include those on the album two years later.

Sky Dog wrote:

So, I actually have listened to Only Women Bleed original from beginning to end. It ends with a choir like vocal outro…axl aped that on TWAT. He respects his heroes and inspiration…just listen to the end of Alice’s original…pretty cool

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:

All they needed was a single to give them some momentum....

Madagascar with Silkworms or Riad as a B side. Hell... Silkworms might have accidentally turned it into a double A side if it can sneak its way on to a club chart and/or become a hit on the rave scene.

Not a big fan of Madagascar as a first single but he was willing to play it at the VMAs....so release it. Should've been in stores within days of that performance.

They didn't have the slightest clue what they were doing. It's unfortunate that the rest of the lineup didn't have any clout or influence to get something going.

The next blunder would happen a year later with the infamous Trunk IRS leak. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory....

Releasing that as a single to tide fans over would've worked wonders in more ways than one...

Fans are happy

Media has something positive to discuss

It buys time for you to wrap up the album without the negativity clouding everything.

I'll go even one step further with the 2006 leaks....

By the time the band hits the stage at Hammerstein, the following songs should have been released as an EP....

Better(this is the single)
IRS
TWAT

Hell...you could still include those on the album two years later.

I think in retrospect, looking at the shit that was released at the time, the record company was off-base saying they had no songs. There was plenty of interest in what Axl was doing. Release what’s done after Rio and maybe there’s something. But given the dynamics of the industry at the time they thought maybe there’s a blast in curiosity sales but it won’t sell a tour, so let’s hold out for a reunion. They weren’t necessarily wrong.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
James wrote:

Silkworms might have accidentally turned it into a double A side if it can sneak its way on to a club chart and/or become a hit on the rave scene.

Not sure if you’re being serious or not, but literally LOL’d at that.

lol

That seems to go along with you saying that Melissa is their secret weapon to bring them to a new audience, when they won’t give two shits about her or these old rock guys.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

FlashFlood wrote:

I think in retrospect, looking at the shit that was released at the time, the record company was off-base saying they had no songs. There was plenty of interest in what Axl was doing. Release what’s done after Rio and maybe there’s something. But given the dynamics of the industry at the time they thought maybe there’s a blast in curiosity sales but it won’t sell a tour, so let’s hold out for a reunion. They weren’t necessarily wrong.

I've said it many times before, but what they *should* have done was bust out Chinese Democracy or Better at the VMAs. A solid, catchy rocker, instead of fucking around with a medley of old stuff that reminds people of the old band, with the dirge-like Madagascar inserted awkwardly in the middle. Have the confidence to showcase one of the new tracks, in full.

Additional benefit: doing Better or ChiDem means that Axl doesn't blow his voice out on the opening WTTJ scream.

Then drop whichever of those two you played as the single. And if it's Chinese Democracy, for fuck's sake release a radio edit that chops off the intro and goes straight to the guitar chords.

Then drop TWAT as the follow-up. Boom; you've proved that the band can do the hard rock stuff (and showcased the shredding skills of your two lead guitarists), and you've proved that the band can do the big epic November Rain stuff.

James

James wrote:

for fuck's sake release a radio edit that chops off the intro and goes straight to the guitar chords.

That intro was added later.

I tried to find it on YouTube but unfortunately it's gone....

The Boston radio ad in 2002 promoting the tour had snippets of studio versions of CD, The Blues, and Madagascar.

CD starts with the guitar....Axls scream isn't even there.

Anyone still have that?

That seems to go along with you saying that Melissa is their secret weapon to bring them to a new audience, when they won’t give two shits about her or these old rock guys.

The potential of having a young female in the band was completely squandered....it no longer matters if she's in or out of the band...

She's just there... nothing more, nothing less.

But given the dynamics of the industry at the time they thought maybe there’s a blast in curiosity sales but it won’t sell a tour, so let’s hold out for a reunion. They weren’t necessarily wrong.

Yeah...but they weren't right either. 17

Unfortunately they didn't realize that the way to usher in a reunion was to get Chinese Democracy out of the way.

I realize they didn't have hindsight but it should have become obvious to people like Iovine and the others that the talks of double albums and trilogies was just blowing smoke.

Just needed to get one album out of his system and let him tour it for a year or two....

Then the planets start aligning.

Let him release it in 2001 and the reunion probably happens in 2004.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

Board footer