You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: What is your favorite song on CD?

James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

Yeah that's it. If not, it's another variation of it.

Fans went ape shit over that back then...but no worries...we'd be hearing the full songs shortly!  lol

Hard to believe it took six more years.

What a waste.

Sky Dog wrote:

Well, when they actually said Chinese Democracy tour, one would think they had some Chinese Democracy songs ready to go! No….

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

ClaudeF wrote:

I remember losing my shit when I saw that commercial. That was all pre-forum for me.

James

James wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

I remember losing my shit when I saw that commercial. That was all pre-forum for me.

You weren't on the forums/newsgroups 1999-2002?

Must have been another hardcore Stephen King/gunslinger fan at the time because your name was in the mix on those newsgroups/bulletin boards.

If it wasn't you, it was probably Slinger.

Anyone who was on those back in the day and you saw AxlRose420...that was me.

That was my name in the Quake 3/Unreal /NFL2k games as well...I was that skeleton character. I don't do online games anymore but loved it back then. In the Quake arenas, the regulars would hate to see my name pop up in level 13....they knew their goose was cooked.

Too bad the tech wasn't what it became...I would've loved for some of those matches to be recorded.

I miss those days...we deserved an album. hmm

Well, when they actually said Chinese Democracy tour, one would think they had some Chinese Democracy songs ready to go! No….

Chinese Democracy starts now!

James

James wrote:

I miss those days...we deserved an album

GNR fan community wise, the community that really deserved an album to experience and discuss is probably HTGTH and mygnr circa 2004-05....it was the height of the online fan base. Such a great group of people....

The old timers here
Saul
ppbebe
Eva
Acquiesce
AxlsMainMan
RocketQueen
Jazjme
Evolution

List goes on and on. HTGTH had like a thousand regulars at the time.

After the leak craze of 2006 perfectly timed with both big forums selling out, they started to hemorrhage members left and right...which led to sites like this one being created.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

James wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

You weren't on the forums/newsgroups 1999-2002?

Must have been another hardcore Stephen King/gunslinger fan at the time because your name was in the mix on those newsgroups/bulletin boards.

If it wasn't you, it was probably Slinger.

Yea, that was Gunslinger. He’s one the old school guys who sent me shit in Iraq. RIP Tommie.

The 2002 tour and hearing Madagascar and The Blues for the first time led me to the forums where I lurked for a year before posting.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

As much as 2001 went wrong...I think 2006 was a criminal waste too.

Remember the vibe back then. People were excited.

The surprise Eddie Trunk radio chat got legitimate interest from people.

Hammerstein Ballroom shows got a lot of attention. Fans were into it. Axl was sounding good.

There was a legit moment for something good to happen there. The shows were good....but there was just nothing...it was like 2 years of cool shows where the set progressively got less CD themed (TWAT went away etc) and then at the end of the tour an absolutely painful silence until the album drop with 2008.

Which was done with absolutely nothing. For another whole year.

I mean it was never going to be the old band, but the songs are good, and the 2006 era band could deliver. It's a shame it didn't get a proper shot. Least we got some good proshots I guess.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

As much as 2001 went wrong...I think 2006 was a criminal waste too.

Remember the vibe back then. People were excited.

The surprise Eddie Trunk radio chat got legitimate interest from people.

Hammerstein Ballroom shows got a lot of attention. Fans were into it. Axl was sounding good.

There was a legit moment for something good to happen there. The shows were good....but there was just nothing...it was like 2 years of cool shows where the set progressively got less CD themed (TWAT went away etc) and then at the end of the tour an absolutely painful silence until the album drop with 2008.

Which was done with absolutely nothing. For another whole year.

I mean it was never going to be the old band, but the songs are good, and the 2006 era band could deliver. It's a shame it didn't get a proper shot. Least we got some good proshots I guess.

The fatal mistake in 2006 was not moving heaven and Earth to get Buckethead back. Ron was good, but he's not iconic in the same way Buckethead and Slash are, and it reinforced the idea that GN'R was a revolving-door operation where Axl needed three guitarists to replace Slash. It introduced delays as Axl felt obliged to add Ron to the album, but he still wanted to respect Bucket's contributions/couldn't bring himself to lose Bucket's guitar parts, so you end up with this Chinese stew of bits and pieces.

And it fucked the promo; you can no longer bill the band as a stable, coherent line-up, the "new GN'R," instead it's a chaotic attempt to replace Slash that's constantly in flux because "Axl can't find anyone good enough." The Better video now needs re-editing to include Bumblefoot, but it's got Buckethead on it as though he was still a current member. Casual viewers will be wondering how many fucking guitarists this band has in it. And then Robin bails and you face the prospect of re-editing the thing again to include DJ Ashba and it looks like there are five guitarists in the band, for crying out loud.

If Buckethead had been there in 2006, the post-Slash era of GN'R would've looked very different.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah it would be interesting.

I always think the whole thing would be different if Robin had not originally been the lead guy. Not saying he can never do a lead some of his stuff suits the new songs well. But he never had the chops to be lead player on the old material.

I would have put him in the Izzy role....that is Rhythm player who contributes new material, sure give him the odd lead line on the CD songs, but like Richard his main role is to be the rhythm guy. Then hire a monster player to be Slash and give that guy EVERY lead. Like a buckethead (although his image was an issue), a bumble, or maybe someone with more of a blues-shred background like Doug Aldrich. Slash's role is to be the guitar hero of the group...so it just works better having 1 dude in that role not splitting it into 2/3.

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Wilco wrote:
James wrote:

I miss those days...we deserved an album

GNR fan community wise, the community that really deserved an album to experience and discuss is probably HTGTH and mygnr circa 2004-05....it was the height of the online fan base. Such a great group of people....

The old timers here
Saul
ppbebe
Eva
Acquiesce
AxlsMainMan
RocketQueen
Jazjme
Evolution

List goes on and on. HTGTH had like a thousand regulars at the time.

After the leak craze of 2006 perfectly timed with both big forums selling out, they started to hemorrhage members left and right...which led to sites like this one being created.

Im an old timer as well. I used to be known as Miser. And yes, I was a dick back in the day but then again, I was between 12-19 years old in 2002-2009. Not exactly a mature rational person. I still have my days of irrationality, but I’m trying to do a little bit better all the time.

Board footer