You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: What is your favorite song on CD?

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah it would be interesting.

I always think the whole thing would be different if Robin had not originally been the lead guy. Not saying he can never do a lead some of his stuff suits the new songs well. But he never had the chops to be lead player on the old material.

I would have put him in the Izzy role....that is Rhythm player who contributes new material, sure give him the odd lead line on the CD songs, but like Richard his main role is to be the rhythm guy. Then hire a monster player to be Slash and give that guy EVERY lead. Like a buckethead (although his image was an issue), a bumble, or maybe someone with more of a blues-shred background like Doug Aldrich. Slash's role is to be the guitar hero of the group...so it just works better having 1 dude in that role not splitting it into 2/3.

The thing is Robin is an interesting lead player; I'd love to see him in a Zeppelin/Queen-esque set-up where there's only one guitarist who gets to define the entire sound of the band. But in a GN'R setting where there's a weight of expectation as to how the band should sound, I'm not sure it entirely clicks. And I say that as a Robin fan who loves his contributions.

So you either go with the original plan – Robin as the only lead player, a complete change of direction for the sound, and wave goodbye to all those epic Buckethead solos that are outside of his comfort zone. Or you accept that Finck would be wasted on rhythm and go with a Fortus/Buckethead combo.

But then you run into the problem of Buckethead not really clicking with the other band members (Tommy in particular). Basically, a two-guitar setup with Fortus and Buckethead was probably the winning combo, but I'm not sure it would've lasted in any case, just because of the personalities involved.

Ironically the setup that would've probably been most acceptable to GN'R fans from the off would've been Fortus on lead and someone else on rhythm. Fortus has a look and feel that isn't alienating to GN'R fans, he can shred, etc etc. But by the time he auditioned, Axl had found Buckethead and had the bit between his teeth...

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Wilco wrote:

If Matt had gotten his way, the band would’ve had Slash on lead and Robin on rhythm. That could’ve been interesting

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

But then you run into the problem of Buckethead not really clicking with the other band members (Tommy in particular).

Robin in particular too. We know they had to get along for awhile as they worked on that soundtrack together but he said in a much later interview how frustrating it was having to work with him.

On the subject of Tommy....even though he hated Bucket, I liked how he finally admitted years later the project was essentially over the moment Bucket bailed.

The problem wasn't just Bucket....it's the fact that it's an unconventional lineup that wasn't built to last....use it or lose it....

He lost it.

James

James wrote:

I'd love to see him in a Zeppelin/Queen-esque set-up where there's only one guitarist who gets to define the entire sound of the band

James

James wrote:
Wilco wrote:
James wrote:

I miss those days...we deserved an album

GNR fan community wise, the community that really deserved an album to experience and discuss is probably HTGTH and mygnr circa 2004-05....it was the height of the online fan base. Such a great group of people....

The old timers here
Saul
ppbebe
Eva
Acquiesce
AxlsMainMan
RocketQueen
Jazjme
Evolution

List goes on and on. HTGTH had like a thousand regulars at the time.

After the leak craze of 2006 perfectly timed with both big forums selling out, they started to hemorrhage members left and right...which led to sites like this one being created.

Im an old timer as well. I used to be known as Miser. And yes, I was a dick back in the day but then again, I was between 12-19 years old in 2002-2009. Not exactly a mature rational person. I still have my days of irrationality, but I’m trying to do a little bit better all the time.

I remember you.

I can assure you I hold no grudges with anyone from those days.

The entire GNR community was a madhouse. It's a miracle I'm still alive....I should've died back then from a drug overdose. I was taking enough pills each day to down an elephant or kill a bull moose...and I did that every day for years.

There's countless posts from back then I don't even remember writing.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

I'm still here... lurking and posting sporadically. HTGTH was an incredible forum in the years leading up to CD

Board footer