You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Re: What are your opinions of HS and Absurd?

Wilco wrote:

Considering they’re technically the first “new” songs since TSI?

To be honest, I’m probably in a very small minority on this, but I actually like Absurd a lot more. HS is very GNR by numbers to me, sort of like, a less angry YCBM; if you slow down the tempo of HS in your head it’s even kinda got a similar rhythm and vibe to it as YCBM does

Absurd is more interesting because it’s unhinged, angry, wild and the guitars are basically very wired, it’s venomous; I really wish, with all my heart, that we had gotten an album’s worth of songs like OMG, Absurd, Shackler’s, Scraped, etc - the angrier songs

But, I’ve said my opinion. I’d love to hear yours

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Absurd: Utterly baffling that this was the song they used to announce their return.

Slash and Duff have really elevated it musically, but the repeated lyrics are irritating. Songs are usually structured to build outwards from the initial lyric, like a fractal; just repeating the first verse over and over feels counterintuitive. And they haven't even used some of the additional lyrics that we know exist from earlier demos and live performances, in order to add variety.

If it were me, I would've structured it something like this:
[Verse]
Listen, motherfuckers, to the song that should be heard
Back down in the gutter is more than you deserve
Screaming fucking banshee, you know that’s what you are
Pussy full of maggots, isn’t that absurd?

[Chorus]
Absurd
Absurd
Absurd

[Verse]
Dizzy little dreamer with your head down in the stars
Fucking little schemer lost yourself inside the art
Syphilitic priestess baby, I know who you are
Parasitic demon sucking acid through your heart

[Chorus]
What can I do?
With a bitch like you…

[Chorus]
All I have I ask of you
I'll be damned
If it's not true
Every word of you
A bitch like you

[Chorus]
Absurd
Absurd
Absurd

[Bridge]
Just another life slips away

[Refrain]
Listen, motherfuckers, to the song that should be heard
Back down in the gutter is more than you deserve
Screaming fucking banshee you know that’s what you are
Pussy full of maggots, isn’t that absurd?

[Chorus]
Absurd
Absurd
Absurd

Hard Skool: Solid song, should've been the first one out the gates. I really like it. I know the use of the "aah-aahs" from one of the other demos irritates fans, but honestly if we hadn't had the leaks no one would've known. The drums are a bit plodding on the final release; they really should've used the drums from the original demo, which are much more dynamic and interesting.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I thought I was going to be the only one saying I like Absurd more than Hardschool.

I don't hate Hardschool or anything, in fact I like the vocal melodies, but musically to me the layla vibe in the middle kinda breaks the mood or something. I guess it functions well as a come back short song with a GNR feel but the whole is sort of less than the sum of the parts with it or something. You know the band can do better than it as they've proven it many times.

Absurd I like it. I think the guitar version has a charming Zep feel about the riff and I like the touch slash brings to the solos (even though he tends to do even better live but that's slash in general). I like the mood of the lyrics - it has that sort of classic Axl venom and anger to it. Only thing I would change is maybe the last repeat I'd have added a new verse text as it's got quite a lot of repeats as a song. But I think it sits well  on a playlist with older GNR. I would like more in this style too.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The spacey breakdown in Absurd is pretty f’n cool.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I quote like Hardschool. The vocal line is pretty good and the guitar elevates it from the messy demo imo. I think it's better than Slither which was VR's best song and actually most of CD too.

Absurd is also an improvement over Silkworms. Not a great track but good. Something along the lines of Shotgun Blues for me.

If they ever release more I'm kinda excited to hear it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

They're both average songs.

Absurd - It's not just the fact that this is essentially a filler track if it appeared on an album, it's the fact that it was used as the first new song in 20+ years. Ridiculous. It almost felt like trolling the hardcore base...or even trolling Slash and Duff.

It's also worse than the original demo and old live versions.

Hard School - out of the two songs, this should've been the first. That's not saying much though....this is Shadow of Your Love quality.

It doesn't inspire much confidence when these are the first two songs placed on the launch pad. Credit where it's due...at least they did release them.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I listened to both songs in the shower today to have a fresh opinion.  Hard Skool is still a solid rocker closer to IRS or YCBM all Wilco said, albeit without the same level of quality in lyrics.  James' comparison to SOYL is apt.  Both are solid rockers that will never be played at a NFL game unlike Jungle or PC.

Absurd is just noise.  Maybe better than My World, but this isn't the band for this song.  It's grown on me to an extent, but I chalk that up to repeated listenings and the fact I'm a GN'R fanboy like the rest of you.  If say Aerosmith released this song, I'd be laughing as hard at it as anyone who isn't a GN'R fanboy.  I don't know anyone outside of the forums who thinks this song is anything but an attempt to release a song, and a mediocre if not terrible one at that.

If GN'R wants to go down the path of AC/DC and release the same songs with different lyrics and arrangements, they should keep putting out songs like Hard Skool.  If they want to have any appreciation at the same level as their existing library, this ain't the path to take.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

I like the 2000 Silkworms demo and HOB performance. Absurd is abrasive garbage. Atrocious riffs and annoying chorus, the only thing that makes it more listenable than the BBF version is the fact that it's mixed properly.

I like Slash's additions to Hard Skool but the echoey mix on Axl's vocals completely destroys the song.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I listened to both songs in the shower today to have a fresh opinion.  Hard Skool is still a solid rocker closer to IRS or YCBM all Wilco said, albeit without the same level of quality in lyrics.  James' comparison to SOYL is apt.  Both are solid rockers that will never be played at a NFL game unlike Jungle or PC.

Absurd is just noise.  Maybe better than My World, but this isn't the band for this song.  It's grown on me to an extent, but I chalk that up to repeated listenings and the fact I'm a GN'R fanboy like the rest of you.  If say Aerosmith released this song, I'd be laughing as hard at it as anyone who isn't a GN'R fanboy.  I don't know anyone outside of the forums who thinks this song is anything but an attempt to release a song, and a mediocre if not terrible one at that.

If GN'R wants to go down the path of AC/DC and release the same songs with different lyrics and arrangements, they should keep putting out songs like Hard Skool.  If they want to have any appreciation at the same level as their existing library, this ain't the path to take.

These are my thoughts pretty much.  I think I would love Hard Skool more if they dumped the vocals in the middle.  As for Absurd, it pretty much wore out it's welcome quick for me.  I even preferred the lyrics from 2001 when it was called Silkworms.

But I do listen to Hard Skool a fair amount and it is a solid song/B side.  And there's nothing wrong with that.

Sky Dog wrote:

Both b-sides and outtakes in any era of the band.

Board footer