You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Re: Does anyone else kinda miss the 09-14 lineup?

Wilco wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Ron ended his tenure as a bitch…jaded for good reason but too whiny. Slashba was way way way too cheesy for me. He was a worse fit than Ron.

So, no, I don’t miss that band.

They dropped the ball in 2001-2002. It was the time to release a record and unleash a new version of Gnr. They didn’t do it and the rest is what it is.

Yeah, I did kinda sour on Ron trashing the band and being bitter toward the end. I understand where he was coming from, being in that band and being a creative person must be endlessly frustrating but you don’t bite the hand that feeds by crying to the press.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I seem to remember MSL saying the hand wasn't able to feed for a good deal of time...but then what would I know.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I remember all the hype around the Hammerstein shows in 2006, using the classic/hybrid logo, and getting my hopes up for at least some form of partial reunion. Ends up being BBF and an occasional Izzy appearance but I could live with it because it felt like the album was imminent, Axl was on fire, and at least Robin was still around. When they announced Ashba as the replacement for Robin that was the moment where it was like…what are we doing here. I still supported the band and went to a show with that lineup, but that’s all we had. Probably the best way to sum up that lineup…it was all we had.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

Bumble was/is a great guy and genuine talent. His frustration with the band is ultimately the same as ours: He wanted more music.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

There's nothing to miss...not a single song was released during that timeframe.

Hell...even the few leaks during that period sucked.

It was a new low.... sickening how 5 years got wasted on that lineup. Axl is lucky that no irreparable harm was done to the band and its legacy.

I predicted the moment Ashba walked through the door that nothing would get released on his watch...and I wasn't surprised by being proved right.

It was obvious what the strategy was post-CD release....Axl/TB wanted to be able to market GNR to a casual audience so they could keep the train running (and money flowing) until time for the reunion.

I don't care what the various insiders said over the years....we were never getting an album on that lineups watch.

A lineup admittedly incapable of performing Riad...a song on the album they were supposedly promoting? Ashba posing in between butchered solos? Members talking of working on several records even though they were working on none?

How can anyone miss that?!?

My fandom was over in 2009. I only stuck around for the community...until my addiction got so bad I checked out for a few years.

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Wilco wrote:
James wrote:

There's nothing to miss...not a single song was released during that timeframe.

Hell...even the few leaks during that period sucked.

It was a new low.... sickening how 5 years got wasted on that lineup. Axl is lucky that no irreparable harm was done to the band and its legacy.

I predicted the moment Ashba walked through the door that nothing would get released on his watch...and I wasn't surprised by being proved right.

It was obvious what the strategy was post-CD release....Axl/TB wanted to be able to market GNR to a casual audience so they could keep the train running (and money flowing) until time for the reunion.

I don't care what the various insiders said over the years....we were never getting an album on that lineups watch.

A lineup admittedly incapable of performing Riad...a song on the album they were supposedly promoting? Ashba posing in between butchered solos? Members talking of working on several records even though they were working on none?

How can anyone miss that?!?

My fandom was over in 2009. I only stuck around for the community...until my addiction got so bad I checked out for a few years.

You make all valid points. I just for me it was just the 2009-2010 period where Axl both looked and sounded like himself, CD was out after waiting forever and it seemed at least possible that we might get a follow up. Axl was still doing a lot of press compared to post 2016 and was still angry, still genuine. I guess that’s what I miss about that period - Axl wasn’t this funny fun guy that goes on stage on time and is totally politically correct (and back then he wasn’t even openly political either) - he was still Axl: angry, dysfunctional, highly opinionated. I guess that’s what I miss. Not necessarily the band or the post 2011 depressingness of it all

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Axl went back to the Mickey voice during that period too

Sky Dog wrote:

Sounds like you need a therapist, not a rock n roll singer. Everything you need to know about Axl is in Guns songs…

Triple H
 Rep: 2 

Triple H wrote:

No

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Triple H wrote:

No

I agree with Triple H.

Board footer