You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: Current Events Thread

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

Anything is possible, I just don’t think he’s smart enough or dumb enough to do that. He’s like the Diet Coke of dumb. Not all that good either way.

He could’ve absolutely been reckless with it. Something as big as espionage would require something… I don’t know, bigger? Like they’d have to be certain he did it, and there would have to be arrests, and Garland would definitely have to know about it. It’s just strange. It started off being a Secret Service agent being concerned over improperly stored documents to selling shit to Saudi Arabia. Idk

Reading up on what he was actually charged/alleged with, I would sort of agree that it's probably not the more serious one of selling stuff to foreign government.  He got charged with chp 18, 793 which is gathering, losing, or transmitting defense information.  794 is the more serious one about aiding foreign governments and guys like Ames got charged with.

Also,  let's just put it this way, I could see him keeping the documents because he was felt he was entitled to them.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think he’d keep them just so he could show them at parties 16

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

Trump obviously selling docs to Putin. Finally caught him redhanded.

misterID

misterID wrote:

FaC4SjWXgAEWsQ3?format=jpg&name=large

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Him being too dumb to not take the documents in the first place and him being too dumb and/or stubborn to return this is very plausible.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Him being too dumb to not take the documents in the first place and him being too dumb and/or stubborn to return this is very plausible.

Indeed.

It's what's called "Trump being Trump".

It's not going to be the scandal to end all scandals like some believe and/or like I saw on Reddit earlier ... getting executed for treason.

He will not go to jail.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I don't think he's dumb.

Maybe he's got policies one doesn't like, or personality traits that people don't like.

But I mean he's been successful in real estate, television and politics over 40 years. If he was truely stupid that wouldn't be the case.

misterID

misterID wrote:

He’s obviously intelligent, but some men have real neurological changes as they get older or from the medication they take, where they can get more childlike; stubborn, irrational and immature. Some worse than others. It doesn’t have a lot to do with intelligence but temperament. He reminds a lot of my dad in his later years. Being ignorant doesn’t mean he’s stupid.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Far as I can see, from a judicial standpoint, when Trump as President took home the documents to an unsecured location he in effect declassified them. Apparently they were headed for the National Archives so it doesn't sound like it could have been all that compromising, but what do I know.

For him to be charged with this smacks of lawlessness. It's like they've decided to treat him like just an ordinary citizen and everybody goes along with it.

Clinton afaik did give classified nuclear secret to China in the 90s. Goes to show it's all about who you know and what you can do for them.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Far as I can see, from a judicial standpoint, when Trump as President took home the documents to an unsecured location he in effect declassified them. Apparently they were headed for the National Archives so it doesn't sound like it could have been all that compromising, but what do I know.

For him to be charged with this smacks of lawlessness. It's like they've decided to treat him like just an ordinary citizen and everybody goes along with it.

He hasn't been charged with anything yet. He's being investigated and they got the warrant because they had probable cause that he was violating or had violated those three statutes.

If the affidavit is unsealed we'll have a better idea of what he is being investigated for having done.

Also, he is an ordinary citizen. Once he's no longer president he can be found guilty of things again and isn't immune. The declassification argument... it doesn't seem like it's supposed to work that way and seems a reckless precedent to set.

As I and others have said - we ultimately don't know a whole lot yet, can only speculate to varying extremes at the moment on what is happening and actually has happened.

My suspicion is they think they've got him on more than just holding on to documents he shouldn't hold on to because this feels like a very heavy handed approach for a crime that in the court of public opinion comes across like a nothingburger to some. Even though it's actually pretty serious if he's holding national security secrets, even DOJ has to know that if this is all it is then it looks like overkill, even if legally it's perfectly justified.

Board footer