You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: NFL 2022/23 season

faldor wrote:

It's that time of year again.  Dog days of summer are just about over, fall is coming in hot.  Figured we had a somewhat lively topic for the season last year, so might as well start another one.  Could this be Buffalo's year?  I think it might be.  Does Tom Brady have another SB run in him?  Ultimately I think his offensive line may hold him back, but I've learned to never count the man out.  AFC West looks like it'll be much more competitive this season.  As a Patriots fan, I am not very hopeful.  They looked awful over the summer.  That doesn't always mean much, but it's tough to get too excited based on how bad they've looked.  I'm predicting a 7-10 season.

I also setup the fantasy football draft for Tuesday 9/6 at 8:30 PM EST, for all returnees.  I look forward to defending my title.  I have to be honest, I completely forgot I won last year.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I've only watched parts of two games so far....Hall of Fame game and Rams vs Chargers. A Niners game was about to come on last week but I had to leave right before it came on.

I don't know if it's because I am a more casual fan nowadays or something else but I've noticed preseason has a different vibe now. For one thing..I noticed teams don't seem to play their starters much anymore.

Preseason has been shortened... this should've happened decades ago. Three games?!? It was like 5 or 6 in the 90s.

Even though my fandom has dropped significantly this past decade or so, I'm gonna try to keep my interest going for the full season. Two main reasons....

Bears are essentially starting from scratch...an overhaul that was years overdue. Maybe they can turn it into a Cinderella year.

Brady. I'm not really a fan but he's an icon and this is likely his last year. When these types go away, especially in this era, they are never replaced.

So the haters and lovers better enjoy him while he's here.

I always wanted a Bears-Bills Superbowl. While it would've been a dream match in the late 80s-early 90s and doesn't mean anything now, I'd still love to see it happen.

Also wanted a Bears-Ravens Superbowl in the 2000s. It's the only matchup in the 21st century I ever really desired. If the above can't happen, maybe this one could take its place.

Unfortunately.....the Superbowl will probably be Brady against whoever is the AFC flavor of the week.

I might go to Jura's Pizza and watch a game...maybe wait til the playoffs for it. I haven't done that type of thing in many years and I miss it. I've been getting really nostalgic for the 90s lately and going to pizza parlors, sports bars, and pool halls to watch some games is something I did in the 90s.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

also setup the fantasy football draft for Tuesday 9/6 at 8:30 PM EST, for all returnees.  I look forward to defending my title.  I have to be honest, I completely forgot I won last year.

I used to love our fantasy league and Pick Em league in the mid 2000s. It was usually ROV-Evo vs HTGTH. A nice rivalry. Too bad Jarmo wasn't interested or he could've joined for shits and giggles.

Anyways...I would start forgetting about it and miss deadlines. If you miss more than one, it creates too big of an obstacle to catch up.

The main problem in the 2020s is how both sites have such a small amount of activity that various sports leagues(from NFL to wrestling) probably don't have much of a chance at taking off.

I just checked HTGTH for the first time in eons. Yikes.

The last page of the wrestling thread...a super active thread in the old days...spans five years.

The 2017 NFL thread that also served as the NFL thread the past five years is one page.

The Jungle section...which used to be one of the most active off topic sections on the internet...it even had people who didn't listen to GNR...page 1 is four years of posts.

Back in the day page 1 would be one day worth of posts.

That's worse than here. 18

I hate how forums are dying. Considering how many people use the internet in today's world, imagine how active forums would be if social media had never happened.

faldor

faldor wrote:

I noticed that over on HTGTH too. I used to post in the off topic section for various sports everyday pretty much. Now I’d be talking to myself. No action whatsoever.

This is likely Brady’s last year in Tampa. There’s some speculation that he could bolt for Miami though next season and get a stake in ownership. He was set to go there with Sean Payton until that fell apart. Also interesting note from Dana White recently that he and Gronk were going to both go to the Raiders but Gruden wouldn’t sign off on it.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
faldor wrote:

As a Patriots fan, I am not very hopeful.  They looked awful over the summer.  That doesn't always mean much, but it's tough to get too excited based on how bad they've looked.  I'm predicting a 7-10 season.

What's going on there?  I haven't paid attention to anything outside of the Titans.  I figure Belicheck will at least have them winning games they shouldn't and the divison isn't hard outside of the two Buffalo games.  I think they win the other 3 divison games where they don't play BUF.  They might lose the opener vs MIA though since they seem like they never play well in MIA. I haven't looked at their schedule yet. Also it depends which guys played in preseason, if the 3rd stringers looked awful it's not a big deal.

James wrote:

I don't know if it's because I am a more casual fan nowadays or something else but I've noticed preseason has a different vibe now. For one thing..I noticed teams don't seem to play their starters much anymore.

Preseason has been shortened... this should've happened decades ago. Three games?!? It was like 5 or 6 in the 90s.

Even though my fandom has dropped significantly this past decade or so, I'm gonna try to keep my interest going for the full season. Two main reasons....

Bears are essentially starting from scratch...an overhaul that was years overdue. Maybe they can turn it into a Cinderella year.

Brady. I'm not really a fan but he's an icon and this is likely his last year. When these types go away, especially in this era, they are never replaced.

So the haters and lovers better enjoy him while he's here.

Weird.  My fandom has actually increased since the 90s.  My MLB fandom is the one has dropped like a rock though.  Preseason games are sleeping pills, the less the better. 

Bears might be one of the worst teams in the league.  They really should have done the reset LAST YEAR and not wasted Fields' rookie year.

Just for storyline purposes, Brady should have retired after the Super Bowl win vs the Chiefs.  But he's like a fucking cyborg.  I also think he's done after this year.  Crazy that he's already signed a brodcasting contract that pays him a ton more than 90% of most NFL players.

faldor wrote:

This is likely Brady’s last year in Tampa. There’s some speculation that he could bolt for Miami though next season and get a stake in ownership. He was set to go there with Sean Payton until that fell apart. Also interesting note from Dana White recently that he and Gronk were going to both go to the Raiders but Gruden wouldn’t sign off on it.

I don't know which part of the speculations were more insane: the entire Dolphins Brady/Payton saga or the fact that the Raiders turned down Brady.  Guess Carr was the guy that Brady mentioned a few years ago (the "you're sticking with THAT GUY comment).

The Dolphins also got a first rounder taken away because of their shennanigans on the Brady/Payton chase.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Patriots #1s have looked bad against their own #1s on D throughout the summer. Wasn’t sure if the offense was bad or the defense was good. But then the #1s looked bad against both the Panthers and Raiders backups. And all reports have been their offense has just not been able to get on track in camp.

Josh McDaniels left to coach the Raiders and they never hired an offensive coordinator to replace him. Instead, Matt Patricia is calling the plays, an ex failed head coach and former defensive coordinator. And Joe Judge is coaching the QBs, a failed head coach & former special teams coordinator. Plus they’ve installed a new offense this season. Needless to say, it’s not off to a good start. The optimistic view is they haven’t game planned yet & they’ll let Mac have more of a say once they get going. We will see. It just doesn’t seem like they’re well positioned heading into Mac’s 2nd year. Brady would be able to mask most deficiencies, but that’s a lot to ask of a 2nd year QB.

Their defense should be decent, but they were pretty good last year until they wilted at the end and they couldn’t stop anyone down the stretch. They need to improve against the run. They’ve been gashed the last two seasons. And I honestly don’t see any big improvements in that department. We’ll see.

They have a tough schedule to start. I think they’ll be lucky to go 1-3 out of the chute (@Miami, @Pitt, Ravens, @Packers). They have some winnable games in the middle and it gets tough again at the end.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
faldor wrote:

Patriots #1s have looked bad against their own #1s on D throughout the summer. Wasn’t sure if the offense was bad or the defense was good. But then the #1s looked bad against both the Panthers and Raiders backups. And all reports have been their offense has just not been able to get on track in camp.

Josh McDaniels left to coach the Raiders and they never hired an offensive coordinator to replace him. Instead, Matt Patricia is calling the plays, an ex failed head coach and former defensive coordinator. And Joe Judge is coaching the QBs, a failed head coach & former special teams coordinator. Plus they’ve installed a new offense this season. Needless to say, it’s not off to a good start. The optimistic view is they haven’t game planned yet & they’ll let Mac have more of a say once they get going. We will see. It just doesn’t seem like they’re well positioned heading into Mac’s 2nd year. Brady would be able to mask most deficiencies, but that’s a lot to ask of a 2nd year QB.

Their defense should be decent, but they were pretty good last year until they wilted at the end and they couldn’t stop anyone down the stretch. They need to improve against the run. They’ve been gashed the last two seasons. And I honestly don’t see any big improvements in that department. We’ll see.

They have a tough schedule to start. I think they’ll be lucky to go 1-3 out of the chute (@Miami, @Pitt, Ravens, @Packers). They have some winnable games in the middle and it gets tough again at the end.

Summed up nicely but I’d still go over 8.5 wins.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Do I just log onto yahoo! to access?

faldor

faldor wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Do I just log onto yahoo! to access?

Yep. This should be the direct link, but as long as you login you should be good since all returning teams are automatically invited back.
https://football.fantasysports.yahoo.co … ersrevenge

Flashflood, I could see the Pats winning 9 games after taking a close look at the schedule today, 10 tops. I could also see them winning 5 if things go sideways or don’t improve. Ultimately I think they end up in the 7-9 win range. Their offensive line play has been bad all summer in practice & especially games. That needs to be corrected if they have any shot. Usually the line is a strength, so hopefully they make the necessary corrections and Mac isn’t running for his life back there.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
faldor wrote:

This is really weird to me.  They seemed to have a decent offensive system last year to ease in Mac Jones as a rookie starting QB.  I mean bludgeon teams with the run.  Then take deep shots with the outside WR on play action passes.  Then use both TE down the seams/middle of the field.  A lot of teams use this philosophy/system and it works.  Once Mac proves/gets conformatable add more onto the guy's plate etc.  Patricia who was a good DC is now calling the plays on offense?  This reminds me of when the Eagles gave their DC slot to the OL coach.  It would probably make more sense to have Judge call the plays since he has more experience on the offensive side of the ball.  Belicheck is the GOAT coach, so I guess you just have to wait and see. 

No idea what to think about the Ravens.  The only super difficult game on the first four is @GB.  The first 3 are pick em/winnable to me.

Board footer