You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: So GNR played Rock In Rio yesterday...

FlashFlood wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

I could only last a few seconds through each clip.

God bless him for trying his best, but he needs time off to recuperate.

Now more than ever they should lean on recorded work to keep them in the spotlight rather than endless nostalgia tours which destroy what is left of his vocal cords.

I’m sure he’d rather make hundreds of thousands to a million per show for showing up. And the thrill of playing.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Fat Axl simply doesn’t have the voice that Fat Elvis had. Of course, Fat Elvis was only in his 42 and Fat Axl is 60.

Don’t get me wrong, Axl still looks good with the extra weight…healthy and happy. The King wasn’t as fortunate.

I prefer FAxl lol

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I just had a quick peek at those vids. WTF?

I haven’t looked at any performances in a loooong time.

Has Axl cut his hair? Or has it just fallen out and that’s what he has left?

How much fucken filler does he have in his face? Jeebus!!!

He looks and sounded bloody terrible! Even worse than I remembered. I’m taking my son to see them in November (his first ever concert, since he’s only 12), but I’m worried it’s going to be shocking!!!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ That's how I felt watching the late 2021 shows we had....I started doubting if he'd even get to our tour or if they'd be forced to stop.

But I thought Rio wasn't as bad.

I mean his voice is clearly damaged these days, but he's getting better at mixing the mickey into spots where it's less intrusive. I noticed he did kinda yell a few of the lower ranged parts too - like in patience or something almost in the absurd voice...it makes me think he must be really struggling at this stage in a whole lot of his registers.

If you watch the whole broadcast there's some good stuff to go with the bad. Sound mix and band timing was much better than the previous Rio gig in 2017 or whenever it was. And slash's cover of Born on a Bad sign was pretty rad.

Also props to richard who pulled out some monster shred in KOHD...had his back to the camera unfortunately but it was a bit like WTF - i knew he could play fast but it's like he's getting better and better hahahahah.

Anyways, i find it hard, like the best they sounded since reunion was houston 2016 IMO, and everything post Ac/Dc tour has been a struggle vocally it seems, which is sort of tragic because they're capable of so much on a good day. But there's some light in the darkness for me, like everynow and then they do something pretty cool even if not up to the skills of the past. I really think more singles/albums is the key for me - as the vocals will have been recorded back in the day...and I think on a good day in the studio Axl could layer enough sound to get some anger going here and there.

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Wilco wrote:
Aussie wrote:

I just had a quick peek at those vids. WTF?

I haven’t looked at any performances in a loooong time.

Has Axl cut his hair? Or has it just fallen out and that’s what he has left?

How much fucken filler does he have in his face? Jeebus!!!

He looks and sounded bloody terrible! Even worse than I remembered. I’m taking my son to see them in November (his first ever concert, since he’s only 12), but I’m worried it’s going to be shocking!!!

He cut his hair short

Doesnt seem like fillers in actual photos

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

That's why I was so shocked by that YCBM clip. I so rarely listen/watch anything from the band.

People who follow along might be used it...but I'm not. There's a noticeable drop in quality from a few years ago.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:
James wrote:

That's why I was so shocked by that YCBM clip. I so rarely listen/watch anything from the band.

People who follow along might be used it...but I'm not. There's a noticeable drop in quality from a few years ago.

That was the first live footage I've bothered to watch since probably 2017 and yes, it lacked any spark whatsoever. I had no inclination to look for more. Regretably.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The clips aren’t as bad as I thought. He definitely sounds like a guy who lost his voice not long ago. The high voice seems to be his safe zone. It’s pretty flat. When he attempts to go to a rasp on YCBM and his normal NR voice his voice sounds like it’s giving out and he jumps back high again. I don’t ever remember him going high on NR like that before.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Let's be honest. He's sounded like shit for years now. Unless he's singing in a lower register or a normal singing voice. Dude lost it. It's a shame but it's true. If you enjoy it, I'm glad but it's almost reaching Vince Neil status. Maybe one more time around the sun and he should really hang em up before he loses the legacy he got back.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I actually think generally it works better for Vince's songs. Like motley is for the most part party music, so vince can be breathless and mumble but hit the right pitch and the general mood of the song survives even though you can't make out the actual words.

The issue with GNR is a lot of it is emotional/angry music where the tone of voice was really a part of setting the mood, so if Axl hits the pitch but in a mild mannered voice it changes the character of the song.

The sad bit is you can see he's trying his ass off. Like I suspect with his age and the sort of vocal damage he probably has he really shouldn't sing at all, should be unable to pull off anything close to the range of these songs, or get any grit left.

So I think the fact there's even a hint of rasp occasionally and that they're in the original key at this stage is the modern version of Axl being the musical monster he was in his youth.

That's my take on it anyway.

Like his voice sucks now compared to the past, but it's also been worse than this show (a few of the shows last year IMO), and the situation basically asks the impossible of him. Not saying it's great though cos I can hear the bits that are wrong just as bad as anyone.

But it is what it is at this stage.

Sadly I think sort of some type of medical marvel being invented I think the days of him coming out with blow-away UYI style vocals or even Ac/Dc 2016 style vocals are just gone. But you can still have a bit of fun at the shows, hopefully we get some UYI shows released proshot soon, and with any luck some more original recordings from before things got so dire too.

Board footer