You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Comparing Axl Rose to the greats

James wrote:

I wanted to resume this discussion we were starting at the temp site. Where does Ax truly fit in the history books when comparing him to people such as Lennon, McCartney, Robert Plant, Jim Morrison, Brian Wilson, etc.? Besides factoring in timeless legends, does Axl and his resume deserve to stand next to more modern artists such as Chris Cornell, James Hetfield, Eddie Vedder, Cobain,etc?

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

There really is no comparison.  Axl Rose, while a very talented musician, is not in the class of the timeless legends.  He holds up better against his peers, but even there Cobain, Reznor and others were far more influential.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

There really is no comparison.  Axl Rose, while a very talented musician, is not in the class of the timeless legends.  He holds up better against his peers, but even there Cobain, Reznor and others were far more influential.

Axl just has a much stricter quality control over what he releases, whether that is a good or bad thing remains to be seen ~ Chinese Democracy is the ultimate test, no wonder he is taking his time to get it right.

I won't get into a Cobain discussion but he was heavily influenced by people like Paul Westerberg, yet you don't see Pauls name popping up in the most-influential lists; and thats a fucking shame more than anything else sad

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah, I've never been into the Cobain/Axl discussions either. It usually gets ugly and winds up turning into an argument of grunge vs hair metal. I included him in my post because he is regarded by some as a genius.

Axl's small resume is really what bites him on the ass when comparing him to legends of our time, and "quality control" doesn't really help his case in my opinion. Other legends didn't worry about things like that.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I've always felt Cobain was overrated.  That said, he did influence a lot of people and Nevermind shaped a generation.  In some ways, it was the 90s version of AFD, though I prefer AFD to Nevermind and it isn't close.

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

I think that Kurt Cobain, while not as technically gifted as the others, certainly had the biggest impact on the music out of the others on the list, and everyone else in the early 90s.  Being a GNR fan, I feel that we tend to overstate Axl's influence and abilities as a musician.  Sure, he had his highs and certainly impacted the music scene in the late 80s, but being continually surrounded by controversy and striving for perfection may have limited or shattered whatever legendary status he could have potentially reached.

I am going to quote Russtcb from the alt site because I do agree with him

Before you continue on this Wilson V Rose tanget that you've created I'd like to you please remember (again) that art is opinion based.

Also..... I speak for myself when I say that I am in no way uneducated when it comes to Brian Wilson.

Furthermore, you made a comment on how Axl is a "joke" now. If we were to ask the current generation about Axl they'd say he was a joke.

Having said that..... you're telling me that if we were to do a comparative study on Brian Wilson it wouldn't be the same?

For example: go back in time and ask a giant 80s artist (who's long sing been forgotten) what they think about Brian Wilson..... You  know what their answer will be? ....... about the same as some giant from now (who will also be forgotten in 20 years) when asked about Axl Rose.

The difference? Brian Wilson and Axl Rose will be talked about years from now for things people that either do not make sense or people just don't understand YEARS from now and their contemporaries shant be.

How much more of a level playing field do these guys have to be on for you to get my point?

Axl Rose as much as Brian Wilson or anyone else that James mentioned in his first post will never be forgotten in years to come.   Just as Brian Wilson made his mark beit legendary status or not in ones eye, his talent will not make hime forgotten, niether will Axl Rose.   Yes Axl has alot of controversy surrounding his name as well but he will go down in history as being one of the greatest frontmen of all time whether you like his talent emensly or not, that's a fact.   His writing is not the only thing that makes him in the status of legendary IMO and it's not just because I am a fan, it's because his talent as a writer, performer, piano player and arranger of material in songs, etc is all that goes into his status.

bringbackadler
 Rep: -10 

Yo, what's going on ROVers ?

See that the site is finally back up. Cool !

// Removed by downliner.
// Please see board rule #6.
// No insulting other forums or administrators/moderators of other forums.
// http://chopaway.com/rov2/viewtopic.php?pid=659#p659

Anyway, enough slagging. Glad to see you guys are back.

On topic, I definitely think Axl deserves a place with the other legends in rock history, but I seriously think that he is disgracing the band name with what he is doing today.  mad

bba

Sky Dog wrote:

I think Axl stands up to all his contemporaries outside of maybe Reznor who has really picked it up in recent years. Axl did pretty much rule the roost for 6 years. Cornell, Vedder, even Cobain never did that. Cobain was right there for a short while but I don't think those guys had the worldwide impact that Axl and Gnr had.

Historically speaking, I put Axl in the Morrison, Plant, Daltrey, Tyler category....great rock star frontman but not at the songwriting level of Lennon/McCartney, Brian Wilson, Dylan, Hendrix, Jagger/Richards, Townsend, Roger Waters, Neil Young, Johnny Cash, The Boss, Prince etc....truly prolific songwriting monsters.

the people of the 80's through  today above Axl are Reznor, Thom Yorke/Johnny Greenwood from Radiohead, Jeff Tweedy from Wilco, Maynard/Adam Jones from Tool, Bono/Edge, Paul Westerberg from the Mats, etc

Again, it is not an insult to be inferior (at this point) to those guys. Of course, it is all opinion, but I am basing my opinion on influence, what other musicians think of these artists, industry respect, and popularity in general with the public.:butt:

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

I think that in all honesty, Axl can stand up against people like Cobain and Cornell.  Kurt Cobain was not the genius a lot of people make him out to be. 

I look around at all these new bands coming out, or all the kids at high school, and there are far more people wearing GNR shirts or citing GNR as an influence than they are any of the grunge bands.  That's from what i've seen so far, but that may be different down in more active places, i don't know.

Axl will be remembered in years to come, that's for sure.  He has everything it takes to be remembered, the writing talent, the musical, his composing ability, and of course, all his controversy. 

AFD has already gone down in the pages of history as one of the greatest (if not the greastest, depending on your source), rock album ever made.  Axl won't be forgotten for that reason.  And it's for that reason that he deserves his place alongside all the greats, Plant, Morrisson, Lennon etc.

Board footer