You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: UYI Box tracklist unveiled?

metallex78 wrote:
Blackstar wrote:

Interview with the guy from UMG who oversaw the production of the AFD and UYI box sets:

"Axl wanted to record a real orchestra on November Rain": Inside the new Guns N' Roses boxset

https://www.musicweek.com/labels/read/a … set/086990

That’s not news though. We know that November Rain has been remixed for this box set to include an actual orchestra, replacing the synth stuff he did back in 1991

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Blackstar wrote:

Interview with the guy from Universal who oversaw the production of the AFD and UYI box sets:
"Axl wanted to record a real orchestra on November Rain": Inside the new Guns N' Roses boxset

https://www.musicweek.com/labels/read/a … set/086990

That’s not news though. We know that November Rain has been remixed for this box set to include an actual orchestra, replacing the synth stuff he did back in 1991

That's just the title of the article.

There are some things in this PR interview that are interesting reading between the lines, e.g. about the live material.

Also there was discussion on here a few pages back about whether Axl had anything to do with the orchestra thing or he just signed off (or that even TB  signed off on his behalf), and the Universal guy claims it was done at Axl's request.

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:

He also says that the original synth orchestra wasn't erased, but the real orchestra was put on top of it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, it’s absolutely still there. I noticed it my first listen that they just added the orchestra on top of the synths

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:
James wrote:

Just finished watching the Ritz....

Wow. This is one of the greatest concerts ever released.

This is peak GNR....a travesty that this performance rotted in a vault for 31 years.  It's also the best GNR release since UYI.

One more thing....

This is how the album should've sounded. They tinkered with the tracks way too much. Listen to DC, Bad Obsession, Dust N Bones, DTJ, etc. here and then listen to the albums.

James... I couldn't figure out how to quote individually but after a third viewing I agree entirely - this is easily hands down the greatest GN'R live release we have had .. incredible

Previously bang-average tracks like Bad Obsession and Right next door to hell are completely transformed

I watched it again last night and Right Next Door to Hell was the standout. It never sounded better...live or studio.  They're firing on all cylinders here to the point where songs I previously considered filler sound mean/aggressive enough they wouldn't be out of place on AFD.

Pretty Tied Up is amazing too.

I noticed during Live and Let Die that he hasn't added those iconic screams to the song yet. Still a song in progress?

The setlist itself is almost as impressive as the performance! There's barely any AFD-Lies!  It's a reminder of how ballsy and confident they were at the time... having a majority of the set being unheard songs.

I also like the quirky placement of Jungle and PC in the set.

Am I missing something here? Is there a live version of Perfect Crime included in this set?

Edit. It’s in the UYI1 Deluxe. Dunno how I missed that

Yeah it was confusing when first having a listen. All of it should've been included in the main set.

I was surprised by Bad Apples inclusion...I had forgot. The main selling points of this set are NY and Vegas...your mind just skims over the rest.

Other than DTJ when they released it early, I still haven't listened to the Vegas show.

That's an interesting article Blackstar posted.

This is the first time in the 30-plus years these albums have been available that they’ve ever been remastered

This is a lie. Not sure why he said it. You can literally buy old remasters on discogs as we speak.

all of GN'R’s music catalogue masters are safe and sound in the UMG vault

This is great news.

The band’s request to focus on live material for UYI as the bonus material was spot on

I might have agreed with this if more had been released. UYI is one of the iconic releases of the decade. It deserved a box set similar in magnitude.

It didn't get one.

While the Ritz is a mind blower and one of the best GNR releases ever, if focusing only on live material, there should've been a few more shows. The random assortment of tracks on the album sets is lazy. We now know they had Rio, Wembley, and Paris ready to go. All of them should've been included.

Ritz
Vegas
Rio
Wembley
Paris

Now that's bang for the buck...and I doubt you'd see as much complaining about the price tag.

He's right....fans do like the new November Rain. The problem is that it sticks out like a sore thumb and is a reminder that we were supposed to get a full remix before it was vetoed at the last minute.

If excluding demos...a remix  should've been a priority.

About 13-14 years ago, I was asked to review and catalogue some GN'R video and film masters that were being moved from a third-party vault facility to our UMG vault

Interesting. I wonder why they were going through the vault at that specific timeframe?

Then for the two smaller format Deluxe Edition versions of the UYI albums, we try to keep these configurations to 2-CDs as a series, so with the two concerts in the boxsets being 2 CDs and 3 CDs respectively, a 2-CD set wouldn’t work when combined with each respective album’s need to be on CD 1. We had these other shows from Wembley, Paris and Brazil that were great but we already had two full shows to include in the boxsets, so we selected incredible live performances from each of the five shows to fill up CD 2 in each Deluxe Edition that corresponds with the songs on UYI I and II. Where we needed a bit more content to fill-up CD 2, we selected great cover songs that happened throughout the tour including guest performances from Steven Tyler and Joe Perry from Aerosmith and Lenny Kravitz.”

This is exactly why demos/alternate takes would have been perfect for the album set. You include demos for each album... instead it's an assortment of live tracks that feel like an afterthought (Sail Away Sweet Sister?).

The band are 100% involved on every detail. Their contribution to the project goes through all phases: research, development, mixing and mastering, artwork and marketing.

This is great news obviously....but it also makes the lack of demos even more frustrating.

I assume all three have to agree to something for it to get the green light.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Sail away sweet sister was an awesome intro to SCOM in Paris

Miguelox26
 Rep: 5 

Miguelox26 wrote:

They were never remastered before! Never!

Discogs you can put what you want! is a lie!

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

There is so much foreboding in this show. Axl, Slash and Duff out front and center while Izzy retreats to a corner on the stage every time after his backing vocals. I can see why the rest of them wanted him to have a lesser cut because of his stage presence. It looks really odd, like he doesn't want to be there. You can also see the circus show the UYI tour became just waiting to burst out.

This band was too good to continue. They made it so big you just had to ride the dragon. Stevie and Izzy couldn't/wouldn't handle that pressure, while the other 3 took it on like they were born for it. Nothing destroys like success.

Axl sounds rough at times but also really good. You can tell his voice is not in the same shape in 92/93. There is more dynamism, more subtlety here.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I’ve been listening to the live tracks for four days 16

Can’t believe how much more I like Bad Obsession without Teddy Zig Zag

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Miguelox26 wrote:

They were never remastered before! Never!

Discogs you can put what you want! is a lie!

This isn't an issue that's open to debate. They were remastered... several times...period.

OC02OTIxLmpwZWc.jpeg

That's the Mobile Fidelity remaster.

The reason nobody ever made a big deal out of these remasters is they didn't include any extras and they weren't promoted by anyone.

Board footer