You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Favorite TV Theme Songs

James wrote:

Alice

Taxi

That one really gets me emotionally.  Not even a big fan of the show but memories come flooding back.

Hill Street Blues

Just like with Taxi...not a big fan but that song is amazing.

Twilight Zone (1985)

Incredible. Chilling. I remember jumping behind the couch when I first saw this. Still kinda gives me the heebie-jeebies.

It's crazy how theme songs used to be so amazing that they would hit the pop charts.

James

James wrote:

How did I forget this?!? I've heard it probably at least a hundred times the past few weeks during my Newhart/Gomer marathons...

I also love this one...a really good snapshot of the late 80s.....

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Maybe not the best ones..but they are fun smile

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Favorite tv show ever:

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

If it's one show I can imagine was thought up on an acid trip it is "Alf". Had a lot of fun watching it when I was a kid.

I can't really think of any good theme songs. It's like none of them are made to be anything other than a memorable hook. Something like the Wire is not bad but it doesn't stand out either.

These are probably the best for me:

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

James

James wrote:

Great American Hero - That brings back memories of Texas. Summer 82. I don't remember how long the show lasted but I only watched it while we lived there.

I'll never forget those two great aunts(Mae and Corrina) who would come over every week or so. It was their favorite show yet they always called it All American Hero.

Facts of Life - Who didn't love this show...for awhile anyways. I think we stopped watching it regularly around season 3...maybe 4.

Growing Pains - Ugh. I like the theme though.

It's mind boggling that Dukes has been canceled. It's a kids show for fucks sake.

Quantum Leap - I got into this show in 92 when one of the local channels played it a couple times a day. I got burnt out quick. Now that I think about it, I don't think I ever watched the final episode. I'll have to look it up.

Moonlighting - Never really got into it. I should check it out.

polluxlm wrote:

If it's one show I can imagine was thought up on an acid trip it is "Alf". Had a lot of fun watching it when I was a kid.

Love the show but watching it as an adult makes you realize how it could have been so much better.

They couldn't decide whether to have things revolve around ALF and the boy(Brian) or ALF and Willie. They leaned more towards Willie...but should've went further.

I also wish they had focused more on the family dysfunction while an alien essentially runs the house and calls the shots.

They made it too kid-family oriented.

It just begs to be a dark comedy.

When I read about the show many years later, I was surprised the writers never attempted it. The crew controlling ALF and of course the voice actor would harass the other actors between takes and spew insults at them...and sexual shit towards the daughter.  Towards the end they all hated working on the set.

This show has the worst series finale in history.

James

James wrote:

A couple more...

Didn't really like the show but thats a great song.

Nostalgia fuel. Just like Facts of Life, a good show that declined after the first couple seasons.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
James wrote:

Love the show but watching it as an adult makes you realize how it could have been so much better.

They couldn't decide whether to have things revolve around ALF and the boy(Brian) or ALF and Willie. They leaned more towards Willie...but should've went further.

I also wish they had focused more on the family dysfunction while an alien essentially runs the house and calls the shots.

They made it too kid-family oriented.

It just begs to be a dark comedy.

When I read about the show many years later, I was surprised the writers never attempted it. The crew controlling ALF and of course the voice actor would harass the other actors between takes and spew insults at them...and sexual shit towards the daughter.  Towards the end they all hated working on the set.

This show has the worst series finale in history.

This analytical cultural side is something unique to Americans I think. Personally I love it when people delve into culture like that and I don't think I've ever seen it in Europe. Here it is just "I like that, I don't like that". You never hear stuff like "they utilized that character incorrectly" or "show went downhill in the third season". Of course it exists here, but it's a nerdy thing reserved for a small minority. In America I get the impression grandmothers can have these opinions.

James

James wrote:

Havent really watched movies the past few weeks....been watching an odd variety of 80s tv shows I haven't watched in 30+ years.

That is pure unfiltered cheese. I only watched 3 episodes before giving up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTTc8KpHsSg

Yikes. I actually liked this show when I was 10.

How was that a hit?

That actually wasn't the cringe fest I was expecting. It's not bad. It also really made me want to go back.

Absolutely ridiculous....but it has a wacky charm to it.

This show is forever tainted by the murder of Schaeffer in 89. It's the only thing you think about while watching it. I made it 4 episodes.

She's another big celebrity death. Should've made my list when we did that thread a couple years ago. Headed for stardom. It's the equivalent of killing Jennifer Love Hewitt in 96.

Before I'm dead, I'd love for someone to explain why this decade was a non-stop laid back escapism cheese fest. It was the entire culture...not just television. Its what makes the decade so unique and unlike any otber.

Board footer