You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Pink Floyd feud goes nuclear

polluxlm wrote:

David's wife sent out this nice little tweet and Gilmour later replied that he agreed with every word:

Roger Waters hit back with this:

Waters’s problem with the rest of Floyd, he says, was that they “can’t write”. “Well, Nick never pretended. But Gilmour and Rick [Wright, the keyboardist]? They can’t write songs, they’ve nothing to say. They are not artists!” He shouts the last two words. “They have no ideas, not a single one between them. They never have had, and that drives them crazy.”

Now Waters is planning to release a rival version of Pink Floyd’s most famous record, without Pink Floyd’s permission. I’m no copyright expert, but might there be some obstacles to that? Waters smiles: “I have no idea.”

Waters is adamant that Dark Side is his to muck about with however he sees fit. “I wrote The Dark Side of the Moon. Let’s get rid of all this ‘we’ c--p! Of course we were a band, there were four of us, we all contributed – but it’s my project and I wrote it. So… blah!”

‘You play the guitar and sing and do as you’re bloody well told’

WATERS ON GILMOUR

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

FUCK!!

Im not one of the fans that gets off on the Waters/Gilmour soap opera.

This just ruined the archive releases for the duration of their lifetimes (they're nearing 80).

A minor spat over liner notes caused a 4 year delay in the release of the Animals remix. It was finished in 2018.

This is literally worst case scenario for Floyd fans.

I hate how they act like children. People who get rich and famous young never grow up. It warps them somehow.

The fans cheering this on won't be cheering for long when they realize the releases dry up.

Unbelievable.

Once again...Waters will regret leaving Floyd. He reached that agreement back in the day that gave him rights to use The Wall...Dark Side was not included.

Expect years of litigation.

James

James wrote:

Been reading more about this and yeah....its bad.

The Gilmour side of the fence has went scorched earth on not only Pink Floyd...but also the fans.

I realize Waters is a very controversial figure...his stance on Ukraine pretty unconventional...but this isn't how to handle it.

It makes me wonder if something else happened behind the scenes that caused this.

This feud has went on too long...and is now more than likely the end of both camps talking to one another.

Gilmour has the upper hand in the battle. Not just because he owns the name, it's because he doesn't tour or do anything that can be negatively impacted by any potential backlash.

Waters is the one at risk in that regard. He has no plans of slowing down even though he's approaching 80.

He should've kept his mouth shut.

James

James wrote:

Any Queensryche fans here? Their situation very similar to Floyd....

During the feud....and this was more than likely inspired by the Floyd dynamic....Tate gave up the name as long as he retained rights to use Operation Mindcrime however he wanted to.

We're now in a world where literally nobody cares about Operation Mindcrime... and anyone younger than 40 doesn't even know what it is.  1718

The only album with any real value at this point.... Empire....can't be used by Tate....just like Waters with Dark Side.

I bet both Waters and Tate regret not going solo much earlier....or regret leaving their band in the first place.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I got great seats to see Waters 5 or 6 years ago. Only time I’ve ever walked out of a show. Half his time on stage was spent trashing Trump and Putin. I don’t care for either, but I didn’t pay $200 to get lectured to.

I’m much happier taking shrooms and going to the planetarium on Pink Floyd night.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I thought they had gotten over this stuff...weird

James

James wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I got great seats to see Waters 5 or 6 years ago. Only time I’ve ever walked out of a show. Half his time on stage was spent trashing Trump and Putin. I don’t care for either, but I didn’t pay $200 to get lectured to.

I’m much happier taking shrooms and going to the planetarium on Pink Floyd night.

Yeah...that was brutal.

I watched that show from 2015-16. During Pigs....one of my favorite songs...on the giant screen was "Trump is a pig".

Ridiculous. I don't need imagery of Trump during a show.

This is what celebrities in today's world don't understand. People go to shows, listen to music, etc to get away from this crap.

I kinda regret not going to see him though....but the lip syncing is a turn off. I can't support that.

I thought they had gotten over this stuff...weird

There's usually a brief thaw in their cold war...long enough to approve various releases. Last decade they actually agreed to support each other and appear at one another's solo shows. It didn't last long.

James

James wrote:

Was reading a bunch of Floyd stuff last night before bed.

While I remembered the near reunions of 1990 and 94 that Waters himself ruined, I didn't remember what happened after the Live 8 reunion.

Waters wanted to keep it going and tour Animals. Gilmour balked and that was the end of it. Of course Waters later said he could only handle the situation for that one show...not a tour.

The megalomaniac couldn't handle not being in control.

I am 1000% Team Waters but the guy just can't get out of his own way and sabotages his own career every step of the way.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I saw Roger Waters in Denmark in 2006. GN'R was there too so it was a pretty damn good festival. Show was amazing. He played Dark Side from front to back and almost all of Wish You Were Here. I can say this, he keeps giving the fans what Gilmour has refused to do since 1994.

He was less obvious about politics back then, but I remember one song "Leaving Beirut" which I thought was embarassing even as a 23 year old. That being said, the last decade or so has taught me how rare genuine artists have become. Axl, Slash they were genuine once, but now they are just empty shells, married to the establishment. Waters amazingly has kept the fire going throughout his life. I might not agree with a lot of his politics, and no doubt he can be an asshole, but he's not there to be my friend. As an artist he commands respect. I listened to his latest album which he made when he was 75 years old. It's pretty damn good. I can imagine if you put the whole Floyd into the mix that could have been an amazing Pink Floyd record. How many rockers can say this? If Axl made an album today it would be shit. Same with U2, Metallica and all of them. They're just old now, which is normal sure, but that just goes to show how special Waters is.

I always had sympathy for Gilmour. He seems like a nice guy and it must have been a strain to suffer the dominance of a man like Waters. But now he has not only lowered himself to Waters level, he has gone below it. Calling somebody a racist and a sexist when it is not really true is not something you do in todays climate. It's not just below the belt, it is potentially life shattering in terms of consequences for the victim. And on top of that his wife is the one delivering the blow, he's too cowardly to do it himself. It's all just really low and I lost alot of respect for him.

Waters is still Waters. Some good, some bad, but he is his own man. Gilmour has revealed himself as a pussy and a coward. He is sitting there like Pope David and refusing to do anything with Pink Floyd. Waters and Mason would have loved to do a tour, but Gilmour has an ego thing about Waters and Pink Floyd.

James

James wrote:

And on top of that his wife is the one delivering the blow, he's too cowardly to do it himself. It's all just really low and I lost alot of respect for him.

Agreed....but the problem on this aspect of the drama is Waters fired the first shots.

He started in on David-Polly in the 90s and 2000s... saying Gilmour is so untalented as a songwriter that he needs his wife to write lyrics.

It's a valid point....but did he really need to say it?

IMO one of the main problems with Gilmour...nice guy or not...is the fact he clearly didn't have the ambition to carry the weight of Pink Floyd on his shoulders.

I think he got off on having the power and control over the name....but had no clear vision or follow through (sound familiar?).

He seized control of Floyd in the era where albums were required for touring. There were no grand legacy acts back then.

Floyd did two tours in the post Waters era...and two thrown together albums that were really solo Gilmour albums.

Not a coincidence.

If he/they could have toured as Floyd with no albums, the final Floyd album would've been The Final Cut.

I agree that the image of "Saint Dave" is starting to show cracks.

Hell...it showed cracks during Live 8.

It's like...

Ok Rog...you get to come back for this...but you get no say in anything, not even the set list!

It shows how desperate Waters was...he was willing to go along with it to try to get back into the mix in some capacity.

Kinda sad... funny... ironic... because ten years earlier, Gilmour extended an olive branch for the Division Bell tour and Waters basically laughed it off and ignored it.

It was his last chance but his ego wouldn't allow him to see how critical it really was.

Speaking of final Pink Floyd albums...Waters should've been brought back briefly to add something to The Endless River. It begged for it.

I agree completely about Mason and Wright...they would've jumped at the opportunity for a real Pink Floyd at any moment. It's what makes the 1990 incident so pathetic. When Pink Floyd is willing to play with you at the crumbled Berlin Wall, you don't ignore that olive branch. The world may not have gotten anything more out of it than that one show....but what a show it could've been.

Board footer