You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: 2023 Tour Dates

polluxlm wrote:

Their setlist is actually fairly even on material. About 10 songs from the 80s, 10 from the 90s and 10 other songs. That surprised me.

But why do the worst song on AFD? They could do The Garden or Pretty Tied Up, You Ain't the First, Bad Obsession, so many more interesting choices.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Can’t make this stuff up: Duff’s wife just said on their SXM show they are going to be playing Anything Goes on the upcoming tour.

It's now official....they REALLY don't give a shit.

It also shows how out of touch they are with their own fan base....who are a mere click away.

Her 180 is impressive....the first person who was pushing info regarding the "band" working on new material for 6-7 years has now fallen in line with the bait and switch.

You want a new song? Oklahoma? The General? Soul Monster? Too bad...the new song is Anything Goes!

I take back my previous posts regarding a potential reunion 10-15 years ago and how that would've led to more new material.

It wouldn't.

The whole clan would seamlessly fit into the entire CD fiasco with no differences.

They're trolling and insulting our intelligence at the same time. Impressive.

My fandom is nearing the end of its rope.

polluxlm wrote:

But why do the worst song on AFD? They could do The Garden or Pretty Tied Up, You Ain't the First, Bad Obsession, so many more interesting choices.

They've been doing the AFD bait and switch for 20 years.....so why break precedent at this stage of the swindle?

Edit

I predict that along with Anything Goes, a new cover will be added to the set. Gotta keep adding covers every year to the set to prevent them from all collapsing onstage from boredom.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Are you sure she didn’t mean anything goes like “spontaneous” as opposed to the actual song ?

James

James wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Are you sure she didn’t mean anything goes like “spontaneous” as opposed to the actual song ?

Even if we give her/them the benefit of the doubt....it's still bullshit.

Remember...it's been anything goes for years. Both Duff and Fortus recently claimed GNR does not have a set list..and has never had a set list. The show is 10000% spontaneous.

It's just a bizarre coincidence that they play the exact same songs in the exact same fucking order year after year.... and the set lists fans have seen are merely a mirage.... nothing more.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
James wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Can’t make this stuff up: Duff’s wife just said on their SXM show they are going to be playing Anything Goes on the upcoming tour.

It also shows how out of touch they are with their own fan base....who are a mere click away.

Her 180 is impressive....the first person who was pushing info regarding the "band" working on new material for 6-7 years has now fallen in line with the bait and switch.

You want a new song? Oklahoma? The General? Soul Monster? Too bad...the new song is Anything Goes!

I take back my previous posts regarding a potential reunion 10-15 years ago and how that would've led to more new material.

It wouldn't.

The whole clan would seamlessly fit into the entire CD fiasco with no differences.

polluxlm wrote:

They've been doing the AFD bait and switch for 20 years.....so why break precedent at this stage of the swindle?

Edit

I predict that along with Anything Goes, a new cover will be added to the set. Gotta keep adding covers every year to the set to prevent them from all collapsing onstage from boredom.

Apparently Breakdown is in the alts as well. Though it probably won't be played at all, or will randomly pop up in the middle of the tour before being quickly abandoned like Locomotive & Dead Horse.

James

James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:
James wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

It wouldn't.

polluxlm wrote:

Edit

Apparently Breakdown is in the alts as well. Though it probably won't be played at all, or will randomly pop up in the middle of the tour before being quickly abandoned like Locomotive & Dead Horse.

The time to play...

Breakdown
Locomotive
Dead Horse
Yesterdays
The Garden
Etc

Was when they had a $500 box set to promote.

I agree....it probably won't be played just like other songs that rot on their list of alternates.

James

James wrote:

So we have material that we think is too advanced for old Guns fans to hear right now and they would completely hate, because we were exploring the use of computers [along with] everybody really playing their ass off and combining that, but trying to push the envelope a bit. It's like, "Hmm, I have to push the envelope a little too far. We'll wait on that.

- Axl Rose (1999)

That explains it. They have to keep busting out shit like Anything Goes because the material is simply too advanced for us to comprehend!

I never knew until now that my mind can't handle the use of computers in music or people playing their asses off.

I'm so glad to finally be set straight....and it makes the wait completely justified....

Edit

Imagine Roger Waters sitting on Dark Side of the Moon for 25 years because their Syd era fans might not " comprehend" it....so they wallow in Piper, Saucerful of Secrets, and Ummagumma instead.

This whole thing has been a con from day one.

He never genuinely wanted to move forward.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
James wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Even if we give her/them the benefit of the doubt....it's still bullshit.

Remember...it's been anything goes for years. Both Duff and Fortus recently claimed GNR does not have a set list..and has never had a set list. The show is 10000% spontaneous.

It's just a bizarre coincidence that they play the exact same songs in the exact same fucking order year after year.... and the set lists fans have seen are merely a mirage.... nothing more.

Oh the “spontaneous, no set list” trope is complete bullshit, absolutely. The last time played a spontaneous show was we 1991 I reckon

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

So we have material that we think is too advanced for old Guns fans to hear right now and they would completely hate, because we were exploring the use of computers [along with] everybody really playing their ass off and combining that, but trying to push the envelope a bit. It's like, "Hmm, I have to push the envelope a little too far. We'll wait on that.

- Axl Rose (1999)

In fairness he wasn't totally wrong about that.

In 2001 he played Silkworms and aside from a few of us forum hardcores, anyone who heard it in the general public seemed to loathe it as 'not guns and roses' or just 'shit' - at least I know the people I played it to did not react well. Hell - even for people into that kinda music it as challenging and noisy.

In 2018 Slash recorded the same track as a straight up led zep rocker and that makes it passable in the modern GNR setlist - but even when you see people talking about it they are praising the guitars not calling for pitmans old parts to be cranked up louder.

I think Axl was just ambitious to take things off in a sort of NiN and Mason style sound - but it wasn't a style that goes with his existing catalogue all that well, and in general while very popular its more of a niche market than main stream rock was in the 80s and 90s.

Like peak NIN fandom isn't a fraction of peak UYI era audience in terms of the general public. The kinds of people who go to shows and say "they played my song" when NR comes on just do not want an Axl synth album...even though people like us would dig it.

James

James wrote:

The problem with Silkworms is that it sucks.

It's not too advanced for my ears....Prodigy was doing it better in 1995.

He was chasing trends that were already starting to fade when his album was still in the demo stage and lacking lyrics/vocals.

It's not the fans fault that he couldn't get anything out in enough time to ride those trends where more people might give a shit.

He has an excuse for everything....and it's always aimed at anyone not named Axl Rose.

Axl was just ambitious to take things off in a sort of NiN and Mason style sound

I think part of the problem is that he wasn't ambitious enough.

He was a Jedi master of talking the talk. CD Whispers is loaded to the gills with it.

But when it came to walking the walk ...

Well...look at the discography post 93 for further details.

The kinds of people who go to shows and say "they played my song" when NR comes on just do not want an Axl synth album

He never gave them a chance to want it.

He played that song twice in a 20 year timeframe.....by 2021-22 it could've had the most epic Slash solo in history on it...no one would give a shit.

Board footer