You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

Re: 2023 Tour Dates

ClaudeF wrote:

U2’s reinvention/return to the classic style actually came in 2000 with “Beautiful Day” and an album full of hits like “Elevation” from the “Tomb Raider” movie. Fast forward two years and they give an emotional 9/11 tribute at their Super Bowl performance which many consider the best Super Bowl show ever.

An inner ear monitor recording of that “Think About You” rendition was circulating by the end of the 2002 tour. Axl sounds terrible on it. It probably felt like a fun throwback idea to him at the time, but in execution it frigging died on the vine.

Unless they do something imaginative like the AfD-in-full idea I threw out there as a Hail Mary Pass, they will be right back to 2002-levels of attendance at concerts: A few successes in big markets but otherwise curtains cordoning off whole sections of seating like I saw 21 years ago.

Bring on some new leaks to force the band’s hand.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I forgot Beautiful Day. I was trying to think of what song put them back on top in the 2000s...my mind went to Vertigo...not Beautiful Day.

Yeah that Superbowl performance was out of this world.

inner ear monitor recording of that “Think About You” rendition was circulating by the end of the 2002 tour. Axl sounds terrible on it.

Holy shit....I had forgotten about this.

The worst was the inner ear monitor mix of Riad. It's probably the same show as that.

Wasn't it Osaka?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I don't know what Roy Thomas Baker problem was when he told Axl he had no hits. I'm listening to the 98 mix of CD (song) and to me that's a fucking hit in 2000. The Blues is a hit. Catcher could be a hit. Those songs were ruined in production.

Oh My God was dumb thing to do. The only reason they put it on the soundtrack is because it has "God" in the title. It's a good song but definitely not a hit or something you want to promote. If Chinese Democracy is attached to a big movie you could have a smash hit on your hands. It's a kickass, no nonsense rock song with a modern feel to it and Axl sounds amazing on it.

So many mistakes and missed opportunities.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

In 1999 there were approached to put a song on the soundtrack for Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2. I wonder if OMG would have fit better in that movie. Music supervisor for the movie Bruce Berman confirmed it to MTV years back, but I think Metal Edge said it first in 1999

I do wonder what the instrumental thing Axl made sounds like, that "Daddy Can The Devil Do Mommy & Me" song I mean. How can you not use something by Axl yet deem the guy from Skinny Puppy's music worthy of your film?.

Wayback machine's a helpful tool

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

U2’s reinvention/return to the classic style actually came in 2000 with “Beautiful Day” and an album full of hits like “Elevation” from the “Tomb Raider” movie. Fast forward two years and they give an emotional 9/11 tribute at their Super Bowl performance which many consider the best Super Bowl show ever.

An inner ear monitor recording of that “Think About You” rendition was circulating by the end of the 2002 tour. Axl sounds terrible on it. It probably felt like a fun throwback idea to him at the time, but in execution it frigging died on the vine.

Unless they do something imaginative like the AfD-in-full idea I threw out there as a Hail Mary Pass, they will be right back to 2002-levels of attendance at concerts: A few successes in big markets but otherwise curtains cordoning off whole sections of seating like I saw 21 years ago.

Bring on some new leaks to force the band’s hand.

Axl and Slash will never be 2002 attendance levels. They can do amphitheaters with a representative opening act and be fine. Problem now is they are doing ballparks thinking they still have novelty. They don’t. They think the public sees them differently than Motley and that’s not true at this point. Motley is touring with Def Leppard to help pay the bills. Would this GnR ever share the loot like that? Ask Izzy.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

polluxlm wrote:

I don't know what Roy Thomas Baker problem was when he told Axl he had no hits. I'm listening to the 98 mix of CD (song) and to me that's a fucking hit in 2000. The Blues is a hit. Catcher could be a hit. Those songs were ruined in production.

Roy Thomas Baker telling Axl he didn't have any hits is arguably the reason for the whole fucking mess. Those tracks were perfectly good at the time, and the knock to Axl's confidence prompted the next few years of navel-gazing and self-doubt and reworking and over-production.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Roy Thomas Baker telling Axl he didn't have any hits is arguably the reason for the whole fucking mess. Those tracks were perfectly good at the time, and the knock to Axl's confidence prompted the next few years of navel-gazing and self-doubt and reworking and over-production.

We can only speculate on what was the tracklist presented to RTB as A listers at the time, however, if you look at the charts around the time (2000 to 2002) the most "rocky" things on top 10 charts were Nickelback, Santana feat. Rob Thomas, Train, Moby, U2, Creed and Blink 182. Even rock charts were dominated by Red Hot's "Other side" and Linkin Park's "In the end" that, albeit different, fall on the same structure.

All 3-4 minutes catchy poppy songs with light guitars (except for Linkin Park), almost zero solos (except for Santana and RHCP) and repetitive structures.

Of all the tracks we've heard, what would fit this mold?

Only ones I can think of are Perhaps and MAYBE Street of Dreams (the guitar intro version).

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

Street Of Dreams for sure. I'd forgotten how mediocre mainstream rock music was at that point. CD would truly have stood out amongst the crowd if it had been released around 2000/02

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

There's one point in the timeline where it might have happened....the spark to potentially ignite it anyways....

He really wanted the album out at this point in the timeline. It's finished...and the Village Sessions back this up.

The label should've just let him release the goddamn thing. It wouldn't have hurt anything. Its release would've opened up two possibilities....

1. It's a success...couple decent hits...decent album sales...and new GNR gets a run similar to Audioslave as we enter the 2000s. As we get closer to the end of the decade, he gets new GNR out of his system and is ready to move on(reunion).

2. Chinese Democracy is a huge bomb... briefly becomes a joke. People listen, laugh, and then move on. Axl moves on as well... opening the door to the obviously inevitable reunion.

The label benefits from either option.

Having said all that....if he truly wanted the record out in 2001.....why not go get an A list manager to negotiate its release?!?

Yeah, it had to be 2001 or at worst 2002.  They were riding high then. He had come out of the hermit cave and showed up for several shows (Vegas, RIO) and gotten back into the public eye.  He had enough of a cache built with the label that he could ride out the bomb/disappointment.  And there's enough interest there in the band/what he was doing.

He's basically his own worst enemy at that point.  And having a beggar on (Goldstein at that point) was counterproductive.  Because they wouldn't tell the truth to his face.  If you get it out also you don't blow those extra millions tinkering in the studio or whatever he did.  In retrospect, Niven leaving was one of the downfalls along with Izzy.  He just wasted a lot of YEARS doing nothing aside from the occasional  money grab tours.

OT but I've always felt that if they released If the World earlier like in 2001 or what and put it on a film, it would be a decent hit or get the public talking about them/him.  Body of Lies in 2008 or 2007 didn't really work because at that point the album and band were a joke.

Link31
 Rep: 1 

Link31 wrote:
James wrote:
Link31 wrote:

Did GN'R ever release the London 1991 live bonus material that was supposed to come out before the tour?

If you pay 50 bucks to join the GNR fan club, you get a disc with six songs from the London show.....and your surprise free gift is the Hardschool single.

Sure, but some like to share! smile Is it even out yet? If so, who would like to spread the joy?

Board footer