You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

slashsfro wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

It had been hyped nearly as much as CD itself. A couple of quotes from 00-02 period had it labelled a ‘big gun’ and I think it was likened by one person who heard/worked on it as November Rain meets Nightrain. It was generally assumed to be the best song in the vault. So when it dropped you can imagine tue anti-climax…

Yeah, that was definitely the problem. It got way overhyped.  Also it ended up being another one of those epic ballads which didn't really help.  There's not really a rocker aspect to that song which makes the Nightrain comparison disappointing.

kemmep
 Rep: 1 

kemmep wrote:

The general is, based on that cell phone clip, just a song like all the other Chinese Denocracy songs. Industrial guitar with some Axl helium '99 voice.

It's just "good" for us, hardcore fans, but will never be a hit for the mainstream like estranged, for example.

Sky Dog wrote:

axl

misterID wrote:

The funniest reaction was Dave who refused to believe it was Prostitute

Lol….I remember that!!!!!

The fish stories get crazier and crazier every year

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
sp1at wrote:

I hope the band get something out. It feels like this post CD era has gone on forever, and the clip does sound good.

I'd like to see them move on to something new

It has went on forever....it's now lasted longer than the classic run. If you place the current timeline on top of the classic timeline, we're currently in 1994.

Imagine 87-94 with two songs....

A Private Eye wrote:

I worry about the General. It’s been built up by the fan base so much over the years it’s never going to live up to it.

Prostitute pre 2008 vibes.

Definitely.

That situation taught me a lesson....I knew whatever was in the vault could not live up to the "earth shattering" and "mind blowing epics" hype.

So far it hasn't.... but that Oklahoma instrumental is bad ass....major potential...but shit vocals/lyrics could easily ruin it. There has to be a reason it didn't make the cut 15 years ago.

Soul Monster has some potential as well but again...has to be a reason these didn't make the cut.

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

I worry about the General. It’s been built up by the fan base so much over the years it’s never going to live up to it.

Were people disappointed  in Prostitute because they thought it wasn't a quality track or because they were expecting a sleazy rocker based off the title? I wasn't in the fandom at the time.

It's hype 20+ years ago was off the charts. Its description made it sound like it would be something like Slayer meets The Cure.

When the skwerl leak happened, it was obviously Prostitute and I knew why they were denying it.  It would deflate the myth of CD once and for all.

misterID wrote:

Everyone thought Prostitute was going to be the next Jungle. Same with Sorry. It was not, in fact, doom metal 16

I mocked Baz for that description as well... until hearing the Village Sessions demo. The original instrumental has a doom metal vibe.

Dani...and anyone else who just joined... welcome to the forum.  smile

Dani_1455
 Rep: 3 

Dani_1455 wrote:
James wrote:
sp1at wrote:

I hope the band get something out. It feels like this post CD era has gone on forever, and the clip does sound good.

I'd like to see them move on to something new

It has went on forever....it's now lasted longer than the classic run. If you place the current timeline on top of the classic timeline, we're currently in 1994.

Imagine 87-94 with two songs....

A Private Eye wrote:

Definitely.

That situation taught me a lesson....I knew whatever was in the vault could not live up to the "earth shattering" and "mind blowing epics" hype.

So far it hasn't.... but that Oklahoma instrumental is bad ass....major potential...but shit vocals/lyrics could easily ruin it. There has to be a reason it didn't make the cut 15 years ago.

Soul Monster has some potential as well but again...has to be a reason these didn't make the cut.

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Were people disappointed  in Prostitute because they thought it wasn't a quality track or because they were expecting a sleazy rocker based off the title? I wasn't in the fandom at the time.

It's hype 20+ years ago was off the charts. Its description made it sound like it would be something like Slayer meets The Cure.

When the skwerl leak happened, it was obviously Prostitute and I knew why they were denying it.  It would deflate the myth of CD once and for all.

misterID wrote:

Everyone thought Prostitute was going to be the next Jungle. Same with Sorry. It was not, in fact, doom metal 16

I mocked Baz for that description as well... until hearing the Village Sessions demo. The original instrumental has a doom metal vibe.

Dani...and anyone else who just joined... welcome to the forum.  smile

Thank you!
In my opinion, Axl always try to reserve potential good songs for future albums as he did with Don't Cry, November Rain.

I think Oklahoma could potentially be one of the best Guns N Roses songs, that instrumental seems perfect to me and very suitable to slash style.
Also Perhaps is not a bad song and could have replaced some songs from Chinese.
State of Grace with some work could have also entered in Chinese.
But I think the fact is when I listen to Chinese, the songs that completed the album are totally different from the ones that have been left, Oklahoma, State of Grace, Perhaps,  Soul Monster... This ones are kind of a different approach, something more complex or I don't know how to explain It correctly, that leads to a hype to hear The General or Seven or the ones that I mention before, because of they seem more epic.
I hope that I have explained myself!

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

The hype for Prostitute was insane. I remember it getting descrived as "fire and ice". It was the big gun that everyone was waiting to hear.

In the end, it was a good song. Some might say its great. But it had no chance of living up that hype.

The General will be the same. When/if we get to hear it, just go in hoping for a song that's good and you won't be disappointed.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Prostitute is just about the only track that lived up to the hype for me. Actually delivers on the promise that Axl’s vision spoke to

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Prostitute is just about the only track that lived up to the hype for me. Actually delivers on the promise that Axl’s vision spoke to

Axl's vision...

Do we have any idea what the vision really was?

Have we ever head from the man himself about it? Maybe on the 1999 MTV interview?

My opinion: we always heard  about his vision from people close but never essential to the project of rebuilding Guns N Roses.

None of the band mates, co-writers or producers have ever described the vision.

The alleged auto biography had me all pumped up because of my hope that he would finally clearly describe the vision he *had*.

jimmythegent

jimmythegent wrote:

I guess when I think of his vision I think of it  as bringing the classic Guns sounds into a new modern era.  He waited so long however , that the musical landscape had changed several times and by the time the damn thing came out, a lot of it sounded dated. It certainly had avant garde, experimental elements - it would have been cutting edge in about 1995.

Prostitute for me was the exception. It encapsulates all of those newer elements while still sounding timeless. Best song on the record for me.

jimmythegent

jimmythegent wrote:

Seeing on another forum that The General could be State of Grace or at least some portion of it. Have often wondered that myself . Wouldn’t be disappointed (other than the fact it would be nice to hear something we’ve not heard before) as I think it’s the bones at least of a strong track.

Board footer