You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

Scabbie wrote:

So if new music is to help promote a N/A tour, surely the window of opportunity is closing in on the band to release something?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Last time they did it a few shows into the tour.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

jimmythegent wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

GUNS N' ROSES: 'Worst Glastonbury Headline Set Of All Time'?
U.K.'s Independent calls GUNS N' ROSES' performance at Glastonbury "the worst Glastonbury headline set of all time" and refers to singer Axl Rose as the band's "fatal flaw." The reviewer, Mark Beaumont, writes: "Rose makes the whole thing sound like a Muppet Show pastiche of hard rock. It's his voice: a creature that, were you to take it to a vet, would come home in a cardboard box."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/watch-dav … B6DzTL5eqo

I'm still gonna see them on August 18th, but the author isn't wrong and anyone who's watched the band since 2016 knows this to be true. Slither beyond every other song needs to be dropped.  He can't sing it.  It sounds bad, and there are other songs he can do.

My god that review is brutal but hilarious in a way only the British press can be

The writer is ex-NME, so it tracks. It's staffed by insecure indie kids who can't bear seeing someone enjoy music they don't like. They're incapable of celebrating music; they only know how to draw up dividing lines between in-groups and out-groups, and sit there in their little adolescent clique sneering at the designated pariahs.

I danced a fucking jig when the last issue of that rag was printed.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Sky Dog wrote:

We have to get over the voice thing…..don’t go to the show. Bono sounds like shit now too. They are old! I read an interview with Maynard from Tool. He said he just can’t do some of their older material because it is too physical.

There is nothing wrong with being a nostalgia act when you are 60 years old.

I disagree with this.  Axl doesn't sound like shit, he just sounds like shit when he attempts to sing at a higher register.  Slither and YCMB being the best examples of this.  This is going to be my 10th or 11th show, so I'm certainly not going to these shows to nitpick and not have a good time.  That doesn't mean there's not an expectation to put their best foot forward.  If Slash couldn't play the guitar anymore, no one would be saying "Slash in his 60s, of course he's not going to be able to play the solo in SCOM like he was 25.  Arthritis is real and the calcium deposits on his joints make it harder to move his fingers as fast."

Yes, Axl is in his 60s and he's not going to sound like he did in his 20s.  That doesn't mean that as a professional performers they are deaf to the reality Axl sounds comical when he does that mickey mouse voice.  I'm not a fan of Tool, but if Maynard is saying he can't perform certain songs because it's out of his abilities, why is it wrong to pose on a message board why Axl can't do the same?

These are professional musicians.  They can play in a lower key and slow the tempo to accommodate their singer.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

Perhaps has been sounchecked again at the glasgow show. its been recorded by a few people who will upload later. Solo is different

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

We have to get over the voice thing…..don’t go to the show. Bono sounds like shit now too. They are old! I read an interview with Maynard from Tool. He said he just can’t do some of their older material because it is too physical.

Other than commenting on the quality of the show occasionally the literal handful of times I've checked... usually CD or Absurd/Hard School....I don't give a fuck about the live show.

2017 was my last GNR concert....unless some monumental event occurs which would change my mind (unlikely).

The only thing I care about...and it's been this way for eons....is new material.

There is nothing wrong with being a nostalgia act when you are 60 years old

Then own it!

Stop with the dangling of a carrot to keep what's left of the hardcore base interested.

They want to have it both ways....and it's been like this since the 2000s. The whole thing has been bait and switch since Slash left the band...and it continued when he came back.

Another question comes to mind: Could/should GNR consider a Sphere residency?

No.

They have nothing interesting in their discography like an Achtung Baby/Zooropa/Zoo TV concept or The Wall/Dark Side of the Moon that could be mind blowing in such an environment.

They have a few albums filled with random songs....and 99.9% of their artwork consists of boring skulls/skeletons.

Who wants to pay $600-$1200 to hear Jungle while 3  skeletons dance on a giant screen?

So if new music is to help promote a N/A tour, surely the window of opportunity is closing in on the band to release something?

If we don't get something in 4-6 weeks, we're probably not getting it.

They're probably waiting to see if US tickets start selling with no promo. If they do, they'll shit can the release.

Our only hope for new songs is empty stadiums.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

No.

They have nothing interesting in their discography like a Achtung Baby/Zooropa/Zoo TV concept or The Wall/Dark Side of the Moon that could be mind blowing in such an environment.

They have a few albums filled with random songs....and 99.9% of their artwork consists of boring skulls/skeletons.

Who wants to pay $600-$1200 to hear Jungle while 3  skeletons dance on a giant screen?

There's really no interest (to me anyway) outside of one show or two in a regular venue.  The lack of content where they could rotate albums or do anything creative hurts them big time.

James wrote:

If we don't get something in 4-6 weeks, we're probably not getting it.

They're probably waiting to see if US tickets start selling with no promo. If they do, they'll shit can the release.

Our only hope for new songs is empty stadiums.

If there is anything that categorizes this "era" of GNR, it's that they value touring revenue above everything.  They see the writing on the wall.   I'll be optimistic here and say they release something to get more asses into those stadiums.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Two separate friends sent me this today:  https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8e8hYJC/

Sky Dog wrote:

I know…it’s painful. They are coming to Atlanta and I may not go…probably won’t. I last saw them in 2016 and would be content remembering them like that. I also saw 7 UYI shows so I have accepted the fact that those days are long gone.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

https://youtu.be/Ys7Pj1muBek
Perhaps souncheck from today

Board footer