You are not logged in. Please register or login.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

sp1at wrote:

It's interesting, it's easy to believe it's a misquote, and he is meaning CD, not AFD.

However, there should be more than 29 demos for CD, tracklist is 14, not 11.

I'll have a dig next week and see if there are missing demos for afd. It's interesting if nothing else.

Dani_1455
 Rep: 3 

Dani_1455 wrote:
sp1at wrote:

It's interesting, it's easy to believe it's a misquote, and he is meaning CD, not AFD.

However, there should be more than 29 demos for CD, tracklist is 14, not 11.

I'll have a dig next week and see if there are missing demos for afd. It's interesting if nothing else.

Thanks Sp1at!

For sure there are more demos than 29, but I think he is talking about finished songs and he said an accurate number, he could have said around 30 but he pointed that there were 29 so that's a good indicator of left songs ready to be released I think

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

Vale wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

99 Times was one of the songs I was looking forward to on Snakepit 2. They debuted it live first, and I remember hearing crappy live mp3 recordings of it, and it sounded promising.

It was disappointing that it didn’t end up on Ain’t Life Grand. But I think it was actually morphed into the SMKC song Stone Blind, on World On Fire.

Havent listened to SMKC for a while but i just checked and your clearly right. Hmmm wonder if I could salvage Rod Jacksons vocals and put them on there. The song seems quite different to the Snakepit one but it's clear from the intro what it used to be.

That's the very first I hear of '99 Times'. Is it on YouTube somewhere?

I dont think so. Was going to PM you this but i'll leave it here incase anyone else wants a listen. They never recorded it apperently, i only ever heard this boot which i tried to boost and improve a bit a while back. It looks like it became that SMCK song but I much prefer Rod Jacksons voice
https://www.sendspace.com/file/60jtb3

There are others like Dry Jack but i dont have them laying around. They may have become SMCK tunes as well

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:
misterID wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

I firmly believe the only gems left in the vault will come from the Chinese sessions.

Oklahoma/Berlin sounds fantastic. Either D-Tune or Curly Shuffle gotta be Seven. Soul Monster is supposed to have a Stevie Ray Vaughan type of solo, which I don’t hear on Me and my Elvis.

Edit, got to add neither Scraped, The General or This I Love were on the locker leaks, so there could be others we haven’t heard

Axl never said Soul Monster was the song with the Stevie Ray Vaughan solo, they were two completely separate comments that got conflated for some reason.

Which one did he say was their most Sabbath song? D-Tune and Curley’s Shuffle seem completely fleshed out like Oklahoma/Berlin, Zodiac and Quick Song and are just waiting for vocals. They’re not just instrumental ideas like the others

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
misterID wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:
misterID wrote:

Oklahoma/Berlin sounds fantastic. Either D-Tune or Curly Shuffle gotta be Seven. Soul Monster is supposed to have a Stevie Ray Vaughan type of solo, which I don’t hear on Me and my Elvis.

Edit, got to add neither Scraped, The General or This I Love were on the locker leaks, so there could be others we haven’t heard

Axl never said Soul Monster was the song with the Stevie Ray Vaughan solo, they were two completely separate comments that got conflated for some reason.

Which one did he say was their most Sabbath song? D-Tune and Curley’s Shuffle seem completely fleshed out like Oklahoma/Berlin, Zodiac and Quick Song and are just waiting for vocals. They’re not just instrumental ideas like the others

Soul Monster.

His Soul Monster comment from the chats: "The bridge in "Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul aka The Soul Monster (working title Leave Me Alone)" which will no doubt end up "Soul Monster".

I think it's our most Black Sabbath moment. Sang it on a Christmas eve. Imo the meanest section of anything I've sung to date. Which having said that I'm sure when it's heard others may disagree but we felt it was a Christmas card of unadulterated venom so to speak. I felt a lot better afterward."

His Robin solo comment from the Del interview:
"You got that? What I can say is if you don't like this, then you probably won't like that. Same people, lots more approaches, bit meaner in places and darker in some. Robin does a really great Stevie Ray Vaughan-type solo on one track."

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
James wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

Song wise I think the only thing of worth left over from thoses days that we need in actual decent quality is a version of Ain't Goin Down with vocals. I think Axl said himself they wanted to "put it all out". I find Mayhues claims about multiple AFD era songs left over unlikely. I suspect he mispoke and meant Chinese era songs

One song I remember....

Nightcrawler

Only got a couple mentions back in the day and was of course absent from speculated tracklists in the lead up to UYI.

Nightcrawler turned into Speed Parade by Snakepit according to Canter, also Slash said years back that Ain't Life Grand was a meant to be a GN'R tune called Burnout but Adler couldnt play it.

I forgot about Nightcrawler turning into that song.

Still....it has to exist in some form in the AFD vault.

We spent time with Manny Charlton from Nazareth. He came over because we were thinking bout having him produce the record. We were in the studio for two and a half days and we did everything live. We recorded 25 or 30 tunes. We never did anything with that album but we have the masters to it. It's something where we'll go back and pick through it. A lot of the stuff that comes out when your just jamming as a band is the best.

Wow...had forgotten about the whole GNR-Nazareth thing back then. You'd think fans would've made a bigger deal out of this.

I agree he was likely talking about the Chinese vault's finished songs but it's obvious that the AFD vault isn't as empty as we thought.

Hell...they may not even have all of this stuff. It's not like they were safeguarding the legacy for decades.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

Consider this:

Led Zeppelin’s first album came out on January 12, 1969. Its last album, Coda, came out November 19, 1982.

A span of 5,069 days.

Chinese Democracy came out November 23, 2008. As of today, July 24, 2023 that is 5,356 since ago.

Led Zeppelin’s entire career occurred in the time since we got the last GNR studio alnumz

You can also fit the original Buckingham-Nicks Fleetwood Mac run into that time.

In about a year you can fit Waters era Floyd into it.

You can fit The Beatles career into the GNR reunion timeline.

The Doors too.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:
misterID wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Soul Monster.

His Soul Monster comment from the chats: "The bridge in "Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul aka The Soul Monster (working title Leave Me Alone)" which will no doubt end up "Soul Monster".

I think it's our most Black Sabbath moment. Sang it on a Christmas eve. Imo the meanest section of anything I've sung to date. Which having said that I'm sure when it's heard others may disagree but we felt it was a Christmas card of unadulterated venom so to speak. I felt a lot better afterward."

His Robin solo comment from the Del interview:
"You got that? What I can say is if you don't like this, then you probably won't like that. Same people, lots more approaches, bit meaner in places and darker in some. Robin does a really great Stevie Ray Vaughan-type solo on one track."

Thank you

That SRV bit does sound like Curly Shuffle. Me and my Elvis didn’t strike me as Sabbath, could have changed, but thought one of the Bucket instrumentals fit that

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
Vale wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

Havent listened to SMKC for a while but i just checked and your clearly right. Hmmm wonder if I could salvage Rod Jacksons vocals and put them on there. The song seems quite different to the Snakepit one but it's clear from the intro what it used to be.

I dont think so. Was going to PM you this but i'll leave it here incase anyone else wants a listen. They never recorded it apperently, i only ever heard this boot which i tried to boost and improve a bit a while back. It looks like it became that SMCK song but I much prefer Rod Jacksons voice

There are others like Dry Jack but i dont have them laying around. They may have become SMCK tunes as well

Thanks for the link. I had that recording years ago, so it’s nice to hear it again. Love the solo Slash played in 99 Times. Shame he didn’t play it like that for Stone Blind.

Dry Jack is another one I remember from that time played live as well.

The live version of Back to the Moment was killer too. It sounds a bit dull on the album, but when they played it live before the album came out, it sounded great. I think it’s one of Slash’s best guitar melodies since Estranged.

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
Vale wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

Thank you so much! Does indeed sound much superior to what Myles made out of the song!.

I had a look on setlist.fm. Looks like other unreleased songs are Dry Jack, like you mentioned, as well as Holiday Smile (played only once), I Left My Soul, Break You, and Sorry I'm Wrong

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/slas … id=3d129f3

Quite surprising. Would be interesting to hear them and see what else they might have become..

Board footer