You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Perhaps (2023) to Drop

James wrote:

Think up six great ideas. Start the first with a fury, transition to the second in a moment of inspiration but fail to follow through on the first, then another and another..so many great ideas but all lacking structure and the requisite blood, sweat, and tears needed to finish them.

It's because it was never treated by anyone... including Axl...as a proper album.

Imagine Roger Waters or Chris Cornell using such an approach. They would probably have similar results. It isn't natural to start something like that, never go to the studio for months and years, and then restart everything. Then the next time you restart, one or two guys are gone and you gotta squeeze in new people into the mess you've created.

The whole thing was bat shit crazy...it was worthy of a documentary.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

It's not complicated.

If you're naturally talented, you can get away with bad habits until you get older, the competition gets better, the money dries up, and/or you have an injury. Every industry relies on endless churn. You're Elvis? So what, we have The Beatles now. And so on down the line.

I recently heard that artists should "think like artists, work like accountants".

Axl still to this day has never developed this skill.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

James wrote:

Think up six great ideas. Start the first with a fury, transition to the second in a moment of inspiration but fail to follow through on the first, then another and another..so many great ideas but all lacking structure and the requisite blood, sweat, and tears needed to finish them.

It's because it was never treated by anyone... including Axl...as a proper album.

Imagine Roger Waters or Chris Cornell using such an approach. They would probably have similar results. It isn't natural to start something like that, never go to the studio for months and years, and then restart everything. Then the next time you restart, one or two guys are gone and you gotta squeeze in new people into the mess you've created.

The whole thing was bat shit crazy...it was worthy of a documentary.

I totally forgot about this part of his life but he has said in the past that he has bipolar disorder. If this diagnosis is true, it could explain some of the actions/decisions/disappearances. If he was going through a manic episode, he would experience intense periods of physical and creative energy: it could motivate him to write, compose, perform, promise, overpromise, engage in self-indulgent behavior …..but eventually the depression takes over and he would recede inside himself.

The frequency of manic episodes depends on stress, effectiveness of medication, lifestyle…..but i’ve seen mania rest it’s ugly head once every 2 to 2.5 years.

From 1997-2012 or so, Axl’s behavior most definitely could be described as periodic, cyclical with periods of time in which he was neither in the public eye nor interacting with the band. Then suddenly there is a return to the public eye, promises of songs, an album,  a tour…..

Hard to say exactly if he was in stages of mania during periods of the CD years but I surely bet depression affected the project.

James

James wrote:

It would certainly help explain the 2002 fiasco.

He was not ready for a comeback.

Remember how it went from "the tracks are sequenced, the cover art is ready" to "soon isn't the word" in the blink of an eye?

Plus he left the band stranded in Philly.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:

It would certainly help explain the 2002 fiasco.

He was not ready for a comeback.

Remember how it went from "the tracks are sequenced, the cover art is ready" to "soon isn't the word" in the blink of an eye?

Plus he left the band stranded in Philly.

I remember hearing about the 2002 tour being canceled on WAAF in Boston. I was stunned. They had done the VMA’s, sold out MSG and put top notch shows on tape like Albany and Boston. I feel like we don’t talk about this as a community enough.

Sky Dog wrote:

Axl was the issue…way way to insecure with himself as he was fighting everything at the time…think about it…songs weren’t good enough…you need Slash….etc. the tight cornrows in 2016 were confident. 2002 the look wasn’t our boy.

You look back and hear the locker tapes now and can’t believe how all that great material wasn’t used at the beginning.

We have to stop looking at the past because the current band has. They don’t care who wrote what…they are at least trying now and they are all in regardless of who played on which song.

James

James wrote:

Anyone still have that Boston radio ad with the CD snippets? We drooled over that for years.

This is when the album really should've come out....it's the brief period where he actually wanted it released...and that lineup deserved it.

22 years later and that is still the best version of the title track... including studio versions.

Fucking awesome...and there's an alternate timeline where Oklahoma is being performed instead of this. Crazy.

Better than its eventually released version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfhkGlcPG54

Sky Dog wrote:

Sorry meant cornrows in 2006 we’re confident.

That Silkworms blows away Absurd….quicker and to the point…

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

Yep. The 2001 version of New Gn'R has cult favorite written all over them.

The underground club band slowly slithering up the streets near you.

James

James wrote:

Something else I love about 2001-02 and it's rarely ever brought up anymore....

The artwork

artworks-000055574969-2ppq4z-t500x500.jpg

u-g-F11JFJ0.jpg?w=550&h=550&p=0

999x1000.jpg?1600345879

convert?rotate=exif&format=jpg&quality=90&fit=max&w=1400&h=1400

The world really missed out on something special.

Board footer