You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

Re: The General and Monsters

carlossacanell wrote:

I think there is a lack of creativity by Axl at the moment. The powerful bullets were used un CD and now... I want to have ALL, leftovers included. But a new material álbum i hope It would be more creative and had better songs.
The combination of the three, add Izzy contributions and there we'll find the Big guns and the Magic

I want them too but I want everything lol. All versions of all songs. I mean if you line up the cell clip with that Monsters leak the differences are huge. There are structure changes and along with the guitars being different parts like the drum roll before the heavy section have been removed completely.

carlossacanell
 Rep: 1 

Shacklermyrye wrote:
carlossacanell wrote:

But if they are different and separated songs, are they going to release both? The vynil had a B side and was for the general. Then i understood the general was renamed as the general and Monsters and now two different songs...?

I think the real response at the moment is we don't know for certain.

They both have Beltrami work on from the tour intro (that we do know). That could mean they were once one song that has now been split into two, or it could also mean they were always two songs and that they just combined the strings to play as an intro to those gigs back in the day. Now obviously when asked years back what that intro was they said it was The General, they never mentioned Monsters so that would maybe suggest the song was later split after all.

The credits have it registered as The General And Monsters which would imply that they are one song though, but then the 7" is advertised as having The General as a B-Side with no mention of Monsters at all.

So who knows for sure? It's all conflicting hints.

I still would not be surprised if when this 7" appears it doesn't have Monsters on at all. Like I said it's not advertised.

I said this the other day but I think the things the fanbase thought they knew for sure (eg. Me and my Elvis being Soulmonster) actually aren't sure at all.

Agree. We'll see soon

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:
James wrote:

Where in the hell is Claude? Dude was ready to sell his soul for The General and Soul Monster and now he's nowhere to be found.

BigBri really needs to come back.

Who else out of our main cast is missing?

Pasnow is another.

Axlin16/20 and didn't D used to post here too?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I’ll be very surprised if Slash isn’t on Monsters.

*edit: Monsters has the kind of Slash guitar I’d like to see on Atlas btw

I don’t think it’s one song but I definitely think they were meant to play back to back on an album. I really wouldn’t be surprised if there isn’t a missing intro. General just starts and ends, and with the amount of strings written for it I find it odd how so little of it features

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
carlossacanell wrote:

I think there is a lack of creativity by Axl at the moment. The powerful bullets were used un CD and now... I want to have ALL, leftovers included. But a new material álbum i hope It would be more creative and had better songs.
The combination of the three, add Izzy contributions and there we'll find the Big guns and the Magic

I want them too but I want everything lol. All versions of all songs. I mean if you line up the cell clip with that Monsters leak the differences are huge. There are structure changes and along with the guitars being different parts like the drum roll before the heavy section have been removed completely.

yeah I remember hearing back in the day the general had some crazy brain drumming on it, none of that is here, its all been removed.

I really want to hear that 2002 version of these songs.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Dude, General has some fantastic drumming

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

Goin down is just a gorilla village head left over
Its a good tommy solo song but not a good GNR song

It reminds me of the discussion back then how fans speculated there might be an Axl/GNR song on VGH.

Little did we know....there could've/should've been.

It shows how out of wack that 2004-5 period really was. During his promo before and after its release, he never even mentioned those two songs.

I said this the other day but I think the things the fanbase thought they knew for sure (eg. Me and my Elvis being Soulmonster) actually aren't sure at all.

Absolutely.

The fan base was never kept in the loop. We were looked down on with contempt by GNR management and they frowned on anyone giving us updates.

Hell...Frank is too scared to even mention a fucking song!

We depend on old archived quotes that clearly have varying degrees of reliability.

Axl himself hasn't commented on this stuff in about 12-13 years.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:

it has good drumming but when I think of crazy brain drumming I expected more lol

Russy1980
 Rep: 0 

Russy1980 wrote:

A new member here, I'd love a link to the two songs please. Love anything CD related

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Anyone have a link, still haven't heard it yet?

And is the consensus that The General is an older version?

Board footer