You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: The General and Monsters

FlashFlood wrote:

Coming up on 15 years since cd dropped…let that sink in.

jimmythegent wrote:

Coming round to the idea that it is Slash and Duff on Monsters

The General, I’m convinced that is Finck etc

What makes you come around to it being Slash and not Robin on Monsters? I think the Monsters solo towards the end is Robin. Sounds like Street Of Dreams and other Chinese solos. Do you hear that in Monsters?

I agree that Robin Finck is The General. The solo towards the end of The General is classic Robin Finck!

It would help if a source would throw us a bone and confirms who does the solos on these demos.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
James wrote:
misterID wrote:

It could have been that they were always meant to bleed into each other. Those orchestrations were really long and intricate

Everyone forgets the interludes... probably because it was only mentioned once.

Both these songs may have initially had an interlude sandwiched between them.

James wrote:
wagszilla wrote:

James refresh my mind on the interludes thing.

I just looked it up and it's not in CD Whispers. Fuck.

It was probably a Stinson and/or Fortus email in 2005 and obviously all those types of things weren't archived. The majority of CD Whispers is articles/interviews.

You mean this?

"I recorded a little bitty thing [for CD] last week, for like a, sort of a quick little interlude to another song." (Tommy, Rhinocast, 01/16/06)

Saboteur
 Rep: 4 

Saboteur wrote:

It's Slash on both tracks

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
monsterscantkillme wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

What makes you come around to it being Slash and not Robin on Monsters? I think the Monsters solo towards the end is Robin. Sounds like Street Of Dreams and other Chinese solos. Do you hear that in Monsters?

I agree that Robin Finck is The General. The solo towards the end of The General is classic Robin Finck!

It would help if a source would throw us a bone and confirms who does the solos on these demos.

You could be right … there are some very sort of cliched sounding Slash licks on Monsters but it could be imitation. I’m more inclined to think it’s Slash present day - not particularly inspired or inspiring .

That said the songs are pretty good - definitely growers

Both of them need stronger endings - they just sort of end abruptly and out sort of end with a whimper

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

I like that at 2.50 in The General there is clearly the sound of sampled frog's ribbiting behind the strings part and nobody at all has brought it up lol

jimmythegent wrote:
monsterscantkillme wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

You could be right … there are some very sort of cliched sounding Slash licks on Monsters but it could be imitation. I’m more inclined to think it’s Slash present day - not particularly inspired or inspiring .

That said the songs are pretty good - definitely growers

Both of them need stronger endings - they just sort of end abruptly and out sort of end with a whimper

I keep hearing Robin on Monsters. I've heard all of Slash Appetite/Illusions stuff. I don't hear Slash. The Guns N Roses Slash sound isn't resonating for me on these demos. And the demos themselves feel like nugnr demos from the 2000's era. It doesn't sound like stuff that is recent. You would think AXL would have recent songs kept under lock and key with the tightest security. But with nugnr demos like The General and Monsters there isn't the same security. It's a possibility The General and Monsters are demos the hoarders have been holding onto for a very long time and with the vinyl delay issue they thought this was the perfect time to drop them. That's my theory.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

I like that at 2.50 in The General there is clearly the sound of sampled frog's ribbiting behind the strings part and nobody at all has brought it up lol

The instrumentals and the isolated vocal track are very interesting to listen to. Definitely fits the motif of layer pressed upon layer of synth/vox and etc.

wagszilla
 Rep: 3 

wagszilla wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

You mean this?

"I recorded a little bitty thing [for CD] last week, for like a, sort of a quick little interlude to another song." (Tommy, Rhinocast, 01/16/06)

Apex dropping the knowledge, as always.

I'm skeptical about the interludes thing for the obvious reason - we never heard them. The other reason is the basic math of 12 songs x 5 minutes = ~60 minutes for your baseline album. An interlude heavy, seamless playback version of the album was probably out of fashion by 2002 and probably would incur additional production cost piecing it all together. The closest thing we have to this concept is the CD intro. The record company would have incentive for maximum song choice to throw everything at the wall in hopes it hits.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

wagszilla wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

You mean this?

Apex dropping the knowledge, as always.

I'm skeptical about the interludes thing for the obvious reason - we never heard them. The other reason is the basic math of 12 songs x 5 minutes = ~60 minutes for your baseline album. An interlude heavy, seamless playback version of the album was probably out of fashion by 2002 and probably would incur additional production cost piecing it all together. The closest thing we have to this concept is the CD intro. The record company would have incentive for maximum song choice to throw everything at the wall in hopes it hits.

Could make sense if the thing really was meant to be a double album. But as a single album we were never gonna hear that stuff. Still interesting to know they did do stuff like that, I think there is way more recorded than we know.

Board footer