You are not logged in. Please register or login.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

Re: The General and Monsters

dave-gnfnr wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I'm not hearing anything out of tune. At the VMA's Axl was out of breath. His voice may have been lacking rasp at the time, but I'd say he was at his most powerful then. The 2001 Jungle scream is unmatched. The voice on The General sounds great and the effects add to it. I love it.

I kinda like Scraped. The intro voice is pretty meh, but the rest is better than most on CD. He's being raspy and that's far and between on that album. But my favorite part of Scraped is the solo.

Yes, we def have different ears lol But I respect your opinion.  I will probably like the general vocals more with a proper vocal mix, that is my biggest issue with it.  I think the music on it is great. The lyrics are pretty dark and hard to get into a song about abuse, its not something I would listen to to enjoy if that makes sense.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
axlroselocke1 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I'm not hearing anything out of tune. At the VMA's Axl was out of breath. His voice may have been lacking rasp at the time, but I'd say he was at his most powerful then. The 2001 Jungle scream is unmatched. The voice on The General sounds great and the effects add to it. I love it.

I kinda like Scraped. The intro voice is pretty meh, but the rest is better than most on CD. He's being raspy and that's far and between on that album. But my favorite part of Scraped is the solo.

Maybe 2006 Rock Am Ring Jungle scream gives Rio 2001 a run for it's money. I believe 2006 is  one of the best he's ever done.

Yeah it's up there. In the early 00s Axl started using much less rasp to preserve his voice. The upside was that his technique had gotten better and he could deploy immense amounts of power. 2006 for me is too controlled. In 2001 and at the VMA's he is in full animal mode, with the unfortunate result of blowing out his voice, so he stopped doing that. But my god those were epic screams.

dave-gnfnr

dave-gnfnr wrote:

2008 WTTJ from Rock AM  is probably Axls best sounding WTTJ since the 90s IMO

Izzyjim
 Rep: 2 

Izzyjim wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:
monsterscantkillme wrote:
Tmgladden wrote:

Dude, I don’t want slash in the band either, or duff. I want nuguns. I’ve always preferred nuguns cause that’s what I grew up with. But that doesn’t change the fact you keep yourself singled out by not just dropping it. Let it die till we know for sure

The reason I keep defending Robin and Bucket is because everybody so strongly on their end defends Slash. I'm like alone on an island. But when I say people are telling me it is Robin on the General, and that Monsters is industrial rock I'm not making it up. I've shared the songs with Robin fans on twitter, reddit, and facebook and they think it is Robin.

LOL at calling Monsters industiral rock when it sounds like VR.
You dont know what industrial rock is

It does has that vibe, tbh. Not full on like Ministry but more like Alice Copper's Brutal Planet, early 2000s rock vibe.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:
misterID wrote:

There’s no way this dude isn’t a troll. And if not, he’s just spamming the board with nonsense.

He is def a troll.  And he ruined two general threads

imagine calling  me of all people the biggest defender of slash when this is the first nice thing I have said about slash in over 20 years bc I think if its him on Monsters I think its his best work on the CD era stuff bc the rest was crap.

I want to know whose alt this is.

Can James just prune all his posts about Robin in both threads and dump them into a thread of its own, debating who is on these songs so it doenst ruin two threads.

He's gone now but he actually isn't a troll. Well...not a typical troll anyways. He's a true believer in everything he says. I remember this guy from the Finck forums in 2007-8. He popped back up here during the Village leaks. Had to ban him of course.

He doesn't mean any harm but Jesus Christ...it's incessant. I'd like to have just let him post but it's literally killing real discussion.

dave-gnfnr

dave-gnfnr wrote:
James wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:
misterID wrote:

There’s no way this dude isn’t a troll. And if not, he’s just spamming the board with nonsense.

imagine calling  me of all people the biggest defender of slash when this is the first nice thing I have said about slash in over 20 years bc I think if its him on Monsters I think its his best work on the CD era stuff bc the rest was crap.

Can James just prune all his posts about Robin in both threads and dump them into a thread of its own, debating who is on these songs so it doenst ruin two threads.

He's gone now but he actually isn't a troll. Well...not a typical troll anyways. He's a true believer in everything he says. I remember this guy from the Finck forums in 2007-8. He popped back up here during the Village leaks. Had to ban him of course.

He doesn't mean any harm but Jesus Christ...it's incessant. I'd like to have just let him post but it's literally killing real discussion.

too bad he just didnt start a who plays on the general and monsters thread and then kept all that talk in that, instead of talking about it in multiple threads.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

James wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:
misterID wrote:

Thanks. If he's not a troll then there is obviously something going on upstairs an I kinda feel bad for him, but he was fucking up discourse.

Tmgladden
 Rep: 2 

Tmgladden wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
James wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

Thanks. If he's not a troll then there is obviously something going on upstairs an I kinda feel bad for him, but he was fucking up discourse.

Got me riled up enough to pull me out of lurker mode. But I thought the same, he either a little bit off or he’s actually robin finck in disguise

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:

The General has grown on me so much, It's been in my head all day. I love the eerie vibe, the off kilter vocals & guitar. It's uncomfortable in a compelling way, whereas I found absurd uncomfortable in a 'this is turd' way.

It just makes me want old pre-reunion stuff more.....that's the irony here. Sigh....

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

The more i listen to The General, the more I’m convinced the vocal effects will stay. That would be unfortunate but I’m also thinking we are hearing the official vinyl version.

Board footer