You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: AXL SUED FOR RAPE

misterID wrote:

In all seriousness, if this happens it’s your responsibility to report it to the police. You’re basically allowing a rapist to go around for 40 years raping other people. You press charges, you don’t sue

Jaxlmorrison2
 Rep: 1 

misterID wrote:

Axl never did Stern, he did call ins. And they were unplanned, surprise calls to Axl. Stern isn’t talking to Axl or any rock star that way.

That’s what I’m saying. Comparing the lawsuit and the story in her book, they’re radically different. And there’s some iffy “facts” like Axl going on to do Stern in NYC, which as you said, never happened.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

It looks like Rachtman testimony would be key here. That part is consistent between lawsuit and story in the book.

I can see details like the Stern thing getting confused. Beyond this, it is consistent with other stories that have been heard about Axl from that 86-93 period. I would expect he will try to settle.

He was never known to have a cool head.

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

As far as i'm aware it's a civil case not a legal one. However Blackstar understands this legal stuff better than me. I think one thing that this could lead to is some expose style netflix thing or some sort of documentary though, you got a situation where a bands manager & now the lead singer are being accused of stuff, that probably leads to media looking back at other things people have largely forgotten. Adler spending time inside for battery, Slash's 1999 arrest that sort of thing.

Yes, it's a civil case (which means that she asks for financial compensation either from the court of through an out of court settlement).

She normally wouldn't have been able to sue because the statute of limitations (the time limit within which the law allows to file a civil suit - it's usually 5-10 years after the alleged incident took place). But the state of New York passed laws with which the statute of limitation has been temporarily abolished for a year so that victims of sexual assault that happened way back in the past could have the opportunity to file civil suits. The laws were supposedly passed with the victims of Prince Andrew and the Catholic Church in mind, however many celebrities have been also sued (including Bob Dylan for something that supposedly happened in 1965 - that case was eventually withdrawn and dismissed).

This same story didn't do much when it first made the rounds in the media in 2016 after Sheila Kennedy gave an interview to the Daily Mail promoting her book:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … sorry.html

It didn't do much when it was featured in the "Look Away" documentary a couple of years ago either (the Steven Tyler case that was also featured in it got way more public attention). Maybe it's because stories like that about Axl wouldn't catch anyone by surprise.

Now it's a lawsuit and it naturally will get more publicity than an article in the press. But I think what keeps it from being disastrous and leading to exposes etc. is that it's about something that happened almost 35 years ago and not something more recent (like in the case of Marilyn Manson) - and the public perception of Axl for that period has been negative anyway.

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:

Statement from Axl's lawyer:

The rocker's attorney, Alan Gutman of Gutman Law, tells TMZ ... "Simply put, this incident never happened. Notably, these fictional claims were filed the day before the New York State filing deadline expires."

Gutman continues ... "Though he doesn’t deny the possibility of a fan photo taken in passing, Mr. Rose has no recollection of ever meeting or speaking to the Plaintiff, and has never heard about these again fictional allegations prior to today."

Finally, he finishes with this ... "Mr. Rose is confident this case will be resolved in his favor."

https://www.tmz.com/2023/11/22/axl-rose … l-lawsuit/

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Got to say i'm surprised it has taken this long. With the whole "me too" thing, the rock n' roll fraternity seemingly were overlooked while Hollywood in the main was the target.

Chickens are coming to roost now seemingly - I wonder how many more lawsuits are in the pipeline?

Can't help but feel this could be the beginning of the end. Axl faced a host of similar lawsuits in the mid-90s and look at the subsequent period of silence. Does he have the fight in him to remain a public figure of any description or will he buy his way out of this and sail off into the sunset..?

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Beginning of the end? End of what?

Axl Rose hasn’t been a thing since 1993/94…he is not mainstream and almost nobody under the age of 40 knows who he is…

This thing has been over for over 30 years. It doesn’t make me happy to say that.

We’ve all been on this message board since then trying to mourn it.

I don’t even care anymore if the folklore is true…or if Axl really is a monster…the consequences of how the world responded to him have left its mark.

We have stupid fuckin female acts ruling the day now and guys like him were caged and erased.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

The end insofar as not being cancelled vs being cancelled. Cancelled equates to no more Sweet Child on the radio, no more Jungle at sports fixtures, no tiktoks, no more kids/teenagers wearing GN'R t-shirts, no more GN'R being part of the fabric of the worlds view around them being an absolutely iconic band. Certainly no more sold out global stadium jaunts.  This may not happen of course - but it's possible. Look at what happened to Michael Jackson.

You are underplaying their cultural importance all around the world.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

Where's James? Wonder what he makes of all this. We all thought things were going to die down a lot after the tour finished and shit gone crazy.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Civil Case is based around "balance of probabilities" which loosely equates to finding something "more likely than not" while a criminal case requires the proof to be "beyond reasonable doubt".

So in short it's much easier to win a 'he said, she said' kinda dispute like this at a civil trial.

If "me too" ever comes for the rockstars it will be almost unending, the whole culture of the industry in those days is pretty sexually toxic. Abuse of fans by bands, crew, labels, and the industry of it all seems to have been almost the norm. Like how wrestlers do bad stuff to each other. Like how movie people work insane hours. It was how the industry as a whole operated, I don't think they called it sex, drugs and rock and roll because it was clean. Some of it was just the time period, and some of it was bad people.

As for this case, well, Axl is a rich man and thus a target, then again, there's many stories of him becoming volatile suddenly, and I believe even other stories of sexual aggression including forced-anal.... so yeah...sad if it's true, sad if it's false, and maybe even sadder is that not super surprising either way.

Board footer