You are not logged in. Please register or login.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

Re: Duff writes new Civil War for GNR: "Amen"

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

An interview from December 20th: https://www.a-4-d.com/t8178-2023-12-20- … -with-duff

22:00 minute mark:

Brian Koppelman: When you write these songs, I mean when you get an idea or you get a groove, do you ever… how do you know “Okay man, I’m gonna save this bit for a band that I’m working with.” Because you’ve done so much band stuff, not just with Guns N’ Roses, but so much of that stuff.

Duff: Yeah.

Brian Koppelman: How do you know, “Okay, this little melody and riff, an idea, feels right for me,” “I should play this one for Slash,” “I should not,” “I should play this one for…” How do you… Or is that not in you head at all and you address it like, “All right, I’m doing a Duff project now”. How does that work for you?

Duff: Man, okay, so if you could see my screen, if I could share you my screen on my iPad – which I’m talking to you on right now – I got a thing called Garage Band and I just hit the microphone and I have my acoustic guitar with me at all times on the road everywhere. It’s my punk guitar killer, it’s my everything. But I just love to play having the guitar in my lap. And I’ll write songs – there’s all this I call my crappy demos, they’re all on my iPad. I’ve shared my crappy demos only with a couple of people, Slash being one, because he knows what I’m trying to get. Or Mark, my producer. My crappy demos. So I will label them, you know, with a question mark: “GN’R?” or “Iggy?” Or, you know, “Ozzy?” But most of them for me… I wrote a song called “Amen”. It just all came to me when that - you know, everything that went down in Gaza and Israel, like that day. I was on the road watching TV and just heartbroken. You know, I’ve read so much history about that area dating back pre-Christ and all that. But like, they have just been under siege forever, you know, and this isn’t… I guess you don’t get surprised anymore. That’s happened a million times. But heartbroken you can be. You can be heartbroken.

Brian Koppelman: And in fact if you’re not heartbroken a little bit by this stuff - when you see kids in these situations… there’s something broken. But it’s so interesting like you just casually said that-

Duff: So I wrote a song called “Amen” and I sent it to Slash, and I said, “This is a Guns song. This is a Civil War, this is a new Civil War type of song.” Civil War is a Guns N’ Roses song-

Brian Koppelman: Of course, I know.

Duff: Those out there listening might not know.

Brian Koppelman: Yeah.

Duff: And I’d say there’s a new civil war.

Brian Koppelman: Oh I see, yes. Of course. So that’s how you wrote that now, because it feels like that vibe.

Full interview: https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir … bed_player

Sky Dog wrote:

Thanks for sharing….Duff is a really good dude.

busngabb
 Rep: 1 

busngabb wrote:

Good stuff. We might hear it when it leaks in 2047, before them playing it on the 'Shanghai Sunset' farewell tour's 294th leg.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

This at least shows to me they are open to the idea of writing new gnr music. He wouldn’t put it out there like that if there were no chance.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

All due respect to Duff, but it's a long bow to draw to suggest he has it in his locker to write something of the calibre of 'Civil War'...

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

If you took 100 million in 100 dollar bills and counted it by hand, doing 16 hour shifts, it would take you 3 months.

Axl should write a song about that, or other similar problems he might be having.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

One of Axl’s complaints was that he was the sole songwriter in the new lineup so this could be a good thing

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

I hope this isn't CD again, endless waiting with the occasional prick tease of music in the works

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

All due respect to Duff, but it's a long bow to draw to suggest he has it in his locker to write something of the calibre of 'Civil War'...

Have you ever read the writing credits or backstory of the song? He wrote the “black armband” part.

In your defense he also wrote So Fine.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

FlashFlood wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Have you ever read the writing credits or backstory of the song? He wrote the “black armband” part.

In your defense he also wrote So Fine.

There are at least half a dozen songs off his recent solo albums where I've thought, "Y'know, if you had Slash lay down a guitar track on that and had Axl singing the vocals instead of/alongside Duff, that'd be a damn good GN'R song."

I mean, shit, Bob Dylan called this his favourite song of the year:

Board footer