You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

polluxlm wrote:
wagszilla wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Eric Roth. No shortage of blood I expect.

You're thinking of Eli Roth. 16

It's been a week and only now do I realize my mistake. I like Eric Roth. There is also Tim Roth so I guess that's why I'm confused.

Saw the Name of the Rose again. Great movie. Sean Connery delivers a masterclass and then F. Murray Abraham comes in at the end and manages to upstage him. Movies deserves to be longer though. Could easily add another 30 minutes.

F. Murray Abrahams didn't have a bad career but I feel he has been criminally underused. What a talent. He can play anything with complete conviction. Christopher Plummer in the last 30 years is what Abrahams should have become.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Watched a bunch lately (in order of decade from new to older)

The Killer : hey a new Fincher film.  And this one is very good.  One caveat, the first twenty mins nothing much happens.  But after that it's basically wonderful modern neo noir goodness.  It works as a "globetrotting" film as well a modern crime film.  There are references to Amazon,  smartphones etc (modern stuff) but it's still a revenge film in the vein of the better ones. 

True Grit:  this was a good film.  I just expected a classic given what I read.  The child actress Stanfield, definitely deserved the Oscar.  Bridges gave a good performance too but I felt like they rewarded him for slightling him for better performances in the past.  Matt Damon was fine as a supporting character.  I did really like a sequence near the end that took place in the night as they were racing through the forest.

Ghost World: this is technically a 90s film.  I kind of felt there was a connection to Reality Bites.  I mean it's semi similar material with the main characters just floating aimlessly.  I totally forgot what a horrible character Enid (Thora Birch) was.  She destroys a couple of relationships in that film for no real reason.  Ilyena Douglas does  a great portrayal of one of those left leaning art professors.  Oh, I did laugh when they showed a Radio Shack at the end.

One False Move :  I've mentioned this one before.  So I'll just go over stuff I found interesting.  Most of the main characters are filled with shades of gray.  Also, the stuff with the crimminals was far more interesting.  The cops were just kind of there.  Oh while watching this I was struck with the thought that this type of film could only be made in America.  You have this blues soundtrack that's playing in the back along with the setting of small town USA and its just kind of soothing and the film kind of rolls along.  Oh, I totally missed the race stuff at the end, the first time around.  It's really strong and powerful.

Warning Sign: first off in a post covid world, this was a lot more possible than one imagined.  Anyway to the film.  This was really good.  I'm not sure if the science/medical stuff was accurate at all but I didn't care it kept me entertained.  It works as both a conspiracy film and as a disaster film.  Acting is fine with Kathleen Quinlan, Sam Waterson and the late Yaphet Kotto.  There were a couple of scary moments in this that almost delved into horror.  I much preferred this to Outbreak which came out 10 years ago in 1995.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

True Grit started so well then fizzled out into nothing.

I'm going to check out the Fincher flick. One of the few decent directors still working today.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'll have to check that out...Fincher one of my all time favorites.

12 Angry Men (1997) - Great film. An all star cast .. including Gandolfini right before The Sopranos. Great chemistry. Should've swept the Golden Globes and other awards shows. This might be the best made for TV movie ever.

While it's a drama...it's really a comedy drama. I laughed every few minutes at their bitching/yelling.

Love how the story plays out...it's all about the jury...the criminal and anything else irrelevant.

I need to watch the original from the 1950s.

Both are on Tubi.

Room 237 -  Documentary on the making of The Shining that focuses on the hidden meanings and conspiracies...way too much time spent on the Indian stuff along with the Apollo conspiracy. 

It just made me want to watch The Shining again.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
James wrote:

12 Angry Men (1997) - Great film. An all star cast .. including Gandolfini right before The Sopranos. Great chemistry. Should've swept the Golden Globes and other awards shows. This might be the best made for TV movie ever.

While it's a drama...it's really a comedy drama. I laughed every few minutes at their bitching/yelling.

Love how the story plays out...it's all about the jury...the criminal and anything else irrelevant.

I’ve yet to see the 1997 remake, but the 1950’s version had me gripped all the way through. An absolute classic.

James

James wrote:

Tubi and Amazon have a bunch of movies leaving at the end of the month so figured I'd watch a few.

That Thing You Do - They do a great job on the 60s setting. About a one hit wonder with Hanks as their manager...and you start getting sick of that song.

Capricorn One - I iked it but it does have faults. It feels like a TV movie. They don't do a good job piecing the conspiracy together. Gould should've been digging for the truth from the get go. Instead we get a handful of scenes for him to put it all together. Also not enough scenes of them on the Mars stage or in the ship. The climax is lackluster.

When all those Mars movies were coming out in the 2000s, one of them should've been a remake of this.

It's weird seeing Sam Waterston in anything but Law and Order.

The Little Things - This is even worse on a rewatch. There's a good story here but the incompetent detective almost kills it.

metallex78 wrote:
James wrote:

I’ve yet to see the 1997 remake, but the 1950’s version had me gripped all the way through. An absolute classic.

Maybe I should watch this tonight.

James

James wrote:

Been watching a lot of movies while trying to recover.

Taxi Driver - Yeah...this is overrated. I hadn't watched this in probably 30 years. I didn't even remember the ending. I would've bet my life on Jodi Foster being a big part of this film. She only has a handful of scenes as it nears the climax. Only thing I liked about it is the 70s NY setting. I'd kill to eat at that cafeteria those cabbies eat lunch at.

I didn't remember him surviving. That was a trip.

I also never realized until now what a hot piece of ass Cybill Shepherd was in her youth.

Mean Streets - I don't think I had ever watched this.

This is THE prototype for Quentin Tarantino films.

Other than the 70s NY setting...which is amazing....it's not very good. Very little happens, mostly conversations, and there's no real payoff at the end.

Great soundtrack.

Una - Like Nesting Dolls, this film comes awfully close to greatness. If dealing with such a subject....child abuse victim confronting the guy 15 years later and you want to shock your audience, go all the way. Don't half ass it and then give it a lackluster ending.

While she's everyone's darling and she does a good job here, I don't like Rooney Mara. Not fond of her sister anymore neither. As I get older, I loathe these Taylor Swift types who are only in the position they are in because they threw fits in front of their rich families to become movie stars and then the whole world is instantly handed to them on a silver platter.

Society of the Snow - Until a few days ago I had no idea this existed. It's an Alive remake...one of my favorite 90s movies.

It was ok but I hated the editing style. I also didn't like how they handled certain aspects of the story...the lone woman dying is barely an afterthought here yet in reality it almost killed their spirit.

Loved how the actors took it seriously and went on crash diets to lose a bunch of weight. Made it so much more realistic.

The CGI plane crash was inferior to the 90s version.

I'll finish my list later. I gotta go somewhere.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Society of the Snow - Until a few days ago I had no idea this existed. It's an Alive remake...one of my favorite 90s movies.

It was ok but I hated the editing style. I also didn't like how they handled certain aspects of the story...the lone woman dying is barely an afterthought here yet in reality it almost killed their spirit.

Loved how the actors took it seriously and went on crash diets to lose a bunch of weight. Made it so much more realistic.

The CGI plane crash was inferior to the 90s version.

I was kind of wondering about this once since it got nominated for a best foreign film oscar.  Looks like I'll pass.

The Outfit (1973).  Revenge film starring Robert Duvall.  Made in between the Godfather movies.  And it delivers. It's not complex, just delivers what is sets out to.  Gritty and cool.  Suprised it isn't better known to be honest.

Missing (2021).  Japanese film.  Saw this on Tubi.  The premise is a little misleading and it takes a bit to get started but once it gets into high gear I was totally into it.  Reminded me of those 2010's Korean films I used to watch a lot of.

Hunt (2022) Speaking of Korean, this one is an espinoage thriller starring the guy from Squid Game (took me a while to place him).  There's nothing wrong with it and it's probably better than the majority of Hollywood fare getting pumped out in the same genre.    BUT some of these films can get overly complex plotwise and sometimes I swear I need a freaking scorecard/primer to keep track of the plots/characters floating around in the film.

Lost Souls (2000)  I went in semi blind on this one.  And guess what, I enjoyed it.  Probably at the tail end of Winona Ryder's prime.  I always kind of liked her which helps.  Anyway, it seems like Hollywood released a bunch of religious/supernatural type style thrilers in 99 and 2000.  I think this one kind of gets lost unfortuanatley.  I enjoyed this one as a film more than Stigmata (which may be better made). One of the biggest pluses on this movie is the cinematography.  It looks like one of those gritty 70s films, except it's set in 2000.  It's a bit of a slow burner.  I did get a kick out of seeing audio cassette tapes still in vogue in the year 2000.  NYC is prominent/a character which is always good. I sort of liked the ending too.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Been watching some "24". First couple of seasons.

Was good then, not great. What I like are the obvious political angles that played into the show. Obama is basically David Palmer. That's the role he's playing. You could have taken Haysbert's scenes from the first season and told people it was a dramatization of the Obama presidency and people would believe it.

Jack Bauer is basically a personification of Uncle Sam in the early 2000s, going around kicking everbody's ass. And he should do that because he's the good guy and there's a bomb, the prez is going to die and we have to invade a bunch of countries! I don't know what went on behind the scenes on the production, but obviously someone was in the know.

Amazing how much reach these terrorist groups have. You have a couple of "patriots" and they're able to gain access to an FBI style facility and bomb it like it was just another days work.

Apparently you can just hire some guys abroad to kill the President. Send them a couple of million and they'll take care of that, no problem. You want fries with that? Or at least that's what the Secret Service believes and they're pretty certain of it.

It's funny how they have to give Cuthbert something to do in the second season and they just have her running into one improbable incident after the other. First she happens to be the babysitter of a control freak who kills his wife and they have this huge back and forth throughout the city. Of course Jack Bauer is involved and big time government agents, police, you name it, trying to locate her, but they all fail. When the kid goes missing she immediately falls into the prey of some pedophile killers that happen to stand right there on the street. Next she is arrested for murder that the other guy committed, but she gets out of that, and then she arrives at a store where the sleazy owner of course contemplates raping her right then and there, and while that is going on there is an illegal immigrant hammering on the doors and he ends up killing the guy and taking Cuthbert hostage. She escapes, runs into the woods and the first guy she meets, Matt Dillon's brother, is some crazy loner who concocts a tale about nuclear armageddon in the hope that she will become his girlfriend. And there's stil a handful of episodes left!

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I watched No Country For Old Men recently.

Was pretty decent, and in some parts great. I liked that it didn’t have your typical happy ending. The good people in the story don’t have a good outcome, and it ends kinda bleak and sad. Great performances by Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, and an excellent villain played by Javier Bardem. Some of the scenes are so tense with so little dialogue, just his on screen presence is pure evil.

Board footer