You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: Differences in the "old" new leaks....

Saikin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

You cant say Slash wouldnt be intimidated by the CD lineup because the guy couldn't even work with Zakk Wylde. Zakk is fucking great, but I doubt he was going in the directions BH took this project.

I don't think slash was intimidated by Zakk, they're friends and have played around together a bit.

I think it's a question of differing musical vision.

Slash operates from a 1970s rock...led zep..aerosmith...etc perspective where you have 2 guitar parts - a rhythm part to set the key and act as a foil for a lead part to pull melodies and solo over.

Having three guitarists in the band is not compatiable with that...for that style you can't have two lead guitarists.

If Zakk and Slash and Gilby were in the band one of them would be doing nothing of use at any one stage.

I find it's similar in the modern band. Having BBF, Richard and Robin play a song like "brownstone" with 2 distinct guitar parts adds nothing.

What it comes down to is Axl basicly wanted to add session musicans to the songs to get different styles in different places. And other than play the one solo where they are needed they do nothing. This is true of bucket and robin too. The parts everyone loves of bucket...are usually 20 seconds of massive shred solos inserted before a chorus (better) or over a scream (IRS)....the rest of the time he doesn't have much to do.

I do think Slash was intimidated.  It all boils down to ego.  All Slash needs for a band is a rythym player that can supply a back drop for him to shine over.   How many people really noticed Izzy's contributions at first?  Not very many.  They were all obsessed with Slash's work. 

So bring in Zakk, a guitar player who isn't going to let someone shine over him and just play as a support to anyone else.  That would make a player like Slash a little uncomfortable. 

Then Slash and BH, while that would be an ideal combination for GNR, would take a lot of work on Slash's part. 

Imagine Slash supplying some great riffs, and bluesy solos, with BH doing his thing and also contributing some good bluesy solos. 

BH also was not a session musician.  That would mean that someone else would have to be able to replicate his work in a live setting and that definently hasn't happened.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I would never know where the quote is(sic?), but a few years back Slash made some comments that were not flattering to new GNR, but Slash made sure not to include Buckethead in the remarks.

A sign of respect.

Would love to see the two fuck around together on a song or two someday.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Oh slash may have an ego about it. I mean he was the lead guitarist - why share that role? But i don't think he is intimidated...i think he just felt he'd have nothing to do if someone else was ripping out the solos. I mean what would he do? Play izzy's part? If he was intimidated he wouldn't have shared a stage with Zakk on other occasions.

I'm not knocking bucket when i said he is a session player. I just mean like this is Axl's album and he brings in people for particualr purposes and then they're gone. Ron is the person brought in to replicate bucket's part. It's him that plays the bits bucket did when he was in the band...and its him that plays buckets parts on the new songs live (eg twat).

I've thought all along what they needed to do was to have 1 lead guitarist and 1 backing. loose robin and get bucket or ron or someone else to be the lead player. But i guess robin must have contributed parts axl liked so he wanted both things.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Thing is Bucket could easily play all the stuff Slash has ever done note for note if he wanted. Slash couldn't. I like Slash don't get me wrong but if Bucket wanted to write stuff in the bluesy rock style that Slash does, he could no bother.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Thing is Bucket could easily play all the stuff Slash has ever done note for note if he wanted. Slash couldn't. I like Slash don't get me wrong but if Bucket wanted to write stuff in the bluesy rock style that Slash does, he could no bother.

Gosh, seriously?

Sure Buckethead could play it note for note. There are technically talented musicians that can play Mozart note for note. Doesn't mean they could come up with something just as good, or even in that style. Just because Buckethead could play it doesn't mean he could come up with it as easily as it flows out of Slash. Slash during the GNR hey-day was on a creative roll.

I have listened to alot of Buckethead albums and I've never heard anything that sounded like Slash. They are just completely different styles of playing, they have different tones to their guitars, etc. Buckethead just happens to have a more diverse plethora of styles while Slash has... lol, one style. Pretty much.

And please don't tell me about how "Buckethead DOES play hard rock bluesy-style Slash guitar on *insert Colma, Electric Tears, Peppers Ghost, Population Override, Decoding the Tomb of the Bansheebot, here*"
Just because there is bluesy influence doesn't mean it's the same style Slash plays. The only Buckethead album I've heard that has anything that sounds remotely Slash to me is some of the songs on Giant Robot (namely Buckethead's Toystore) but even then, it's still almost completely different.

Could Buckethead write the same hit hard rock songs that Slash has? Maybe if he wanted to. But why would he want to? It would be completely NOT HIS STYLE. I love Buckethead's albums. There is literally so much depth and so many different genres that one cannot help but feel the guy is a creative monster in his own right. When you go from playing "Sketches of Spain" to fucking "Jump Man" to "I Can Only Carry 50 Chickens at a Time" to "Traveling Morgue" to "Forbidden Zone"... (man Buckethead is awesome) you cover SOOOOOOO many fucking genres. I mean seriously, none of those songs are even close to being in the same genre. And there's still more songs from other albums I could list that are even different genres from the above listed songs (Caution Drop, Octave Of The Holy Innocents, etc.)

So honestly, quit comparing Bucket and Slash. It gets old. I love both of them. I'm (probably) never going to hear Slash's same tone, style and heaviness on a Buckethead album and I'm definitely never going to hear Slash cover 500 genres perfectly and with a unique style like Buckethead does.

So talk about a FUCKING DEAD HORSE. Lol. Daaaaaaamn. No more Slash v Buckethead... -_-

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

That was an excellent post.  I'll eat a 4 piece wing dinner tonight in your honor.

bucket

Slash during the GNR hey-day was on a creative roll.

No doubts there. Everything the guy touched turned to gold. Actually, it turned platinum. Not just with GNR either. While Kravitz hit the scene with Let Love Rule, Slash played a huge role in getting his career steamrolling by being on Mama Said and also performing in the video.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Maybe this deserves a new thread, but what happened?  As much as I love Slash, his creativity seemed to slow a lot with Snakepit and VR.  As much as I like some of the songs he's done post GnR, some of them are as unlistenable as the new leaks are.  I tend to think that Slash came up with less of the riffs and more of the solos and Izzy wrote the majority of the riffs for Guns.  His solos are still pretty good to great, but the songwriting has definately hit a snag. 

Much like I think Axl is a failure without Slash and Izzy, I think the same goes for Slash without Axl and Izzy - and to a lesser extent Izzy without Slash and Axl.  It's amazing really that the sum of the parts is that much better than any of them individually.  Flashes of brilliance from all of them, but none of them can sustain it at all.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

VR is a failure. There's nothing there that's any good. TWAT alone is better than both of those albums. I dont know what happened to him but his riffs aint very good anymore

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:

VR is a failure. There's nothing there that's any good. TWAT alone is better than both of those albums. I dont know what happened to him but his riffs aint very good anymore

Every failure should result in a Grammy and songs featured as DLC on GH3.  Anybody with a resonable opinion want to chime in?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I know I say this everytime this comes up - but add Axl to the snakepit 1 guitar tracks...then add a couple of pure Axl songs in the classic style like TWAT and The Blues..imagine a slash solo on them and would get what could have been a GNR record. (well u need to add izzy too..but still)

My point is...I don't think the guitar is any worse on Snakepit than AFD (in fact much of it is harder to play) and Axl's melodies and lyrics havn't gone down either. It's just these days we only get to see 1/2 the sum at any one time.

Most people who have an issue with VR don't like the stuff scott brought to the table...his singing style, his lyrics, and his dislike of guitar solos and his grunge with strong shorus-hook style song structures.

Although he has an unmistakable style, slash adapts to who he plays with, i'm sure he has some good riffs in him yet, he just needs to work with people who want to make that kind of music again.

Board footer