You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BrokenGlassNCigs
 Rep: 25 

Re: Haute tension (2003)

Have you seen this horror flick, James? It's considered one of the greats around the horror community (of the 2000's atleast). Just saw it earlier and I gotta say, it was decent. It sucks to deal with the overdubs, everything would've been much better with simple subtitles. The plot was bush-league quite frankly, but hey, there isn't much you can do with a horror plot that breaks new ground and is innovative, but I digress. The acting was subpar, besides the main chick, she put in a decent performance. The killer was a fucking savage though. A mix of Michael Myers and Vladmir Harkonnen (from Dune) -- strange I know. The lesbian overtones are kinda different for a slasher flick, but it sort of worked.

I had a major problem with the ending twist. That shit has been overdone for years, now. Basically, the ending of Fight Club, just without the intellectual dialogue to support it (not to mention, originality). But it was a valiant effort, in a world where horror movies are absolute trash these days.

I'd give it a 6/10.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338095/

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I agree with your analysis completely.The "twist" pretty much ruined this film, although I would still include it on a list of the good films this decade. First half of the film is nearly flawless. As it builds up, you can see that something is up and even though you don't really see the twist coming, when it happens you aren't really all that surprised.

Also agree about overdubs. I hate that shit.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Haute tension is easily Aja's best film to date, although I was impressed with his Hills Have Eyes redux and look forward to Mirrors. I never took issue with the dubbing. When I saw it in theaters, you know, it's just something I'm used to dealing with. I watch the uncut, subtitled version on DVD, so I don't see the issue. I think Haute tension was an incredibly underrated slasher flick that unfortunately never found an audience in the States and thanks to films like Fight Club, it's perceived that the ending is something to be taken seriously when in fact the entire thing is little more than a gussied up Video Nasty. It's a superior slasher flick, what more can I say? It's one of the better horror films of the new millennium, which has been otherwise underwhelming.

Board footer