You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Song #2 (Unknown Title)

monkeychow wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

Just one thing I'd like to add:  James is dead on right about (the fan base, myself included) not wanting to believe this is Prostitute.  This was the last solid block of foundation for the mythical Chinese Democracy house that Axl built, if this IS Prostitute the foundation has now crumbled.

It's interesting that so many people seem to feel that way.

I'm no nutswinger, given I'm a huge fan of the old band and all that, but I'm really quite satisified with the overall quality of the songs i've heard.

Chinese Democracy, Track 2, Better, IRS, Rhiad, Oh My God,  If the World, the Blues, Madagascar, There was a time, and Catcher In the Rye are all song's I enjoy in one way or another, some more than others, some for particualr reasons or parts more than others, but each one of them has provided me with something interesting. throw in another few tracks of a similar songwriting standard, maybe a cover for traditions sake (sailing comes to mind!) and mix and master it all up at top notch level and you'd have an album I would gladly buy, and more imortantly, listen to and enjoy as a regular part of my music collection.

My love of Slash made me tempted to lash out against this stuff at one time, just out of spite, but when it comes down to it, these are pretty good songs, and on a similar level to the stuff axl contributed to the old band. (if you look at Axl's contribution as the lyrics, vocal melodies, and the obvious paino based epics).

I think people who are wanting this album to be the best album of all time or somehow create some kind of cataclismic event or justify how long it has taken are in a way deluding themselves.

The massive delay was due to Axl's personal problems, business problems, legal problems, lack of muse, and the outright nearly impossible challange of starting something from scratch and building it to be as impressive a creative and talented bunch as the old band was, in the context of all these circumstances. Yes people have said it will be a good album. No surprise. Axl is a talented dude. So are the people he hires to work with him. I would expect nothing less. But is it right for us to expect that every month we wait the songs have somehow become a better standard than they would have been the month before? That's just not going to happen in my opinion. And i feel people wanting this are going to be upset with the end result.

I accept CD for what it is. A musical expression of Axl's artistic talents, showcasing the directions he felt he wasn't able to go with the old band (OMG, Rhiad) and cataloging his personal struggles and emotions as artists do (eg The Blues, Twat etc). I would expect it to be a strong record, with Axl's parts (guitar parts and fan guitarist prefrences aside - as we'll always find some people like Slash more than Bucket or Bucket more than Ron or whatever) at similar  level to his previous works. To me that's what all the leaks since day 1 have indicated we will get, and I just hope one day we actually do get it.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Listen to the arrangements right before and after the 2:00 mark. If that isn't Buckmaster, I'm Tammy Faye Baker.

I have to agree...that's Buckmaster.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

Just one thing I'd like to add:  James is dead on right about (the fan base, myself included) not wanting to believe this is Prostitute.  This was the last solid block of foundation for the mythical Chinese Democracy house that Axl built, if this IS Prostitute the foundation has now crumbled.

I'm no nutswinger, given I'm a huge fan of the old band and all that, but I'm really quite satisified with the overall quality of the songs i've heard.

I don't think the album is bad and I actually love I.R.S./T.W.A.T./The Blues/Chinese Democracy and Riyadh.  My statement was geared more toward the hype that Prostitute would basically be the end all song from the album.  The album isn't monumental but it is good, a rocker that warranted the hype of Prostitute could make a good album better and I have always believed (hoped against hope perhaps) that "the best was yet to come".

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

Chinese Democracy, Track 2, Better, IRS, Rhiad, Oh My God,  If the World, the Blues, Madagascar, There was a time, and Catcher In the Rye are all song's I enjoy in one way or another, some more than others, some for particualr reasons or parts more than others, but each one of them has provided me with something interesting. throw in another few tracks of a similar songwriting standard, maybe a cover for traditions sake (sailing comes to mind!) and mix and master it all up at top notch level and you'd have an album I would gladly buy, and more imortantly, listen to and enjoy as a regular part of my music collection.

My love of Slash made me tempted to lash out against this stuff at one time, just out of spite, but when it comes down to it, these are pretty good songs, and on a similar level to the stuff axl contributed to the old band. (if you look at Axl's contribution as the lyrics, vocal melodies, and the obvious paino based epics).

I think people who are wanting this album to be the best album of all time or somehow create some kind of cataclismic event or justify how long it has taken are in a way deluding themselves.

The massive delay was due to Axl's personal problems, business problems, legal problems, lack of muse, and the outright nearly impossible challange of starting something from scratch and building it to be as impressive a creative and talented bunch as the old band was, in the context of all these circumstances. Yes people have said it will be a good album. No surprise. Axl is a talented dude. So are the people he hires to work with him. I would expect nothing less. But is it right for us to expect that every month we wait the songs have somehow become a better standard than they would have been the month before? That's just not going to happen in my opinion. And i feel people wanting this are going to be upset with the end result.

I accept CD for what it is. A musical expression of Axl's artistic talents, showcasing the directions he felt he wasn't able to go with the old band (OMG, Rhiad) and cataloging his personal struggles and emotions as artists do (eg The Blues, Twat etc). I would expect it to be a strong record, with Axl's parts (guitar parts and fan guitarist prefrences aside - as we'll always find some people like Slash more than Bucket or Bucket more than Ron or whatever) at similar  level to his previous works. To me that's what all the leaks since day 1 have indicated we will get, and I just hope one day we actually do get it.

Great post, karma worthy. Too stoned and tired to get into details, but this is my issue with ALL these tracks...

They're all good. Some are REALLY good. Guess what though? They don't live up to the standards set by the talent involved and they couldn't back up their big mouths with action. Earth shattering? Mind blowing? Unlike anything ever heard? Are you kidding me??

Hook MIA up with Bucket and an orchestra and she'll shit this album out in a week. I'm not saying that because I'm a fan. I'm saying it because she could really do it. There's nothing unique going on here. We've heard this all before.

Thats my issue.I don't hate the material(well, they can keep Prostitute). Its just not what they were saying its going to be. However, like you, I can accept that. All I am expecting out of the CD sessions now is some pretty good material. I expect an average record. Better than most of whats on the scene at the moment, but nothing that says, "Wow. This is really something special. How did they do it?"

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Gunslinger upu might be right. Hell i'd love it if that was the case too.

I've just always wondered how many rockers will really be on the album. Like who is writing them? I always got the impression from the old band that Axl wrote the lyrics to everything and the music to the more epic/paino type tunes, but not really the guitar parts. So all the old YCBM/brownstone style riffs surely came from izzy/slash. Huge was into the OMG style sound. Bucket can surely do anything he chooses - but it seems uncommon for him to work within a traditional rock riff style song. Which leaves Robin - who i'm sure could write some cool riffs (eg better) but given axl spoke of feeling trapped artisticly by being forced to work with Slash's formulaic approach and set sound...I don't expect him to have asked them to write much hard rocky type stuff.

Anyway...i hope it does show up thats for sure!

I just feel that the whole prostitute myth is overrated. Even if it isn't this song, it's just going to be a song of compariable quality to what we've already heard IMHO, possibly with some more impressive guitar work if it is a true rocker and they let bucket go nuts wink

James

James wrote:

LIke I was saying to dave, IF this isn't Prostitute, it means Buckmaster came in to the project again and worked on a 5th track.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

I don't think the album is bad and I actually love I.R.S./T.W.A.T./The Blues/Chinese Democracy and Riyadh.  My statement was geared more toward the hype that Prostitute would basically be the end all song from the album.  The album isn't monumental but it is good, a rocker that warranted the hype of Prostitute could make a good album better and I have always believed (hoped against hope perhaps) that "the best was yet to come".

We have all probably been waiting for the best unrealistically.  With people wanting Prostitute to be the best song on the album, it created that mentality in the fan base.

But how do most bands operate?  If they have really strong material, they play it live to see how the fans like it.  When a band is coming out with a new album, they will play the stronger songs off of their album before it's released.  That's not to say there's not stronger songs than what we've heard on the album still, i just don't see them being these huge rock songs.  They will most likely be ballads.  Bands usually play their strongest rock songs live.  That would mean, Better, IRS, Rhiad, and Chinese Democracy. 

If this is indeed Prostitute, 'the best' is not yet to come.  We will get a great album, but nothing 'mind blowing.'

BurningHills
 Rep: 15 

BurningHills wrote:

James -

With all due respect, we now have 2 separate sources saying that Song #2 isn't Prostitute, and if I remember correctly, one of the leakers (can't remember which), said that he was still looking for Prostitute - so the leaker himself admitted that he didn't have it, unless he honestly had no idea what the song titles were/are. I'm not saying that this isn't or can't be Prostitute, but if Gunslinger heard a clip of what was supposed to be Prostitute, and it wasn't Song #2, then I think we have to say that this really is something else (My personal theory is still banking on Atlas Shrugged.)

Of course, there's still some evidence in support of it being Prostitute, as in, Rhiad & If The World were both 2006 options on the setlist along with Prostitute - 3 new songs leak, 2 of which we know were nearly played, and a mythical third track which no-one wants to fess up the title of. Not to mention, the lyrical theme seems to fit someone "prostituting" themselves for fame and fortune. If it IS Prostitute, then I'm not all that disappointed, as I do think it's a great song and one of my favorite leaks so far.

My personal, gut feeling though? It's not Prostitute. And again, I respectfully disagree with you on this one, James.

James

James wrote:

Yeah, and we also had 20 sources saying My Favorite Pillow was GNR a few years back. We also had about 5 sources saying a GNR tour was being planned earlier this year(they didn't know Finck was gone). When you weigh the pros for it being Prostitute(Buckmaster arrangements, theme of the song, the setlist,etc.) and you weigh it against the cons of it not being Prostitute(a couple forum "insiders"), well you know which side I'm going with.

dave-gnfnr2k
 Rep: 11 

dave-gnfnr2k wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
dave-gnfnr2k wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Listen to the arrangements right before and after the 2:00 mark. If that isn't Buckmaster, I'm Tammy Faye Baker.

Buckmaster did more than one song, he juts named prostitute as being one of them.
But you are right about your other post.  most gnr fans dont want to believe this is prostitute. I still think its a great song, but I think there are better songs than prostitute of the leaks.

Out of his own mouth, he worked on the following tracks:

The Blues
Madgascar
There Was A Time

and:

*drum roll please*

Prostitute

We dont even know this is his works, it could be Beltrami for all we know.
Who did the orcharation for IF the world? It sounds the same as the untitled track and madagascar using that logic I guess IF the world is prostitute right./ I love how people can claim oh this work on the song is from buckmaster when no one ever heard of the guy before his work on CD and I bet one even has heard of any of his work outside of CD or could tell the difference

All I know is we have had a few people who have claimed to have heard prosttute say untitled is not the same song.  NONE one that has claimed to have heard prostitute has stated untitled is prostitute.

so unless those people who have heard it, a few leakers, the classic rock guy from the podcast and someone who claims to work for the label are all lying or mistaken it seems the song is not prostitute.

Here are the facts as we know them  right now.
We have had people shoot down the theory this is prostitute, we have not gotten one person to verfiy this is prostitute, only guesses it might be.

Board footer