You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Slashisvr
 Rep: 8 

Re: Who's your dream replacement for Robin?

Slashisvr wrote:
dave-gnfnr2k wrote:
Slashisvr wrote:

dont get  me wrong, good player and all that, but i dont think he'd "fit" GNR, saying that, i didnt think buckethead would, imagally, he didnt, but his playing did

Yeah ok

Listen to this and tell me he would not be a good fit in Gnr

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mNpynEhfzi0

i retract my previous statement

Sky Dog wrote:

I would pick Izzy.....Ron can do Bucket and Robin....Fortus can cover Robin as well. We need Izzy for the coolness factor.

Obviously, I want Bucket back and let Ron do Robin but we didn't have that choice.:buckethead:

Slashisvr
 Rep: 8 

Slashisvr wrote:
madagas wrote:

I would pick Izzy.....Ron can do Bucket and Robin....Fortus can cover Robin as well. We need Izzy for the coolness factor.

Obviously, I want Bucket back and let Ron do Robin but we didn't have that choice.:buckethead:

Izzy, well..... one of the best songwriters that have graced GNR

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

There's no need for a player like Bucket or John 5 to cover Finck's role. She'd never do it, but someone like Liz Phair could be brought in to a touring lineup.

Reid actually isn't a bad choice.

Thayil would be my choice, but he'd never do it.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Buckethead would be obvious..

Problem being, you're trying to hire a new guitar player for the guitarlead slot before the album is even out. It means playing the riffs and the songs of the former guy who used to play the riffs and songs of the former guy before that. It's hilarious.

GNR got a major problem on their hands regarding this. People compare it to Izzy in 91 or what the fuck but this is not the same. GNR are trying to launch an album as a band (whatever that might mean) and the guitar player for 10 years isn't there anymore. So you potentially have to get a new guy to play Robin's parts and you already got Bfoot playing Buckethead's parts. Im sure a lot of people would jump at the idea of copying Robin and Slash's stuff, but if I wasa guitar player driven on at least some idealism, I would think twice about it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
DCK wrote:

Buckethead would be obvious..

Problem being, you're trying to hire a new guitar player for the guitarlead slot before the album is even out. It means playing the riffs and the songs of the former guy who used to play the riffs and songs of the former guy before that. It's hilarious.

GNR got a major problem on their hands regarding this. People compare it to Izzy in 91 or what the fuck but this is not the same. GNR are trying to launch an album as a band (whatever that might mean) and the guitar player for 10 years isn't there anymore. So you potentially have to get a new guy to play Robin's parts and you already got Bfoot playing Buckethead's parts. Im sure a lot of people would jump at the idea of copying Robin and Slash's stuff, but if I wasa guitar player driven on at least some idealism, I would think twice about it.

It is a major problem, and Finck's departure really showed that things aren't sunshine and lollipops in GNR land.

The revolving door has to stop. The band can never get an identity. Now fans of the CD era band are split into various factions: Bucket fans, Bucket haters, Bumble lovers, Fortus worshippers, Huge haters, the " Frank is John Bonham" nuts, Finck haters, Finck nutswingers, a quirky Pitman fanbase, people who don't give two shits about any new incarnation,  and all this and not one album has been released.

The current lineup isn't even marketable, and if I realize this, I know Azoff realizes it.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Exactly. People who says that this GNR can just continue with their plan with or without Robin Finck is horribly naive or on some cloud I will not reach any time soon. Its one thing to loose Izzy when you got a mass amount of hype anyway or loose Slash when GNR was a band stuck in a time where rock n roll and solos were un-cool. But to loose their guitar player for 10 years and a huge contributor to their sound, new songs and image is another ballgame. And that happens even before they're pushing the album! Finck can be replaced..ANY musician can be replaced..its just tones and sounds...thats not what Im talking about.

To compare Finck's departure to ANY other GNR departure is retarded. Even Buckethead. Buckethead was the biggest blow since Slash but the album never came out anyway. Now they potentially got an album with sounds and music very BH'ish or Finck'ish and they're not even in the band. Its copies of copies and a reserve solution to the reserve solution. It have to stop. If theyre launching this as a band they have to have a band.

I cant believe how naive some people in GNR land are about this.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i have no idea....i'm sure it'll be someone we've never heard of

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Just for the record, it wasn't marketable with Robin either.  He's not a difference maker...well, not in a good way at least.  He's where he belongs...

Board footer