You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: Libertad Fails - Will nuGNR follow?

Well that's part of the problem. People are looking back for music instead of following what's new.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

absolutely...a good album will sell....a very good album will sell even better....regardless of what advances the piracy industry makes....there are more than enough "legit" people out there who will buy a product instead of (or in addition to) downloading it....

Libertad was let down by a terrible choice of singles...first and foremost....and also by the fact that the novelty of the VR brand wore off with the first album....they copied themselves, which is the worst thing you can do as an artist....

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

BrokenGlassNCigs wrote:

It will defintiely sell more than Libertad. Absolutely.

Look at it this way, MTV cares - they are gonna promote it (award shows, Axl appearances, the Kurt Loder factor). Rolling Stone definitely cares - they are going to promote all over their website, their magazine (cover, articles, reviews). The curiousity factor with casual fans who have been waiting a LONG time will buy it.

It most definitely will not live up to 14 years of work, but, it won't bomb. It'll sell well, me thinks.

RS definately doesn't care, they've been about as anti GNR as any publication out there since the 13 Tuesdays debacle. RS were new GNR's biggest fans in 06 until Merck in his infinate wisdom attacked them publically for breaking news of what turned out to be an inaccurate release date. RS have been pretty anti GNR ever since. They might jump back on the bandwagon when the album comes out but I wouldn't count on it.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
elmir wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

JB, its the times we are living in. Even quality albums aren't doing well.

Back to Black is selling pretty well at the moment...well, it has been for quite some time now....and how would you explain the 200.000-odd a year which AFD still manages to rake up?...GH is still selling by a truckload in comparison with similar compilations....surely, people would much rather download that material, especially the older one than go out and buy it?

Yeah, Back to Black is an odd anomaly. Every now and then you will see an album in this era take off like that. I just downloaded quite a few of her songs the other day, and will probably buy that album next time I go to Best Buy.

As far as AFD goes, its a classic album. All of those all time greats(AFD, Thriller, Dark Side of the Moon,etc.) will always sell records.

jac185
 Rep: 3 

jac185 wrote:

CD's sequel will sell less than CD will just like Libertad did after Contraband.

However, whilst Libertad was always going to sell less, it also had a whole host of other factors that should be taken into account for it selling so much less, so i doubt that, should GNR manage to become a real band in commercial terms and stick around for a few years that they'll have quite the same drop-off.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

A good first single is what sells albums. Admittedly other factors come into too such as the artist or the anticipation for the album but as a general rule a good first single is what will set the ball rolling better than anything. VR didn't have one on Libertad, hence the poor sales.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer